Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrKitty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I really like Mount Sinai school from its reputation here in New York and everything I read about it so far. It seems like a great school in so many aspects (curriculum, faculty, clinical affiliates, strong emphasis on research, residency placement). But the truth is, all medical schools sound alike in regards to how great they are, if you read their websites. I would really like to hear Mount Sinai students' experiences and what are the school's unique strengths and weaknesses? Does anyone know anything interesting about this school? I am in the prosess of submitting their secondary.

Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

They have some really state of the art equipment there, like the dummies that basically act like real people in every physiological way. Their eyes blink, they respire, they respond to drugs; we got to see them on our tour and it was really cool. Also the Morchand Clinical Center is really nice too, with new rooms for meeting with standardized patients and then there is also this huge room filled with LCD screens where professors watch and critique you. I also found the admissions staff to be one of the friendliest so far. Good luck with your application there, I'm sure you'll love it when you see it.

badlydrawnvik said:
They have some really state of the art equipment there, like the dummies that basically act like real people in every physiological way. Their eyes blink, they respire, they respond to drugs; we got to see them on our tour and it was really cool. Also the Morchand Clinical Center is really nice too, with new rooms for meeting with standardized patients and then there is also this huge room filled with LCD screens where professors watch and critique you. I also found the admissions staff to be one of the friendliest so far. Good luck with your application there, I'm sure you'll love it when you see it.

Thank you, badlydrawnvik, for the input. Good luck with your applications. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone tell me more about those dummies that work like humans? Where can I get more information on them?

chemist156 said:
Could anyone tell me more about those dummies that work like humans? Where can I get more information on them?

I don't know, chemist156. I do remember GW website also mentioned human-like mannequins that can be programmed to display symptoms of various diseases. :oops:

badlydrawnvik said:
They have some really state of the art equipment there, like the dummies that basically act like real people in every physiological way. Their eyes blink, they respire, they respond to drugs; we got to see them on our tour and it was really cool.
A growing number of schools have patient simulation. It seems like a great teaching tool; there was an interesting article about it semi-recently in the New Yorker or Atlantic. I think as a med student you'd see the inside of the simulation room for a couple days at most, so maybe you don't want to pick your school on that basis.

badlydrawnvik said:

Aren't those dummies pretty common? I know my school and several others have them as well. I would assume the ones that don't would get them in a couple years...

jrdnbenjamin said:
A growing number of schools have patient simulation. It seems like a great teaching tool; there was an interesting article about it semi-recently in the New Yorker or Atlantic. I think as a med student you'd see the inside of the simulation room for a couple days at most, so maybe you don't want to pick your school on that basis.

The New Yorker article was in late April; I didn't read the Atlantic one.

The schools at which I've seen sims were Harvard and Pitt (Pitt is HUGE on them)