Moving beyond a 265

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardee17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yeah, I realize this thread is probably going to be a waste of time, but is there anyone out there who managed to make the leap from 265ish to 275ish? What did that entail? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So yeah, I realize this thread is probably going to be a waste of time, but is there anyone out there who managed to make the leap from 265ish to 275ish? What did that entail? Thanks.

No, a real waste of time would be trying to get a 275. If that's your main concern, go outside and enjoy your day.

I recall that there was one guy (I think his username was Pollux?) that scored in the 270 or 280s. You can try searching for him.

What's the point though?

If you're already in the 260s, you're more than fine for almost all programs. Once you reach that level, it won't be your Step 1 score that would be holding you back from matching at a certain program. Rather it will be the other parts of your app.

Dug this up from an earlier thread

"I have an insider PD at Hopkins who said they systematically reject 270+ scores because they are lacking sufficient social/personalization skills.

They do interview them, but from his experience, they are brain dead when it comes to interacting with other members of the team

the main thing they look for us how well you will fit in with the existing team. Team-dynamics is key, so if a person throws that off, it affects everyone"

Might wanna think about it. It's important to do well, but when you become too obsessed with scores, it might turn around to bite you.

I recall that there was one guy (I think his username was Pollux?) that scored in the 270 or 280s. You can try searching for him.

What's the point though?

If you're already in the 260s, you're more than fine for almost all programs. Once you reach that level, it won't be your Step 1 score that would be holding you back from matching at a certain program. Rather it will be the other parts of your app.

Thanks.

For everyone else asking why--not an AMG :(, plus who wouldn't want a buffer if something were to go less than great on exam day?

This sums up what's wrong with medical education today.

You could probably take 2 years off and prepare for the exam!

Btw, I know every IMG thinks - "I got a 275, now I will get a lot of looks from PDs!" compared to "Oh, I got a 265 (or even 250), I'm just another applicant." Guess what, if that's what is your differentiating factor to get interviews - you're probably not going to be successful anyway. There are literally dozens of ways people are successful in getting into whatever competitive field - and boosting a Step score from 265 (or even 250) to 275 is probably not only the most difficult but useless strategies of them all.

Last edited:

Although your posts are usually pretty enjoyable, I have yet to see you make a single post that is helpful or productive in any way haha.

Not that it really matters, just saying. I guess the humor you bring is certainly a nice change lol.

Yep, what Sanzy said. I feel like the key to getting a ridiculously high score like that is just to get super lucky on test day. Not too much else you can do once you're at that 265 range already IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although your posts are usually pretty enjoyable, I have yet to see you make a single post that is helpful or productive in any way haha.

Not that it really matters, just saying. I guess the humor you bring is certainly a nice change lol.

I don't know, if I was driving on a road that lead to a cliff and someone said, "Hey dummy, you're driving towards a cliff!" I think that would be helpful.:)

Btw, I know every IMG thinks - "I got a 275, now I will get a lot of looks from PDs!" compared to "Oh, I got a 265 (or even 250), I'm just another applicant." Guess what, if that's what is your differentiating factor to get interviews - you're probably not going to be successful anyway. There are literally dozens of ways people are successful in getting into whatever competitive field - and boosting a Step score from 265 (or even 250) to 275 is probably not only the most difficult but useless strategies of them all.

I've read a few of your posts now and you never seem to have anything nice to say or anything positive to contribute to the forum. Bitterness won't get you far, the dude is a superstar, let's encourage him to flourish instead of trying to piss on his flame.

I've read a few of your posts now and you never seem to have anything nice to say or anything positive to contribute to the forum. Bitterness won't get you far, the dude is a superstar, let's encourage him to flourish instead of trying to piss on his flame.

You're right dude! So sorry.

Keep pushing Hardee! The 99th percentile sucks! Let your insecurity drive you baby! You need to hit the top 99.99th percentile to be considered! Nutmeg livers aren't too far away!! Pay the cost to be the boss! #InPholstonWeTrust #FloydMayweatherIsCool

The amount of haters on SDN is suffocating.

The guy just wanted some advice, he obviously wasnt looking for your 180 DEGREE advice of "omg go out and breath some air nerd", if you guys didnt have anything to add to his original prompt why add anything at all?

Last edited:

The guy just wanted some advice, he obviously wasnt looking for your 180 advice of "omg go out and breath some air nerd", if you guys didnt have anything to add to his original prompt why add anything at all?

You added a lot to this discussion and have adequately answered the OP, unlike the people who may have just come to complain.

According to my school's admissions chief, people who score 270+ often do not even match because they are completely unable to socialize. They seem to have an autism-like disorder, but are great at taking exams. Ultra-high board scores are actually a red flag.

I don't even know how these people manage to get such scores, since some of the questions are downright flawed.

The guy just wanted some advice, he obviously wasnt looking for your 180 advice of "omg go out and breath some air nerd", if you guys didnt have anything to add to his original prompt why add anything at all?

Is the guy who doesn't know what positive and negative pressure is criticizing our "180" advice?

The questions on my exam that I knew would push people beyond the 260 range were for the most part random/rare pathology questions. If you have time on your hands and you're aiming for the 270+, perusing some of the pictures on big robbins would probably be beneficial.

edit: I scored in the upper 260s and I know for a fact that I missed a couple of nuanced pathology questions that would have pushed me into the 270 range.

Last edited:
According to my school's admissions chief, people who score 270+ often do not even match because they are completely unable to socialize. They seem to have an autism-like disorder, but are great at taking exams. Ultra-high board scores are actually a red flag.

I don't even know how these people manage to get such scores, since some of the questions are downright flawed.

Statistically speaking, people who score 270+ are almost guaranteed a match into any field of choice as long as they're not IMG. I don't buy the notion that an exceptionally high board score is a red flag at all.

Statistically speaking, people who score 270+ are almost guaranteed a match into any field of choice as long as they're not IMG. I don't buy the notion that an exceptionally high board score is a red flag at all.

I wouldn't say it's a red flag for AMGs, but I do bet you get more scrutiny from the "do I want to be cooped up for >24 continuous hours with Sheldon Cooper" standpoint. You will get your social IQ probed.

lol nonsense. Ultra high scores don't hurt at all. My buddy got in the high 270s and was interviewed at very competitive programs in a surgical subspecialty, while he attended a low ranked med school. It won't hurt you.

Coming on SDN and asking people how to get you from mid 260s to mid 270s is douchey though, because you are MORE than competitive for ANY field with that score. You outclass everyone in the mid 260s pretty much, and no one on earth will be able to increase your score with some special piece of advice.

"yea, go over pathoma brah" No, there's nothing left lol. You have mastered the material. I got 9 wrong on NBME7 and got a 264, I mean how the hell can anyone give advice on how not to get the other 9 wrong? There's no advice you just have to hope for a test where you don't make dumb mistakes and you don't get one of your small weaknesses dude.

I wouldn't say it's a red flag for AMGs, but I do bet you get more scrutiny from the "do I want to be cooped up for >24 continuous hours with Sheldon Cooper" standpoint. You will get your social IQ probed.

I think everyone will get social IQ probed... and if it's standardized to a score, It would probably apply to 260's as well. My buddy talked about football for most of his interview so maybe you're right

I think everyone will get social IQ probed... and if it's standardized to a score, It would probably apply to 260's as well. My buddy talked about football for most of his interview so maybe you're right

I agree. I just think the farther you head out on the tail of the normal distribution, the more you'll be assessed for being a weirdo. Everybody gets it more or less though. That's the whole point of the interview.

When 5 questions out of 322 determine 265 vs 275 you start relying on strong joojoo rolls. Not much you can do brah. Your mom will still love you if you only get a 265 tho.

When 5 questions out of 322 determine 265 vs 275 you start relying on strong joojoo rolls. Not much you can do brah. Your mom will still love you if you only get a 265 tho.

What a failure to only hit the 99th percentile.

Welcome to SDN.

lol nonsense. Ultra high scores don't hurt at all. My buddy got in the high 270s and was interviewed at very competitive programs in a surgical subspecialty, while he attended a low ranked med school. It won't hurt you.

Coming on SDN and asking people how to get you from mid 260s to mid 270s is douchey though, because you are MORE than competitive for ANY field with that score. You outclass everyone in the mid 260s pretty much, and no one on earth will be able to increase your score with some special piece of advice.

"yea, go over pathoma brah" No, there's nothing left lol. You have mastered the material. I got 9 wrong on NBME7 and got a 264, I mean how the hell can anyone give advice on how not to get the other 9 wrong? There's no advice you just have to hope for a test where you don't make dumb mistakes and you don't get one of your small weaknesses dude.

True story. If you're smart enough to be pushing 265, you're smart enough to figure out what you need to do to push yourself even further. A bunch of internet strangers with lowly practice scores in the 98th percentile and worse probably won't have a ton to offer. But in the interest of contributing something to the thread, congrats OP on all the hard work to make it this far, hopefully you can get the score you're aiming for. :luck:

You can't get blood out of stones.

You should ask in the 270s club, not many people here can help you.

I am going to go out on a precarious limb and postulate that if you want to go from 260s to 270s...you should study more.

I got a 269 back in 2011: Used Kaplan LN as prep (took it in year 5 of a 6 year program), after that used ONLY FA+q-banks.

I saw nothing on my test that wasn't in FA/q-banks or could not be solved by logical thinking.

It's entirely erroneous to think that you need to pull out Big Robbins etc to go from 240 to 270 or beyond; everything IS really in FA and q-banks. Studying random stuff in Robbins is only going to hurt your retention of all the basic stuff - and hence yielding a lower score.

Board prep is all about studying what is HY and doing Q's...

And what if you are an IMG ?

And what if you are an IMG ?

Well, obviously, it's harder to get residency in any specialty. That's the way it should be as it's easier for hospitals/your patients, if you are US trained. On the other hand, one should not forget that the US benefits HUGELY from virtually free foreign docs who contribute to patient care, research etc. America is great because of immigration, not despite it.

Back on track, being an IMG myself, I think everything is possible, but if you aim for stuff like derm/ortho/nsurg etc, you better get an excellent cv.

Get lucky?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NV6Rdv1a3I[/YOUTUBE]

One of my favorite quotes from the movie Match Point:

"Well, I don't believe in luck. I believe in hard work."

"Oh, hard work is mandatory, but I think everybody's afraid to admit what a big part luck plays."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

And the funny thing is, those types of people wouldn't know who Sheldon Cooper is.

re-schedule your test for the NEXT AVAILAIBLE DATE. get it over with, and enjoy whatever remaining vacation time you have. FFS WTF is wrong with people.