Most Meaningful Selection: Make or Break an Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeGibbs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be over-thinking this too much, but I only chose 2 most meaningful activities (MM) on my AMCAS. Is this fine, or am I hurting my chances by not having 3? The 2 are:

1. Undergrad research (1600hrs); MM because it was my first experience into academic science, and where I first worked on an independent project. Talked in great detail about thought process, the autonomy, and how all that affect my drive and passions for MD/PhD. Also in my Significant research essay but I focused a little less on personal impact and more on the science/thought/methods.
  2. Crisis Call Line Volunteer (350hrs); MM because I wanted to give back to the same crisis center that provided me care when my mental health was not in a good place. Overall, I wanted my MM experiences to shed light on aspects not covered in my other essays.
I did not pick a clinical one because I talked extensively about my clinical experiences and motivations/passions in my "Why Medicine" PS, and did not want to repeat myself.

My second research experience is a NIH Post-bacc (2000hrs atm, 4000 by matriculation). This made a large bulk of my Significant Research essay, and a bit in "Why MD/PhD." Did not choose it as most meaningful because I felt that I wouldn't be adding anything new that wasn't already talked about in Significant Research essay and "Why MD/PhD."

Am I hurting myself by not using all 3, or worse by not using all 3 AND not listing the other research experience as MM?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest clicking the NIH post-bac as a most meaningful experience.... no need to have a longer description if you describe it in the essay.

I think this particular person already submitted their primary application and only selected those two most meaningful.

I'm only an applicant, but my friend (anecdotes galore) only had two most meaningful experiences for similar reasons and she was admitted to a few T10s, so I don't think it'll be a deal breaker. Take this with a grain of salt, though, since n=1.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this particular person already submitted their primary application and only selected those two most meaningful.

I'm only an applicant, but my friend (anecdotes galore) only had two most meaningful experiences for similar reasons and she was admitted to a few T10s, so I don't think it'll be a deal breaker. Take this with a grain of salt, though, since n=1.

Yup already submitted, and I think I just have post-submission neuroticism. Really hope that not having the 2nd research experience as MM wouldnt call my dedication into questioning, despite talking about it in-depth in my other essays.

Yup already submitted, and I think I just have post-submission neuroticism. Really hope that not having the 2nd research experience as MM wouldnt call my dedication into questioning, despite talking about it in-depth in my other essays.

I think you'll be fine. Don't worry about it too much, especially since there's not much you can do now anyways. Just focus on your secondaries/interviews when you get them.

In my experience, applicants usually list only 1 research experience as most meaningful. Every year we have some that do not designate any of their research experiences as most meaningful. I really like those applications because I can make a decision in the blink of an eye.

Reactions: 1 user
In my experience, applicants usually list only 1 research experience as most meaningful. Every year we have some that do not designate any of their research experiences as most meaningful. I really like those applications because I can make a decision in the blink of an eye.

Does that mean if you see an MD-PhD applicant who doesn't list any of their research experiences as most meaningful, you treat it as a red flag?

I'm curious - if an applicant designates all three of their most meaningful experiences as research experiences, is that also concerning in your eyes?

From my perspective, it is a definite red flag if no research experiences are designated as most meaningful. I would find it hard to understand why someone who wants to train twice as long for a job that pays half as much as private practicewould not consider research to be among their three most meaningful AMCAS experiences. On the other hand, our dean of MD admissions would wonder why someone who listed only research experiences as meaningful would have any interest in practicing medicine. Most MD-PhD applicants list one research, one clinical/social service, and one other (leadership, avocational, etc.).

Reactions: 5 users
From my perspective, it is a definite red flag if no research experiences are designated as most meaningful. I would find it hard to understand why someone who wants to train twice as long for a job that pays half as much as private practicewould not consider research to be among their three most meaningful AMCAS experiences. On the other hand, our dean of MD admissions would wonder why someone who listed only research experiences as meaningful would have any interest in practicing medicine. Most MD-PhD applicants list one research, one clinical/social service, and one other (leadership, avocational, etc.).

This is concerning to me because I didn't choose my research to be most meaningful experience, but not because it's not meaningful. It was simply a decision based on word limits and trying to create a full, well rounded application. I figured that if I am going to have a 10,000 character essay about my research experiences, I could go into full detail about how I learned and grew from my research experiences there, after speaking about the hypothesis and results of course. I chose clinical/shadowing, a volunteer position, and a leadership position as my most meaningful experiences because I knew I wouldn't have a chance to expand on them in other parts of my application, but I still think they are important. Would this be a red flag even after going through the entire application, essays included @Maebea ? What are your thoughts, @Fencer and @MSTPadvocate? Sorry, I'm a little worried now and hoping I didn't tank my application because of this.

Last edited:
It is too late to make changes. At this point, let's hope that your essays and LORs carry you over.
Well I haven't submitted my research and MDPHD essays yet because I wanted more time to polish them up. Would it be strange to make note in my research essay at the beginning saying something to the effect of "my research experiences were some of the most meaningful experiences in my decision to pursue a physician-scientist career"? Should I explicitly say that I did not mark it as a most meaningful experience in my activities section because I wanted to also highlight other parts of my application that I could not expand on elsewhere, especially because those most meaningful activities that I did select do support my overall research interests?

Reactions: 1 user
If AMCAS reopens your application to upload additional essays, in the past, it allowed you to make additional changes to your application. I don't know what it looks like from your side, this year/application cycle. If it allows you to edit (and you want to go MD/PhD route), then make sure that research is one of your most meaningful experiences. If you can't change it, hopefully your essays convey that you won't be able to feel satisfied unless there is research within your professional career.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I haven't submitted my research and MDPHD essays yet because I wanted more time to polish them up.

Ahhh the old MD-only verification bait and switch ;)

Reactions: 1 users
If AMCAS reopens your application to upload additional essays, in the past, it allowed you to make additional changes to your application. I don't know what it looks like from your side, this year/application cycle. If it allows you to edit (and you want to go MD/PhD route), then make sure that research is one of your most meaningful experiences. If you can't change it, hopefully your essays convey that you won't be able to feel satisfied unless there is research within your professional career.
Thank you for your input, @Fencer! I believe in my application and that my desire to do research will be clear in my essays and LORS. I just had a mini panic for a moment, but I think I'll be ok if adcoms truly do a holistic review of my app rather than just focusing on my activities section. This process can really mentally mess with you lol.

so.. seems a bit late for @medjustice, but word of advice to other applicants: if multiple MD/PhD adcoms are telling you to do something, and you're applying MD/PhD, it is prudent to follow their recommendations. There is a reason they tell you that research needs to be checked off as one of the most meaningful. They likely can't tell you the specific of why they're requesting this, but still trying to help you out.
notice that in all replies, having research come across clearly in essays is only a "next best option" rather than "an equal alternative"

Reactions: 3 users
Just realized that the clinical experience that I marked as most meaningful also mentioned me working in the lab of one the doctors that I shadowed and recognizing how clinical experience informed the research directions of another physician-scientist that I shadowed. I talk about both of these experiences in more detail in my longer essays. I hope this will be somewhat ok.