Quantcast

Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrKitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I really like Mount Sinai school from its reputation here in New York and everything I read about it so far. It seems like a great school in so many aspects (curriculum, faculty, clinical affiliates, strong emphasis on research, residency placement). But the truth is, all medical schools sound alike in regards to how great they are, if you read their websites. I would really like to hear Mount Sinai students' experiences and what are the school's unique strengths and weaknesses? Does anyone know anything interesting about this school? I am in the prosess of submitting their secondary.

Thank you. :)

badlydrawnvik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
They have some really state of the art equipment there, like the dummies that basically act like real people in every physiological way. Their eyes blink, they respire, they respond to drugs; we got to see them on our tour and it was really cool. Also the Morchand Clinical Center is really nice too, with new rooms for meeting with standardized patients and then there is also this huge room filled with LCD screens where professors watch and critique you. I also found the admissions staff to be one of the friendliest so far. Good luck with your application there, I'm sure you'll love it when you see it.

DrKitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
badlydrawnvik said:
They have some really state of the art equipment there, like the dummies that basically act like real people in every physiological way. Their eyes blink, they respire, they respond to drugs; we got to see them on our tour and it was really cool. Also the Morchand Clinical Center is really nice too, with new rooms for meeting with standardized patients and then there is also this huge room filled with LCD screens where professors watch and critique you. I also found the admissions staff to be one of the friendliest so far. Good luck with your application there, I'm sure you'll love it when you see it.

Thank you, badlydrawnvik, for the input. Good luck with your applications. :)

chemist156

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me more about those dummies that work like humans? Where can I get more information on them?

DrKitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
chemist156 said:
Could anyone tell me more about those dummies that work like humans? Where can I get more information on them?

I don't know, chemist156. I do remember GW website also mentioned human-like mannequins that can be programmed to display symptoms of various diseases. :oops:

pseudoknot

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
badlydrawnvik said:
They have some really state of the art equipment there, like the dummies that basically act like real people in every physiological way. Their eyes blink, they respire, they respond to drugs; we got to see them on our tour and it was really cool.
A growing number of schools have patient simulation. It seems like a great teaching tool; there was an interesting article about it semi-recently in the New Yorker or Atlantic. I think as a med student you'd see the inside of the simulation room for a couple days at most, so maybe you don't want to pick your school on that basis.

RustNeverSleeps

Walker, Texas Ranger
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
badlydrawnvik said:

Aren't those dummies pretty common? I know my school and several others have them as well. I would assume the ones that don't would get them in a couple years...

Risa

like Lisa with an R
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
jrdnbenjamin said:
A growing number of schools have patient simulation. It seems like a great teaching tool; there was an interesting article about it semi-recently in the New Yorker or Atlantic. I think as a med student you'd see the inside of the simulation room for a couple days at most, so maybe you don't want to pick your school on that basis.

The New Yorker article was in late April; I didn't read the Atlantic one.

The schools at which I've seen sims were Harvard and Pitt (Pitt is HUGE on them)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.