Mount Sinai Waiting List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This totally sucks. I don't have time to wait another 2 weeks for MSSM to decide to take me. I need to get housing now or be stuck living at a less than desirable location. If what has been said is true, then I might as well commit to an apt and withdraw from MSSM's waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

pekq said:
This totally sucks. I don't have time to wait another 2 weeks for MSSM to decide to take me. I need to get housing now or be stuck living at a less than desirable location. If what has been said is true, then I might as well commit to an apt and withdraw from MSSM's waitlist.

Yea, the waiting list problems at many schools involve this really long delay for some people. Imagine people who are drawn off the list the day before classes as has happened at some schools. What the heck do you do then?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a rush yesterday, so I don't feel that I got a chance to properly vent to you guys about how annoyed I am with the current situation. On the one hand, I feel like it is good that since we weren't pulled off, other people weren't either. On the other hand, I think it is really uncool that they led us to believe they were taking people off this week and then just didn't. Like medicalmedical, I am adjusting to the mentality that I am going to Tulane in the Fall, while still holding a shred of hope that Sinai will end up taking people off the waitlist and I will be one of them.

Thanks to everyone who was accepted and posted to let us know about the number of acceptees on that email. That is very helpful information.

Like many of you, I am also going on vacation for all of July, but I wish you all the best of luck at Sinai or whatever school you end up going to.

arikansas said:
I was in a rush yesterday, so I don't feel that I got a chance to properly vent to you guys about how annoyed I am with the current situation. On the one hand, I feel like it is good that since we weren't pulled off, other people weren't either. On the other hand, I think it is really uncool that they led us to believe they were taking people off this week and then just didn't. Like medicalmedical, I am adjusting to the mentality that I am going to Tulane in the Fall, while still holding a shred of hope that Sinai will end up taking people off the waitlist and I will be one of them.

Thanks to everyone who was accepted and posted to let us know about the number of acceptees on that email. That is very helpful information.

Like many of you, I am also going on vacation for all of July, but I wish you all the best of luck at Sinai or whatever school you end up going to.

I know, I"m frustrated as well, but at the same time thankful. I just want to move on with my life and this news has helped me do that big time.

But one thing has been popping back into my head from time to time and I'm sorry to bring it up, I don't intend to throw some more confusion into the mix. But, at my interview, it was mentioned a number of times that they were accepting 140 and not 120 this year. Both students, faculty and admissions folk said this. Did anyone else hear that? I don't want to start rumours or anything and from the looks of things, that doesn't seem to be happening. Nonetheless, I wanted to see if anyone else was told that.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Thanks everyone.

I don't know anything about this 140 vs. 120 students business...it sounds interesting though; may be worth calling to find out about it. I emailed Kelliann Bailey to find out if she expects there to be additional movement in two weeks/in July/ever...she is out of the office until Wednesday. I'm not sure whether she would accurately be able to answer that now anyway. In any case, I would guess that there will be SOME additional movement given the fact that there still are people who will defer or be accepted somewhere else. It seems like it would be very atypical for there to just be one round of taking people off the waitlist.

I just want to say that I hope everyone here has a previous acceptance that they can find themselves proud about and happy with. I too, was hoping to get off the Sinai waitlist, but in all honesty, I am extremely excited to go to Jefferson at this point. If I get into Sinai, that will be a pleasant surprise, and I will go, but I really believe that at this point, we should all be proud of our accomplishments. I worked at Mount Sinai for two years, I know the students well, i love the neighborhood. It is a good place, but it is not such a fantastic place that we should forget to be grateful and excited for whatever school we will be heading to in the absence of any movement on Sinai's list. I, for one, feel that having the opportunty to go to any medical school, whether Mount Sinai or not, is something to be very, very excited about. So I hope you can all begin to get excited about heading off to wherever, and stop holding your breath for Sinai. If they come through, you will have something else to be happy about. If they do not, you did not waste your summer lamenting over Sinai when you could be getting fired up for medschool. :thumbup:

Ozymandsss said:
I just want to say that I hope everyone here has a previous acceptance that they can find themselves proud about and happy with. I too, was hoping to get off the Sinai waitlist, but in all honesty, I am extremely excited to go to Jefferson at this point. If I get into Sinai, that will be a pleasant surprise, and I will go, but I really believe that at this point, we should all be proud of our accomplishments. I worked at Mount Sinai for two years, I know the students well, i love the neighborhood. It is a good place, but it is not such a fantastic place that we should forget to be grateful and excited for whatever school we will be heading to in the absence of any movement on Sinai's list. I, for one, feel that having the opportunty to go to any medical school, whether Mount Sinai or not, is something to be very, very excited about. So I hope you can all begin to get excited about heading off to wherever, and stop holding your breath for Sinai. If they come through, you will have something else to be happy about. If they do not, you did not waste your summer lamenting over Sinai when you could be getting fired up for medschool. :thumbup:
Thanks for that post!!
I have been following this thread for a while now and my anxiety level about getting off Sinai's waitlist was almost off the charts. But as you said, we should be grateful to have been accepted to other med schools.
Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted and Good Luck to Everyone else! :)

Thanks for the post. I've been driving myself crazy about the recent news. Your post really put everything in perspective. I've been hearing the same thing from friends adn family member, but it's great to hear it from someone who's going through the same experience.

Ozymandsss said:

cje2008 said:
Thanks for the post. I've been driving myself crazy about the recent news. Your post really put everything in perspective. I've been hearing the same thing from friends adn family member, but it's great to hear it from someone who's going through the same experience.

Great post. I agree. Thank you. :)

Has anybody been sending recent update letters? I feel as if I've already sent a bunch of these but I doubt sending more could possibly hurt. If so, have you been making them out to anyone in specific or just to the admissions office?

Also, I've heard that most waitlist movement occurs in July which is so late that it's painful.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you have something to update them on, it doesnt seem like it could hurt to send it. i sent previous letters to kelliann bailey but you could probably send them to scott barnett if you wanted; they all end up in the same place anyway (your file or the garbage can, depending on their mood).

anymore news? has anyone called? or are we still waiting for them to have their little meeting NEXT week? :D

Nah, I don't think there is any news right now. At least from what we know here on SDN. Personally, I'm just going on with life. I think we should definitely keep each other updated...but I'm not holding my breath. The enternal optimisit in me, however, still hopes that we all get the good word from adcom soon. Be in touch and take care.

Hey guys, I got some news from the horse's mouth today. I know for a fact that the entire admissions staff is having a meeting next Thursday, July 1st. Hopefully they'll be making some acceptance offers at that point. :)

As usual, thanks Flash!!!

July 1 is Canada Day!

Maybe that means they adcom will send some lovin my way!!! :)

I'll already be soaking up the sun and drinking some cocktails at the dock at my cottage in northern Ontario celebrating this amazing country, so I'll be in the mood for a party.... :D

Ahhhhh...we can wish can't we? :luck: :laugh:

I am here in 'Hawaii', relaxing by the way my AMCAS id # is ********, and just in case my ss # is *********i am very interested in this thread, i really want for there to be great news for everybody.

Anyway, what I really hope is that I am the only one in the waitlist from Hawaii and somebody from MSSM ADCom recognises me and sees the dedication I have for this thread and MSSM and bumps me up in the alternate list.

I hope this is not to blunt.

Good luck everyone, of course assuming that I get in before all of you.

:) :)

hi all,

as to the 140 vs. 120 issue, we students had been hearing rumors about this too. so i asked Dean Smith (dean of the medical school) whether it was true. he absolutely denied it. there's just not enough space in the lecture halls or the MD labs.

but have hope! 120 isn't an absolute number. my class (class of 2007) had 123 students, so it's 120 give or take.

good luck to everyone!
greenwitch

Thanks everyone for your info. I just found this forum and website! I'm going to Rush out in Chicago if I don't get into Mt. Sinai. I really wanted to go back east (where I'm originally from), but who knows. :)

i called and got confirmation that there is definitely a meeting late this week.

The meeting is today, right? Anybody else going absolutely crazy???? :eek:

I got word from the dean that they've already met in the morning. Hopefully some of you guys get word today. :thumbup:

Greetings. I just got an email from K. Bailey this morning that seemed promising...and also disturbing.

"I understand you are still interested in being considered for acceptance at Mount Sinai. Your name came up at our admissions committee meeting today and the committee had a question for you."

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cybersushi said:
Greetings. I just got an email from K. Bailey this morning that seemed promising...and also disturbing.

"I understand you are still interested in being considered for acceptance at Mount Sinai. Your name came up at our admissions committee meeting today and the committee had a question for you."

I'll keep you guys posted.
but you're going to UTSW?

that's just friggin great. now the meeting's over and pple are getting emails. i already feel like my chances are nil.

Mr. Rosewater said:
that's just friggin great. now the meeting's over and pple are getting emails. i already feel like my chances are nil.

I'm right with ya. I already feel dissapointed. Now I have to deal with my obsession to want to check my email every 5 seconds....!

Just got an email from Ms. Bailey saying that they took some people today. So, I am sure you know who you are.

Ozymandsss said:
Just got an email from Ms. Bailey saying that they took some people today. So, I am sure you know who you are.

maybe there's a lot of traffic on the internet, cause i didn't get my email yet.

Last time they had a meeting on Thursday but didn't email people until friday....maybe that's the case this time too....let's hope.

so did anyone actually get an acceptance today?

Yep, Bailey's call was pretty much an acceptance, but I've already set my mind on UTSW and thus withdrew (kinda creepy how she already knew that...) Good luck to the rest of you! My sister is beginning her 4th year at MSSM, so I hope a lot of you get in and bug the crap out of her in my stead!

so i wonder if they're calling people instead of emailing this time....

Bump...any news today?

They basically told me that there was a committee meeting yesterday. However, the admissions office is not yet "aware" of the committee's decision. She was sure that they will be contacting more people next week and she told me to call back after the Holiday.
Ms. Bailey is out until tues. July 5th. Good luck everyone!

Gerry_Doc2b said:
They basically told me that there was a committee meeting yesterday. However, the admissions office is not yet "aware" of the committee's decision. She was sure that they will be contacting more people next week and she told me to call back after the Holiday.
Ms. Bailey is out until tues. July 5th. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for calling Gerry...vague response from them, but still good to hear!

Bump Me....

Any news?

I haven't heard anything from these folks. I just called and the lady said call back tomorrow and she'll have info then. I feel like I'm being strung along. This is breaking my heart. :(

I have some news...here is what Kelli Bailey emailed me:

"We made a few more acceptances last week and everyone has been notified.
The committee will now meet every week until the beginning of school.
Last year we made 10 offers from this point until the first day of
school. We always recommend applicants pursue other institutions where
they have been offered acceptances, rather than wait to be accepted off
the alternate list at Mount Sinai."

All I know is that I am finding myself housing for my other school this weekend - chances of getting off the list are very slim. Sorry everyone :(

I think this year MSSM was a very popular school and many accepted applicants held onto their spots. I hope all of you have been accepted to schools you will be happy attending - in the end, it will all work out.

I got a response from an e-mail that I had sent to her. She pretty much wrote that the majority of the acceptances have gone out. they'll probably take a few more between now and beginning of class...It seems like they are winding down. :(

what schools will y'all be attending if you don't go to Mount Sinai? :)

I almost had a heart attack when I checked my mailbox today and found a big white envelope from MSSM. When I opened it, it was info about the MD/MBA program. Did anyone else get this? I don't know what to think. Why would they be sending this to me now when I am still on the waitlist?

Ozymandsss said:
I almost had a heart attack when I checked my mailbox today and found a big white envelope from MSSM. When I opened it, it was info about the MD/MBA program. Did anyone else get this? I don't know what to think. Why would they be sending this to me now when I am still on the waitlist?

Ugh what a fake out! that's worse than those emails entitled "update to status" that turned out to be "are you still interested?"

I got the same letter about the MD/MBA program...so annoying!!!

I got the white envelope today. This is clearly targeted to students who have a seat in the 2008 class. Why I am I getting this? Does this mean that if I join the program they will take me in. I am so frustrated right now.

BTW, long time reader first time poster.... I just had to release my frustrations some how.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone.

To those who got the white envelope....do you live on the east coast?