Moving OOS, how long to get situated into new place?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riversoul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are moving OOS for med school, how long are you giving yourself to get situated with your new living arrangements before orientation? For me, I'll be moving down to New Orleans. I'm debating on whether or not I should give myself 1 or 2 weeks to familiarize myself with the city, deal with car issues (registration, license, insurance, etc.), before starting school.

By the way, I already have an apt. reserved and I've seen the living arrangements before (during the interview trip).

If I go with 1 week, I'll have an extra week of summer vacation in my home state

2 weeks will give more time in New Orleans before school starts, but then I feel I would be sorta rushed with the process of moving out of my house.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing 2 weeks.

when i moved, i got there on a monday, orientation started on wednesday, and class started the next monday. i had plenty of time to get everything in order. at least with me, i wasn't moving to a place where i had friends, so it wasn't like i was facing the dilemma of going out or getting my place together. anymore than 1 week, and i think i would have been super bored.

Members don't see this ad :)
I moved 1 week before my orientation started, got all those parking and bike decals taken care of, compared all the grocery store prices, moved my furniture around a few times, checked out all the med school facilities, book store, student center, rec center, checked out the shopping mall, complained about and got fixed all the apartment's deficencies, and was totally bored for the last 2 days before the school year began. So I'd suggest that one week is more than sufficient.

It's going to take me 4-5 days of continuous driving to get to my school. If I do arrive when I think I will, I'll have about 6 days to get furniture and acclimate myself to the area.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I'm giving myself 1 week. Time to finalize my flights.

I say good choice. If you get there a week early, you still have orientation week to settle in as well.