You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Movie/Show Soundtrack Studying Suggestions?
Started by Gourd
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Originally I started off with first year with heavier EDM and dubstep remixes to get me into a fighting mood. But then I switched over to Spirited Away and Howl's Moving castle as my go to playlists. The Sound tract from the anime Terror in Resonance has a certain magic that is not unlike Interstellar's ability to kind of take you away and help you focus.
Anything without words. I even used some video-game sound tracts.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From which video games?Anything without words. I even used some video-game sound tracts.
Requiem for a dream is what I listen to.
I second the Halo thing--all Halo soundtracks, save for Halo 4 and Halo 5, to me are very well suited for studying. The composer for those soundtracks is like the John Williams of video game music.
I would throw in John Williams as a default choice, including Saving Private Ryan's soundtrack (Hymn of the Fallen, Omaha Beach, Finding Private Ryan), Catch Me If You Can (good jazz music), and the Lincoln soundtrack as well (everything in that soundtrack is solid).
If you want something a bit different, try Syriana by Alexandra Desplat--its a got a nice Middle Eastern vibe to it. He also composed my personal favorite film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Finally, he also did Tree of Life which is a bit more bland, but there are a few good tracks (i.e. Circles).
As for Hans Zimmer, check out The Last Samurai, and especially A Hard Teacher and Idyll's End, both tracks that are very soothing with a Far Eastern touch. Hans's work on Interstellar is of course another great one, although some of the tracks are really loud/cause earache.
Finally, I highly highly recommend Philip Glass--he is to me the best for studying music, especially since he is a minimalist composer so he uses repetitive rhythms in his work so there is no random bang or other sounds in his work. Check out The Fog of War soundtrack, it is easily one of the best, and the documentary is also really interesting!
Hope that helps!
I would throw in John Williams as a default choice, including Saving Private Ryan's soundtrack (Hymn of the Fallen, Omaha Beach, Finding Private Ryan), Catch Me If You Can (good jazz music), and the Lincoln soundtrack as well (everything in that soundtrack is solid).
If you want something a bit different, try Syriana by Alexandra Desplat--its a got a nice Middle Eastern vibe to it. He also composed my personal favorite film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Finally, he also did Tree of Life which is a bit more bland, but there are a few good tracks (i.e. Circles).
As for Hans Zimmer, check out The Last Samurai, and especially A Hard Teacher and Idyll's End, both tracks that are very soothing with a Far Eastern touch. Hans's work on Interstellar is of course another great one, although some of the tracks are really loud/cause earache.
Finally, I highly highly recommend Philip Glass--he is to me the best for studying music, especially since he is a minimalist composer so he uses repetitive rhythms in his work so there is no random bang or other sounds in his work. Check out The Fog of War soundtrack, it is easily one of the best, and the documentary is also really interesting!
Hope that helps!
Can't really help you if you want calm, but 2 Steps from Hell does some amazing work. Them and most other trailer composing groups (Audiomachine, Epic North, etc) make for very good study music.
Failing that, anything by Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Michael Giacchino, Howard Shore, Klaus Badelt, Inon Zur, John Williams, Atli Orvarsson, Alexandre Desplat, or Jeremy Soule.
Failing that, anything by Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Michael Giacchino, Howard Shore, Klaus Badelt, Inon Zur, John Williams, Atli Orvarsson, Alexandre Desplat, or Jeremy Soule.
From which video games?
I second the Halo thing--all Halo soundtracks, save for Halo 4 and Halo 5, to me are very well suited for studying. The composer for those soundtracks is like the John Williams of video game music.
I would throw in John Williams as a default choice, including Saving Private Ryan's soundtrack (Hymn of the Fallen, Omaha Beach, Finding Private Ryan), Catch Me If You Can (good jazz music), and the Lincoln soundtrack as well (everything in that soundtrack is solid).
If you want something a bit different, try Syriana by Alexandra Desplat--its a got a nice Middle Eastern vibe to it. He also composed my personal favorite film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Finally, he also did Tree of Life which is a bit more bland, but there are a few good tracks (i.e. Circles).
As for Hans Zimmer, check out The Last Samurai, and especially A Hard Teacher and Idyll's End, both tracks that are very soothing with a Far Eastern touch. Hans's work on Interstellar is of course another great one, although some of the tracks are really loud/cause earache.
Finally, I highly highly recommend Philip Glass--he is to me the best for studying music, especially since he is a minimalist composer so he uses repetitive rhythms in his work so there is no random bang or other sounds in his work. Check out The Fog of War soundtrack, it is easily one of the best, and the documentary is also really interesting!
Hope that helps!
Thanks for the breakdown! I've been binge listening to the two 'The Last Samurai' tracks you mentioned lol
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The Ecstasy of Gold & other Morricone.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon has a pretty sweet soundtrack as well.Thanks for the breakdown! I've been binge listening to the two 'The Last Samurai' tracks you mentioned lol
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh and most of the works by Ennio Morricone if you're feeling like kicking some arse.
I really like the soundtrack for Hyper Light Drifter (video game) by Disasterpeace. I actually started listening to the music before ever actually playing it. It's kind of eerie but I find it incredibly satisfying. I've also recently been listening to a YouTube playlist called dozing off that's been really good!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Braid soundtrack is my go to for studying most of the time
I remembered another one: LA Noire soundtrack. It is a heavy jazz soundtrack, but it's great for studying IMO.
Sound track of The Revenant: Sound of Hugh Glass
group_theory
EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
"My Shot" from Hamilton, by Lin-Manuel Miranda
The first few lines describe most medical student - young, scrappy, hungry. Lots of knowledge but lacks polish
The first few lines describe most medical student - young, scrappy, hungry. Lots of knowledge but lacks polish
Anyone have any particular movie or show soundtracks they like to study to that are relaxing? I personally like Interstellars sountrack. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Funny- I saw the title and my first thought was to suggest the Interstellar soundtrack.
I like The Hobbit soundtracks (even if the movies themselves were kind of terrible). If it doesn't have to be a soundtrack, I really like Lindsey Stirling's music.
I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. The LOTR soundtrack is one of my personal favorites to study to. Also the assassin's creed 2 soundtrack is random but really good for study sessions.
this LOTR... it pumps you up... when all else fails... there is always hope... for Frodo... well in this case.. for... whatever you are studying heh
L
luckyely91
I don't mind soundtracks with songs with words on them while I'm studying, as long as the music isn't super loud. I love indie music, so I really like the Garden State and Love (show on Netflix) soundtracks.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay got a couple a new ones that are great from the recent film The Lost City of Z (great film by the way).
Christopher Spelman - "The Final Journey" and "Daphnée et Chloé - Suite n°2 : Lever du jour" -- both are wonderful atmospheric-like pieces.
Christopher Spelman - "The Final Journey" and "Daphnée et Chloé - Suite n°2 : Lever du jour" -- both are wonderful atmospheric-like pieces.
Just thought I would throw in what I like... I really enjoy listening to the Planet Earth soundtrack or anything nature related. Haha.