Moving to another state in the middle of amcas application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liftingNsushi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

After graduating from a UC, I have been living by myself in California for 2 years, qualifying as California in-state. My family lives in Minnesota. I would like to move back with my family before med school starts (if I get in lol). Would this disqualified me from being a California in-state and potentially sabotage my amcas application?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you thinking of visiting for a couple of months after you are accepted, or moving back now until you start school? The first wouldn’t change your state of residence, but the second would (unless you kept your primary residence in CA by having a home address there, receiving your mail there, voting there, etc)

Schools and states have specific guidelines on what they count as an in-state resident. I would recommend calling an admissions office or the financial aid office to see if you'd need to keep your CA address etc to still be considered a resident.