Most satisfying part

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcus_aurelius

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all you docs and residents out there....

What is the most satisfying part of being a PMR doc?

Members don't see this ad.

marcus_aurelius said:
To all you docs and residents out there....

What is the most satisfying part of being a PMR doc?

Its not easy to narrow it down to one thing, there's a bunch:

1) helping those with severe disabilities recover to get back to work, play, traveling, golfing, whatever they were doing before

2) the close contact with patients and family members

3) the hours that are usu lighter than that of other fields (depending how hard you want to work)

4) the advancements being made in pain, spasticity management

5) interest in sports medicine

6) the 'newness' of the field. Although its been around many decades, I think PM&R is starting to really blossom. Research esp in the musculoskeletal sciences (sports, amputee) is picking up. This allows a person entering the field to feel that they can be a 'mover and shaker' b/c there is so much research that needs to be done.

7) the culture of residents of faculty: this is a generalization, but they tend to be very friendly and sociable. It seems as though everyone who chooses this field emphasizes having a life outside of work. B/c it is a small field, there is a lot of camraderie and "we're all in it together" type of feeling among physiatrists.

8) the breadth of clinical opportunities available: you can work in inpatient, outpatient, peds, adult, multidisciplinary, single specialty. Docs can carve out their own niche.

Members don't see this ad :)
how about your interactions with neurosurgeons and orthosurgeons....is it good...ie mutual respect....or is it a similiar relationship as seen in anesthesia?

Most satisfying part--all of the above mentioned.

As for ortho & ns... having done rotations with both, I'd have to say that they treated me as a colleague like any other. If anything, IM gives me a harder time for being pm&r. I think is person-dependent. Some folks have a real superiority/inferiority complex, and it doesnt matter who they work with. But the fact is, we offer services that make the lives of surgeons a little easier.

AviatorDoc said:
Most satisfying part--all of the above mentioned.

As for ortho & ns... having done rotations with both, I'd have to say that they treated me as a colleague like any other. If anything, IM gives me a harder time for being pm&r. I think is person-dependent. Some folks have a real superiority/inferiority complex, and it doesnt matter who they work with. But the fact is, we offer services that make the lives of surgeons a little easier.

heck IM give ER docs no respect... Platics give derm no respect... OB gives FP no respect, etc, etc everyone tries to pump them selves up to cover their own inferiority complexes.

jsaul said:
heck IM give ER docs no respect... Platics give derm no respect... OB gives FP no respect, etc, etc everyone tries to pump them selves up to cover their own inferiority complexes.

It always bemuses me to see the ED attending and the MAR/MOD arguing over the "soft" admit.

CasaElGato said:
It always bemuses me to see the ED attending and the MAR/MOD arguing over the "soft" admit.

just like when I hear the surgeon b1tch and moan to the PCP and vice versa over who's going to treat 75 year old Mrs. Smith with chronic abd pain.

the fact is this goes on with all fields of medicine. i have been in Priv prac now for about 5 years and see this all the time