Mount Sinai Waiting List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
johnie and tony,
did you guys send any updates or loi's?

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh...I'm such a tool. I have done some research to back up my previously stated theory.

I just couldn't resist the urge and had to call. They basically said (as previously noted) that many people were holding onto their spots and there so far has not been that much movement as in previous years. :mad: They also said that the emails were sent out in bulk after the meetings (which are held every couple of weeks).

Therefore I think we can relax for a bit until the next meeting. :sleep: Of course I could have dialed the wrong number and have been speaking with the cornell people so don't hold me to any of this stuff :laugh: :luck:

Theory number 2...I'm screwed

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I have to say, I am definitely relieved that the list is actually moving. It obviously would have been really nice to get off of the list on Friday, but I feel like I have gotten very good at waiting and being patient (sorta). I want to try to be optimistic--thanks Flash for your pep talk. Maybe I'll get in touch with Kelli Bailey to find out what the expectation is for additional movement...I'll get back to you guys on that. With reference to the theory about keeping people who really want to go Sinai (ie those who write this is my first choice school) on the back burner and not admitting them right away cause they know they will come whenever, I don't think this is the case at all. I would think the school wants to finalize their class as early as possible, and especially at Sinai, I heard that they want people who want them. Granted, I did write that this was my first choice school and I am on the back burner now, though :confused:

Okay, I just talked to someone there who said that movement will be in bulk, and when they next meet will depend on the responses they get from the people they just accepted. Hopefully everyone who was just accepted will decide that they don't want to go AND will let Sinai know asap.

Hi Guys,

I just talked to admissions as well, an older lady with a thick New York Accent????

Sorry to shoot down the theory, and not saying this does, but it doesn't support it either.

She said movement will not be in bulk....I asked that specifically. That it goes according to who withdraws... and when...
She said they don't have regular meetings....

I think she was just telling me whatever she felt like telling me. Who knows anymore. Maybe she just doesn't know.

She did say " ok...why dont' I just check your status". And the answer? No decision yet.

But, I'm not loosing hope. No way. Not just yet.

Who did you guys speak with arkinsas and izzyfine?

Don't adcom pull people off the waitlist depending on who they need to have a diverse class? Thus the list ranking is probably by tier. All us NYC tri-staters are probably in the $hitlist of every tier.

All well, I've begun house hunting. If i find a place and put down the deposit before I hear from MSSM, then it's good bye to NYC for good.

i called earlier and she (i don't know if it's the same lady) told me that it does go in bulk, after i had specifically asked her if the waitlist acceptances go in bulk. hum......strange

Hi! I have been a silent reader with this thread for a while and I guess I just wanted to let you guys know what has been up with me and my experience with the waitlist at Mount Sinai. I, as well, called up Mount Sinai today around 3:45 and got a lady by the name of Diane answer the phone. I usually talk to Kim who does handle my case but she was on vacation. Regardless, Diane told me that "no decision was made" on my application and that they take off people from the list whenever there is a spot. She said that there are plenty of spaces available for their class because a ton of people did not respond yet - let it be accept the offer or deny it. She did not tell me anything about emails going out in bulk, like what littlecorn said. Instead she says that the committee can meet any time they want, in a few days or a few weeks (in which i started to become frightened for life because im really becoming impatient) and then decide to take off whomever they want. I just find all of this kind of strange cause when I got my "what sounded as a really optimistic letter" stating I was on the Alternate List, I called up Admissions back around the end of April to ask how my chances are upon getting accepted into the school...and they said that it was really good. And then I called them up a week or two ago, asking the same question, and they said that she really couldnt say. I just don't know what to believe anymore and I don't want to end up in New Orleans in August! Anyway, best of luck to everyone!!! I am not sure if this entry helped but at least we are all in the same boat for the mean time.

Lots of summer fun! :love:

izzyfine said:
When exactly did you hear?

I got the good news in an email on Friday. I did not send any LOI because I was already doing that to Columbia and didn't want to two time anyone. However, I did interview very very late and was told that the class was already full. I really connected with my interviewer and he told me that the class was ful but that I would most likely be pulled off of the waitlist when the time came. I'm delighted with my good fortune and I wish the best of luck to all SDNers still waiting. Stay positive and let them know you're interested!

Congrats to those accepted on Friday! For all else, I'm with you guys! Reading these posts makes me feel at home with others who are just as anxious and can commiserate. Mount Sinai is my top choice school as well, and the communication process has been frustrating because I'm living abroad right now. Anyhoo, fingers crossed for all of us! :) :)

Hi Folks,

Well, I don't know what to say. Seems like there is some conflicting info going around. Jagstalker and I got told one thing and others got told the opposite.

We just gotto keep heart as "the Flash" so perfectly said and keep hope.

Not much else to do.

:luck: :luck:

Has anyone else besides myself noticed that kelli ann bailey is horrible about responding to emails. I've dealt with other admissions directors and they are great about responding but when you send her an email it seems as though it gets lost in a black hole......

Members don't see this ad :)
NYCguy said:
Has anyone else besides myself noticed that kelli ann bailey is horrible about responding to emails. I've dealt with other admissions directors and they are great about responding but when you send her an email it seems as though it gets lost in a black hole......

I would actually say the complete opposite. Of all the admissons directors, she's the best one I've encountered when it comes to e-mail. What are you e-mailing her about? At some point, she might get slightly annoyed at having hundreds of people asking about their waitlist status (if that's what your e-mailing about). Don't know.

I actually think that Kelli Ann is pretty good about responding to emails, as well. I would say that Drexel is by far the worst school when it comes to responding to email. I definitely sent quite a few emails down a bottomless pit earlier this year and never heard back.

It does seem a little crazy that we are getting such conflicting info about whether acceptances will be in bulk or random, but I guess we just have to wait. Something tells me it is possible that the secretaries genuinely don't know the answers to some of these questions so they just say what they think we want to hear. On a side note, I really think that the way Buffalo handles the waitlist is by far the best method imaginable. I have been sitting on six waitlists (although I got off Tulane now, and I am withdrawing from most others aside from Sinai) for quite a few months, so I am definitely qualified to comment on this matter. For those of you who don't know, Buffalo tells you what your rank is and where they are in terms of pulling people off the list. Honestly, this is such a friendly policy that I really think everyone should engage in it. If I have no chance of getting into Sinai, I want to know now so I can move on with my life. I am sure there are people on the waitlist who really don't have a chance, and I think it would be fair for us to get to know that.

Okay, those are all my thoughts for now. Over and out.

arikansas said:
I actually think that Kelli Ann is pretty good about responding to emails, as well. I would say that Drexel is by far the worst school when it comes to responding to email. I definitely sent quite a few emails down a bottomless pit earlier this year and never heard back.

It does seem a little crazy that we are getting such conflicting info about whether acceptances will be in bulk or random, but I guess we just have to wait. Something tells me it is possible that the secretaries genuinely don't know the answers to some of these questions so they just say what they think we want to hear. On a side note, I really think that the way Buffalo handles the waitlist is by far the best method imaginable. I have been sitting on six waitlists (although I got off Tulane now, and I am withdrawing from most others aside from Sinai) for quite a few months, so I am definitely qualified to comment on this matter. For those of you who don't know, Buffalo tells you what your rank is and where they are in terms of pulling people off the list. Honestly, this is such a friendly policy that I really think everyone should engage in it. If I have no chance of getting into Sinai, I want to know now so I can move on with my life. I am sure there are people on the waitlist who really don't have a chance, and I think it would be fair for us to get to know that.

Okay, those are all my thoughts for now. Over and out.

very true. tell us top 1/2 bottom 1/2 or something. there's nothing worse than not knowing if you're gonna be the next one to get a call or if you're the last name on the list.

TRUE said:
I would actually say the complete opposite. Of all the admissons directors, she's the best one I've encountered when it comes to e-mail. What are you e-mailing her about? At some point, she might get slightly annoyed at having hundreds of people asking about their waitlist status (if that's what your e-mailing about). Don't know.

I love your steadfast devotion to the MSSM admissions office. This last quote was even better:

True warns:
I know you guys are all super-anxious to hear back, but calling them every day or e-maililng and asking when they're going to start moving isn't going to make it go any faster unfortunately.

Seriously man, relax. we're not going to insult your precious admissions office.

Mr. Rosewater said:
I love your steadfast devotion to the MSSM admissions office. This last quote was even better:

True warns:
I know you guys are all super-anxious to hear back, but calling them every day or e-maililng and asking when they're going to start moving isn't going to make it go any faster unfortunately.

Seriously man, relax. we're not going to insult your precious admissions office.

Haha. Ok, whatever. I have SUCH a devotion to their admissions office. Maybe I work there...wouldn't that be something? Or maybe I'm just trying to talk some common sense into people and trying to calm people down. I could care less if you call the admissions office from now until doomsday...it's just not going to help you, nor make the process go any faster. When they're ready to tell you if you got in, they'll e-mail you. It's as simple as that, unfortunately.

TRUE,

Congratulations on MSSM! A wonderful accomplishment. I totally understand you trying to tell us to calm down. I think that is awesome. I tell myself to chill the f**k out everyday. Actually, I find this board very helpful for the chill factor, we all help each other calm down. I for one, don't know of one single Canadian waiting for MSSM (or anyone on a waitlist for that matter) so I have to seek to commisserate with my peers elsewhere, hence my frequent use of this board. :D

But the problem with writing on these boards (and email in general) as opposed to talking in person is that tones are open to interpretation and I can't speak for eveyrone but I think your tone is coming across a little condescending to those of us waitlist folk that are feeling very vulnerable and as if the admissions office is holding our b*lls in the palm of their hands :oops: . That might be why you are getting the reactions you are getting.

I think we all know that calling the admissions office everyday isn't going to make things go any faster. I don't think anyone is calling everyday. It may appear this way because when someone does call, they post it....and that is what makes this board so phenomenal! We are simply trying to get as much information as possible. If we can't know where we are on the waitlist than at least we can know how and maybe even around or approximately when so if we are going to be out of town we can arrange for someone to check our mail or email or voice mail and stuff for renting apartments in other cities we might be going to...and the list goes on. ..

I think I can speak for everyone in saying that this waitlist is a brutal place to be, because all the planning in the world for September will change, if we get that call b/c going to MSSM would be an opportunity I would never in my right mind pass up. And, it affects the people we love, finances and a whole host of other things. Believe me, I'm not complaining about being on the waitlist, I"d rather that than rejection and I tell myself that all the time. But, I feel like I am in medschool purgatory or something.

So, anyways, the point of this post that has now become way way too long is to say, thank you because I can tell your intentions are good...but maybe tone it down a notch cause after all, with any good luck, these folk will be your fellow classmates.

Good luck with all your planning for the start of school and congrats again. :thumbup:

littlecorn: thanks for writing. I do realize that everyone is probably very stressed out waiting to hear back from their waitlist schools. I can only clarify that by no means am I trying to be condescending to anyone nor am I defending the admissions office at all (I think they sohuld tell you where you are on the list). I am just trying to calm people down a bit, nothing more.

Good luck to everyone!!

Just something fun for us to read while on the waitlist/waitlist thread :) (totally not Sinai related)

When I was a kid ...adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up. What with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning uphill both wys through year 'round blizzards carrying their younger siblings on their backs to their one-room schoolhouse where they maintained a straight-Aaverage. Despite their full-time after-school job at the local textile mill where they worked for 35 cents an hour just to help keep their family from starving to death!

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But...Now that I've reached the ripe old age of 36, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've ....got ...it... so...****in'... easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a goddamned Utopia! I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet-we wanted to
know something... we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves!

And there was no email! We had to actually write somebody a letter...with a pen! ... and then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the ****in' mailbox ... and it would take like a week to get there!

And there were no MP3s or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you
had to go to the record store and shoplift it yourself! Or we had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and **** it all up! We didn't have fancy **** like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone
rang, you had no ****in' idea who it was... it could be your boss, your mom, a collections agent, your drug dealer, you didn't know!!! You just had to pick it up and take your chances!

And we didn't have any new age Sony Playstation videogames with high-resolution 3-D graphics. We had the Atari 2600 and Comodore 64! With games like "Space Invaders" and "Asteroids" ...and the graphics sucked ass! Your guy was a little ****in' square! You had to use your imagination!

And there were no multiple levels or screens; it was just one
screen .... And you could never win, the game just kept getting harder and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!!!

When you went to the movie theater there was no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same god damn height! IF a tall guy sat in front of you... you were ****ed! And sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 13 channels and there was no onscreen menu! You had to use a little ****ty book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!
And there was no Cartoon Network! You could only get cartoons on
Saturday morning... ...D'ya hear what the **** I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK, you spoiled little bastards! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled, I swear to God! You guys wouldn't last five minutes back in 1989!

TRUE said:
littlecorn: thanks for writing. I do realize that everyone is probably very stressed out waiting to hear back from their waitlist schools. I can only clarify that by no means am I trying to be condescending to anyone nor am I defending the admissions office at all (I think they sohuld tell you where you are on the list). I am just trying to calm people down a bit, nothing more.

Good luck to everyone!!

Hi True,
I know you weren't intending to be condescending; but I had a bit of a funny reaction to your posts. Anyways, it doesn't matter. Cheers to the good wishes. I hope they come true for all of us. You must be getting real excited!!! Will you be new to NYC? LIving in ARon Hall? HOpefully I"ll join you!
Take Care

littlecorn said:
You must be getting real excited!!! Will you be new to NYC? LIving in ARon Hall? HOpefully I"ll join you!
Take Care

I def. am getting excited. I did my undergrad in NYC so i'm not new to the city by any stretch, though there is so much to do in the city that really, one's always "new" to some part of the city. I will be living in Aron Hall, and I can't wait for that either. Hopefully you, and the others on this thread will be joining me in August :) Looking foward to meeting you all.

Good luck!!

bumping...just to keep this thread alive

TRUE said:
I def. am getting excited. I did my undergrad in NYC so i'm not new to the city by any stretch, though there is so much to do in the city that really, one's always "new" to some part of the city. I will be living in Aron Hall, and I can't wait for that either. Hopefully you, and the others on this thread will be joining me in August :) Looking foward to meeting you all.

Good luck!!

4 years already in NYC!!! lucky. And now another four more!!! Just awesome.
Have some fun before school start

Just got an e-mail stating the next batch of decision will come in another week. I guess at the rate I am procrastinating on housing, I shouldn't have trouble going to MSSM if they take me off. On another note, I really need to stop procrastinating on housing :oops: .

HI Pekq,
Thanks for posting!! Who did you get an email from?

so, that email almost gave me a heart attack when i saw it in the inbox. needless to say i was pretty sad when i saw what it actually was. anyway, i'm wondering, did anyone on the WL not get an email? i wonder if that means those of us who got the email are high on the list.

I didn't get an email. But, I've never gotten a waitlist email from them before about anything ie...second look. :( My heart just sank.

hey guys,

i'm on the mssm waitlist, but i didn't get an email from them today. i did get the 2nd look email though. guess i'm pretty low on their list..oh well. good luck to those who really want to go there!

I didn't get a second look e-mail. I guess they are just disorganized. Maybe we are reading too much into it.

Reactions: 1 user
Mr. Rosewater said:
so, that email almost gave me a heart attack when i saw it in the inbox. needless to say i was pretty sad when i saw what it actually was. anyway, i'm wondering, did anyone on the WL not get an email? i wonder if that means those of us who got the email are high on the list.

I didn't get the email...that makes me a little worried. I did get the 2nd look email though. Maybe it is true that only the people who are higher on the list received the email about the next round of acceptances??

ashtie said:
I didn't get the email...that makes me a little worried. I did get the 2nd look email though. Maybe it is true that only the people who are higher on the list received the email about the next round of acceptances??

it could just be alphabetical or something. i got it but my last name is pretty close to the beginning of the alphabet. i wouldn't stress. the wording of the email made it seem like it was going out to everyone on the list.

hope i didn't make anyone anxious (more anxious). i wouldn't read much into it. it's just that when you have so little info, you begin to grasp at straws.

medicalmedical said:
it could just be alphabetical or something. i got it but my last name is pretty close to the beginning of the alphabet. i wouldn't stress. the wording of the email made it seem like it was going out to everyone on the list.

Who did you get the email from? What do you guys think about emailing Kelli Ann and asking her when the next batch will be sent out?? I don't know if i have the nerve and I"m not sure what it will accomplish. Opinions?

Arg I didnt get that email...why are they just sending email to some people? I can only guess it is because they sent it to the people that they are going to take off....yikes.

Try to think positively...

littlecorn said:
Who did you get the email from? What do you guys think about emailing Kelli Ann and asking her when the next batch will be sent out?? I don't know if i have the nerve and I"m not sure what it will accomplish. Opinions?

i pm'ed you littlecorn

So why didn't i get the second look e-mail? What's up with that?

i called- here's the deal.

There are 3 people handling all the emails- one of them got done faster than the rest. So sit tight, you all (and i) should be getting emails from them soon enough. relax with the stressing.

mmz6

Thanks mmz6! Much appreciated. It is hard enough just to wait, but when you throw something random into the mix like having only some people get an email like that, you can definitely stir people up. Now we are all back to status quo, waiting til next week when movement should take place again :cool:

i didn't get an E-mail but I did get a voicemail yesterday from Diane in the office to contact them if I was still interested in the waitlist. Technically she said I had not been taken off the waitlist yet, but that they would be taking more people off soon.

So check your voicemails, you may have some more info waiting you!

I called them on wednesday to just check up on my application status and the secretary I spoke with said that they were calling everyone on the waitlist to find out how interested candidates still are about being on the waitlist...she said that since she had me on the phone anyway she would make a note of whether I'm still interested.....so I think they should be calling lots of people eventually about this...just a heads up so people don't get too disappointed if they get a similar call. Good luck guys!

Thanks for all the posts folks!!! Keep em coming!! We are all in this together!! Knowledge is power in this situation.

Have a relaxing weekend everyone. I'm going to think about anything but this waitlist. May next week bring good news for all :luck: :luck: :luck:

Now they are calling people? Arg. I didnt get a call. Did the rest of you get calls? This is really getting kind of crazy...

I got the e-mail but not the call. If the calls and e-mail has no relevance to our chance of getting off the waitlist, then I'd like to complement MSSM for being a disorganized mess.

i just wish they were more forthcoming with information. really, why does it have to be so confidential?

Here's to a new week with lots of potential Sinai acceptances being sent out! Go us! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

arikansas said:
Here's to a new week with lots of potential Sinai acceptances being sent out! Go us! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

bumpiddy bump bump.....any news?

I contacted Kelli Bailey last Friday - she said that they are having another review session to look at WL files on Wed 6/16....so people should hear on Thurs and Fri...I am assuming

Has anyone heard anything else regarding these phone calls and emails to only some people on the list? I'm still very confused by that....... :confused: