Most to least popular dental residencies and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the most and least popular dental residencies and why? Is there a publication on the numbers of people that apply and acceptance stats?

Members don't see this ad.

SilentCool posted this the other day: https://natmatch.com/dentres/stats/2014sumstats.html

In terms of # of applicants it looks like it goes (in terms of # of applicants) GPR>Pedo>AEGD>Ortho>OMS>ANES but that's obviously not an exhaustive list, nor does it really give you the complete picture of "popularity" of the residency.

Interested to see the other responses that pop up here...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If I had to hazard a guess, there would be a shift from Ortho/OMS in D1 to Peds/GPR by D4.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
dental rads and dental path...no hand skills required

What about Pros, Perio, and Endo? How popular are they? Do they not participate in Match?

Last edited:
What's least popular? How many people apply to oral medicine oral path compared to spots?

What's least popular? How many people apply to oral medicine oral path compared to spots?

It wouldn't surprise me if those fields will pay your 500K dental student loans because there are so few people who want to enter them.

I wonder if there is a list of average salaries by specialty? Safe to say that has direct bearing on desirability. I thought some oral pathologists make decent bank (similar to GPs). I guess no one wants more school for same money.

Money = desireability

OS>pedo>GP with implant training>endo>perio>ortho/gp/prosth>rads or path

This is just based off my subjective knowledge. This changes based on location, but generally more desireable places you will make less due to saturation. I also think pedo incomes will tank in a few years due to programs expanding like crazy. Also take into consideration some post grad programs charge more tuition unlike medicine. So you are losing lost income as a gp plus tuition with interest, a triple negative. Very few recent grad I know is on easy street post residency. Most are living frugally paying off loans unlike the dumb ones. This goes for any specialty or gp. There's more variables in the equation now then what's the average income since most are all down across the board.

Last edited:
Money = desireability

OS>pedo>GP with implant training>endo>perio>ortho/gp/prosth>rads or path

This is just based off my subjective knowledge. This changes based on location, but generally more desireable places you will make less due to saturation. I also think pedo incomes will tank in a few years due to programs expanding like crazy. Also take into consideration some post grad programs charge more tuition unlike medicine. So you are losing lost income as a gp plus tuition with interest, a triple negative. Very few recent grad I know is on easy street post residency. Most are living frugally paying off loans unlike the dumb ones. This goes for any specialty or gp. There's more variables in the equation now then what's the average income since most are all down across the board.

Ortho does better than GPs...GPs are the lowest for sure...see if you guys can get a hold of the ADA average income report from 2012...the numbers arent accurate but it should give you an idea of how they compare

Like I said it varies on location, different people's friends, etc. Someone will always know their GP friend that places 200 implants a year, their ortho friend who started 50 cases last week, or their prosth friend that says he only does full mouth rehabs. Just based off my own opinions and from talking to people in my area that just what it seems to be as far as income.

Is a 3 yr Pros residency even worth it? It seems to be the least profitable specialty due to its high overhead, and fluctuates with the economy due to its cosmetic demands. It also seems most of its residents are foreign dentists doing it to gain a US license.

People don't go into pros chasing the money. With that in mind, I think pros is completely worth it. Almost daily I see something absolutely wild (granted I'm still in training) - I would be so bored doing general dentistry. And, without trying to sound high and mighty, I spend a good amount of time remaking stuff that was attempted by a GP who tried to bite off more than he/she could chew. Especially this part of the country (San Antonio) - I've seen more than a few patients who went to Mexico for "discounted" treatment that now needs to be completely redone 2 years later.

Is pros financially worth it? Probably not on paper. Just like anything in dentistry so much of your financial compensation is dependent on chairside manner, business sense, and more than a little luck. Which is why I have said and will ALWAYS say that choosing a specialty based on projected financial compensation is a horrible idea. That said, there is plenty of money to be made in pros. Just look at ClearChoice.