Move over 2005......2006 SDNers are here!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter ice cream is also yummy. And, mint chocolate chip and cookies n cream are good. My all time favorite is dacqueri ice from B&R.

Members don't see this ad.

I *may* be a path geek in four years. We'll see.....

heck, by that time the Path forum might very well be the most popular on SDN.... :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
EvoDevo said:
I *may* be a path geek in four years. We'll see.....

heck, by that time the Path forum might very well be the most popular on SDN.... :scared:

Don't be scared. More are becoming assimilated every day! :)

Well, when you go through med school just keep path in mind. What happens to a lot of people is they get all misty-eyed and idealistic about patient care until by the time they realize there are other options or that it isn't for them it's too late. So keep path in mind! :)

After Friday, I have only PEDS and FAMED left! And then-> two months of Pathology. I'm not looking forward to the next 12 weeks of daily clinic, though. In the continuum of things that make my stomach turn, clinic is at the extreme worst end, while inpatient medicine is just a little better. Fortunately, I get to do PEDS and FAMED in Montana and can fish on weekends. May the remainder of 3rd year come to a close quickly for us all!

HI elkchaser how are you? I havent seen you around in a while

Hmm...adenovirus...the work kinda sinds familiar. Maybe I can guess who's lab you're in. Let me know if I'm on the right track...there was another MSTP student in your lab with the initials RW who went into dermatology a few years back. :laugh:

Seriously though, your work sounds very interesting. I have dabbled with adenovirus as well :D

beary said:
CFTR gene transfer to airway epithelia using adenovirus. It's mostly about how much CFTR do you need per cell, how many cells, what type of promoter to use, etc. Pretty fun stuff. What has been driving me nuts though is that about a year ago I totally switched projects and have been studying cilia in Bardet-Biedl Syndrome. That project is more exciting to me since so little is known about it (people have been doing CFTR gene transfer for more than ten years now) but I haven't made enough progress to put it in my thesis. But I would rather be doing experiments on that than writing about stuff I am not even working on anymore. Oh well, one more week. I am sure that once I am back in the clinics I will long for the lab!

Do you do research quant?

sounds interesting

what about idontnovirus

AndyMilonakis said:
Hmm...adenovirus...the work kinda sinds familiar. Maybe I can guess who's lab you're in. Let me know if I'm on the right track...there was another MSTP student in your lab with the initials RW who went into dermatology a few years back. :laugh:

Seriously though, your work sounds very interesting. I have dabbled with adenovirus as well :D

Wow!!! Guess my anonymity is totally shot. :) Do you know RW? He rocks.

i like the picture of caroline from the hit tv show the apprentice its like climbing up the rope in gym class

Members don't see this ad :)
beary said:
I still don't know exactly who you are...just know the lab you're in :)

I met RW at an ASCB meeting back in 2002. We were giving oral presentations at the same minisymposium. He talked about the fiber protein.

AndyMilonakis said:
I met RW at an ASCB meeting back in 2002. We were giving oral presentations at the same minisymposium. He talked about the fiber protein.

That's really neat - small world!

RW did some really fabulous work. I think that someday he will be a mega-superstar - and we can say we knew him back when! :)

I'm going for Path 2006 as well :eek:
Good luck everyone!

Papaya, 2006

beary said:
That's really neat - small world!

RW did some really fabulous work. I think that someday he will be a mega-superstar - and we can say we knew him back when! :)
Absolutely. A 1st author paper in Cell ain't too shabby; that's equivalent to 50 billion first author papers in all other journals :laugh:

Just out of curiosity, where did he end up going for his derm residency?

you spoke of cilia in a previous post. our lab started working on cilia a year ago. so it seems like our lab is intellectually stalking yours with the adenovirus and cilia. Actually, I'm the only one in the lab working on an adenovirus related project and that's because we're collaborating with a group at Baylor.

beary said:
I'm sure AndyM would have stories to share if he has ever had rotavirus. :) Anyway, get well soon if you do have it.

Rotavirus sucks. Very bad stuff. Avoid it at all costs, even if it means failing your pediatrics rotation.

quant said:
HEYYYYYYYYYY
I hit 100+ posts!!!!.....im on my way Andy!!!!!!!!
the force is strong in you buddy. i wish you only the best in the upcoming application year (this applies to all you folks who will be applying for the Match 2K6).

btw, don't even try to keep this thread on track. all efforts to prevent derailing of threads are futile.

AndyMilonakis said:
Just out of curiosity, where did he end up going for his derm residency?

Duke.

AndyMilonakis said:
you spoke of cilia in a previous post. our lab started working on cilia a year ago. so it seems like our lab is intellectually stalking yours with the adenovirus and cilia. Actually, I'm the only one in the lab working on an adenovirus related project and that's because we're collaborating with a group at Baylor.

Hmmm.. I collaborate with an adenovirus-related group at Baylor as well. Is this an HD-Ad group headed by AB? This is going to get too crazy. :)

beary said:
Hmmm.. I collaborate with an adenovirus-related group at Baylor as well. Is this an HD-Ad group headed by AB? This is going to get too crazy. :)
Steeee-rike. AB doesn't ring a bell. The group I'm collaborating now is headed by RJ who works on oncoprotein-mediated targeting of PDZ proteins. It was quite interesting on how the collaboration started. Several years back, I found that a high-risk papillomavirus oncoprotein bound to one of the proteins I was working with. I thought it was interesting but I was already working on too many things at that point and I just put it on the backburner. A few months later, I get an email from a grad student in that lab asking for some of my constructs...we exchanged info...the rest is history. Our lab isn't gonna do much with adenovirus after this paper gets published though. Their lab is gonna take things over from here.

That's cool to hear that RW is at Duke. Actually his research has some interesting relevance to our adenovirus project. I believe he looked at how the fiber protein targeted tight junctions at the extracellular aspect (right?). We're looking at how adenovirus oncoproteins target tight junctions at the intracellular aspect. These viruses are clever and sneaky bastards.

Sounds like really cool stuff Andy. Adenovirus and cilia - can't go wrong with that!

I am the only person in our lab working on cilia so I'm not sure what will happen when I'm gone. But lots of people work on Ad so I'm sure that will continue.

Did you have any time during your M3 year to do much in the lab? My cilia project is going great and I'm really excited about it (I actually considered staying another year in the lab to work on it) and I hate to just leave it. But I know M3 year sucks and I won't have much time.

beary said:
Sounds like really cool stuff Andy. Adenovirus and cilia - can't go wrong with that!

I am the only person in our lab working on cilia so I'm not sure what will happen when I'm gone. But lots of people work on Ad so I'm sure that will continue.

Did you have any time during your M3 year to do much in the lab? My cilia project is going great and I'm really excited about it (I actually considered staying another year in the lab to work on it) and I hate to just leave it. But I know M3 year sucks and I won't have much time.
I found it very difficult to do any research during M3 year. Personally, I did zero benchwork during M3 year since M3 year was such a hectic time. I went into the lab a few times but mainly to hunt down reagents and constructs so that my labmates could ship them off to whatever labs.

I felt it was very difficult to let go of the lab when I entered M3 year. But you just gotta do that. This last year of medical school is quite a bear of it's own and I think you should mainly focus on that.

Fortunately for you, you got your IM rotation out of the way. But Peds, OB/GYN, and Surgery have pretty rough schedules. You'll be working long hours, sometimes against your will. You will sometimes feel, "WTF am I doing here? I could be actually getting some real work done in the lab instead of fetching coffee and random radiographs for the resident." Eventually, you get beaten down and realize that you really don't care for anything during M3 year. :laugh: It's not my intention of painting a depressing picture but put it this way...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. M3 year sucks but it's only one year.

beary said:

Hey Beary
I was reading the research in you guys' group. I think it is cool......a nice mixture of biophysics,electrophysiology and molecular biology
and you guys are looking at practical applications too.....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dont ask how i did it......ask Andy, he knows all about it.

Im a nice harmless guy so dont worry.....

Im actually an IMG doing a PhD in Bioengineering and a compie geek(slightly). I entered my 4th year recently
Regards
Quant......

AndyMilonakis said:
the force is strong in you buddy. i wish you only the best in the upcoming application year (this applies to all you folks who will be applying for the Match 2K6).

btw, don't even try to keep this thread on track. all efforts to prevent derailing of threads are futile.

hey thanks Andy
So How WAS vegas?.....Did you have a fun time?
Did you win anything?
:)
As you can see im gonna get regular in posting on SDN

Regards
Quant

quant said:
Dont ask how i did it......ask Andy, he knows all about it.
Too freaky man. If you were just some random dude, I would've called the cops on your ass! :laugh:

quant said:
hey thanks Andy
So How WAS vegas?.....Did you have a fun time?
Did you win anything?
Vegas kicked ass. Ended up on the losing end but didn't spend all $1000 gambling. Good days + bad days = lost net amount of $300 gambling. The other $700 was spent on other non-gambling related stuff.

quant said:
As you can see im gonna get regular in posting on SDN.
Yeah ok, I'll believe it when I see it! :D

AndyMilonakis said:
Too freaky man. If you were just some random dude, I would've called the cops on your ass! :laugh:

Vegas kicked ass. Ended up on the losing end but didn't spend all $1000 gambling. Good days + bad days = lost net amount of $300 gambling. The other $700 was spent on other non-gambling related stuff.

Yeah ok, I'll believe it when I see it! :D

You are not serious about the cops calling thing are you???
Hey Beary.......I have NO CLUE who you are and im jus farting out of my ass.........

Sure sure....you are going to believe it.....no more lurking.....i jus havta say something!!!!!

So the house won again!!!
The mystery of probability is one the most fantastic things i have learnt here during my PhD......oh well...

quant said:
You are not serious about the cops calling thing are you???
Hehe, I'm just farting outta my ass too, FBI agent Quant! :laugh:
quant said:
Sure sure....you are going to believe it.....no more lurking.....i jus havta say something!!!!!
yeah...keep talkin' outta yer ass ok? :D
quant said:
So the house won again!!!
Dude, the house always wins. But I got quite a lot of quality gambling time in. I gambled for 8-10 hours per day and only ended up losing $300...not bad methinks.

Hey beary, quant may not know who you are now (I think he's lying :laugh: ) but you've already given him too much information. Whatever you do, don't tell him your real name! :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
Whatever you do, don't tell him your real name! :laugh:

welllllllll.................... :scared: :scared:

:idea:

NEVERRRRRRRR MIND NEVERRRRRRRR MIND

I think that this particular line of topic is closed......my lips are sealed, i learnt my lesson andy......I did

quant said:
welllllllll.................... :scared: :scared:

:idea:

NEVERRRRRRRR MIND NEVERRRRRRRR MIND

I think that this particular line of topic is closed......my lips are sealed, i learnt my lesson andy......I did

look at the big brains on quant! :laugh:

it's all good man.

hey guys,

i have been reading all you posts and thought should get on the wagon for the 2006 path match......i heard that path has become one the competitive specialities recently......hope everyone does well and goodluck to all.......

drswam said:
hey guys,

i have been reading all you posts and thought should get on the wagon for the 2006 path match......i heard that path has become one the competitive specialities recently......hope everyone does well and goodluck to all.......

Welcome to the Jungle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (With apologies to GNR)

...............The SDN PATH jungle that is Dr Swam.... :)

beary said:
Hi Brian, I saw in your "location" that you are fighting rotavirus - I hope that you don't actually have that yourself! I had that once and I was sick as a dog. I'm sure AndyM would have stories to share if he has ever had rotavirus. :) Anyway, get well soon if you do have it.

Hi beary--

Happily, I really don't have rotavirus....YET!! But, thanks for thinking of me!! :)

AndyMilonakis said:
The other $700 was spent on other non-gambling related stuff.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

;)

drswam said:
have been reading all you posts and thought should get on the wagon for the 2006 path match......i heard that path has become one the competitive specialities recently......hope everyone does well and goodluck to all.......

Hey drswam. Not sure if path is getting as competitive as a lot of specialties, but it's a lot more so than 6 or 7 years ago!

AndyMilonakis said:
The other $700 was spent on other non-gambling related stuff.

UH OH.......Wasnt paying attention to that sentence!!!!!!!!!!!......HEY ANDY now you GOTTA tell us what was the * ....non-gambling stuff.....*

:laugh: :laugh:

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Hi beary--

Happily, I really don't have rotavirus....YET!! But, thanks for thinking of me!! :)

Hey Brian
great to know you dont have the rotavirus.....

but i noticed that you are a taurus!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEA!!!!

Me Taurus too!!!!!!!!!!!............three cheers for Taureans!

Now that gives me an Idea for a new thread....or do you think its too corny?

yaah said:
Astrology is mumbo-jumbo.

Yaah has spoken....No astrology threads then!!!.......... :(

I'm going to go ahead and put my name in the hat for 2006 as well, even though I haven't ruled out psych entirely just yet. Does anyone know if the trend of path getting more competitive was continued this year? I saw something about the amount of AMGs in path this year sort of stabilized at 60%-ish (is that the number?).

El Duderino said:
I'm going to go ahead and put my name in the hat for 2006 as well, even though I haven't ruled out psych entirely just yet. Does anyone know if the trend of path getting more competitive was continued this year? I saw something about the amount of AMGs in path this year sort of stabilized at 60%-ish (is that the number?).

You have a cool name....welcome anyway!!!!!!!!!

:)

Hey, Lebowski (El Duderino)! I, too, could see myself in psychiatry as I had a great in-patient rotation, but I know that I could never handle out-patient psychiatry. I've been told by many that my interests in both Pathology and Psychiatry make no sense, but I make no apologies. Sad people ain't so much fun, but the crazies make up for it. :eek: :( :eek: :(

El Duderino said:
Over the last few years, pathology has become steadily more competitive. I believe this application cycle was the most competitive it has been--of course, still not as competitive as Derm, Optho, or Rads. There has been a significant rise in AMG applications these past few years and I believe the proportion of AMG applications is well over 60% now. Whether this trend will continue, I'd be curious to see. It all depends on if y'all decide to pursue pathology after all :)

El Duderino said:

Welcome, El Duderino in Dullsville!!

According to what I've read from the NRMP (from those students who matched), the actual percentage of filled programs was something like 91%, which is steady compared with last year (not sure about the number of AMG's, but I think your number is correct). Again, I could be mistaken--all those numbers just make me glaze over--but from what I've seen, Pathology seems to be more popular.

Anyone else have more information?

quant said:
Hey Brian
great to know you dont have the rotavirus.....

but i noticed that you are a taurus!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEA!!!!

Me Taurus too!!!!!!!!!!!............three cheers for Taureans!

Now that gives me an Idea for a new thread....or do you think its too corny?
I'll tell yuh what....I'm stubborn as heck! Taureans unite!

Sorry, yaah!! ;)

elkchaser said:
Hey, Lebowski (El Duderino)! I, too, could see myself in psychiatry as I had a great in-patient rotation, but I know that I could never handle out-patient psychiatry. I've been told by many that my interests in both Pathology and Psychiatry make no sense, but I make no apologies. Sad people ain't so much fun, but the crazies make up for it. :eek: :( :eek: :(

It's not that odd - I have heard from more than a few people that their other choice if they didn't do path might have been psychiatry. I am not sure the full reasons behind it though. For me, I like the science and theory behind psych but simply couldn't deal with the patients day in and day out - I don't like taking care of people who either think 1) They don't want my help but are being forced to see me by someone else; 2) They don't need my help but are beind forced to see me by someone else; 3) They are trying to manipulate me into giving them a certain treatment; or 4) Are just plain nuts. There is a proportion of people who you will help, but it's not enough IMHO for a satisfying career.

Hi everyone, I'm a 2006er also. Nice to meet ya'll! I have always wondered about people who thought psych vs. path. I am doing my third year psych right now, and it is so subjective! We have like 5 attendings who all say something different. "Well, clearly this patient is suffering from this personality disorder or PTSD or whatever..." It just confuses me. What is it that you like about one or the other, and what similarities are there that attract you to them both? Just asking because I have a hard time seeing how you could be split between those two, of all things.

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Welcome, El Duderino in Dullsville!!

According to what I've read from the NRMP (from those students who matched), the actual percentage of filled programs was something like 91%, which is steady compared with last year (not sure about the number of AMG's, but I think your number is correct). Again, I could be mistaken--all those numbers just make me glaze over--but from what I've seen, Pathology seems to be more popular.

Anyone else have more information?

As I posted in the match results thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here at the 2005 stats for Path (anatomic and clinical) based on NRMP

Programs 147
Position 526
Rankings 4,051 (vs 2,453 for US grads)
Ranks/positions 12.2 (vs 4.7 for US grads)
Matches 481 (versus 326 for US grads)
% filled 91.4% (vs 62% for US grads)
unfilled 26

AnnaLee said:
What is it that you like about one or the other, and what similarities are there that attract you to them both? Just asking because I have a hard time seeing how you could be split between those two, of all things.
There is a certain "gut" feeling to Path. Same for Psych. Psych is real social commentary, which is fascinating to me. It is also a much maligned specialty, quite like Path :p

But in terms of the work, I eliminated Psych very easily - those damned drugs. Oh how I do hate drugs.