Moving to New Jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zapages

Scientist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My future wife lives in Wisconsin and works for CVS. She is doing the ultimate sacrifice to move to New Jersey and leaving her family/friends. I really like her and want to make her transition easy as possible.

I was wondering on what we should do? She is currently licensed to work in Wisconsin and has done residency as a hospital pharmacist. That will be her dream job. We were kind of lost on what we need to do get license transferred to new jersey.

Is there any resouces or books that she should study from? If there are links then those will be greatly appreciated.

What will happen to her continued education credits?

Her license expires next year? What should she do?

Will she need to retake any exams like mpje?

Also will she need to retake her residency license exam?

There are opportunities close to where I live? Should she start applying now or should get licenses first and then apply?

Sorry for so many questions. But we are kind of lost here. Thank you for all the help in advance.

Ps: i can't believe I remembered by username and password after almost 15 years... I'm also not a pharmacist...

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh.

If she is a pharmacist and can't figure out that a different state has its own board and license requirements, then you're gonna really struggle.

Have her look at the license requirements which should be on the NJ BOP website, along with required paperwork. The NJ MPJE is what she will need to take.

CE is reported to the NABP, a national organization, so credit applies to multiple states.

Reactions: 1 users
SRSLY? She managed to somehow graduate and get licensed and she can't handle simple things like going on NJ BOP website to find answers to these questions for herself?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
she is working at CVS with residency? strange!!! she should definitely look for hospital jobs.

Are there any resouces or books that she should study from? If there are links then those will be greatly appreciated.
Have her read federal pharmacy law book and NJ MPJE book. There are separate threads on this forum with link just search for MPJE and you will get there.

What will happen to her continued education credits?
they get reciprocated with all the licenses with NABP account. She will have to do some state specific once at the end. and she will be good.

Her license expires next year? What should she do?
Do the CEs and renew it.
Apply for NJ license as well. NJ license will have separate expiration date. Incase you move back atleast her license won't be expired. Better to keep both licenses for 1-2 years.

Will she need to retake any exams like mpje? Yes.

Also will she need to retake her residency license exam? No

There are opportunities close to where I live? Should she start applying now or should get licenses first and then apply? She can apply. But IMO, I would wait until I get license. Usually they want you to start in a 2-3 weeks.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
the bigger question is why anyone earning 6 figures would wish to live in New Jersey.

New Jersey Is No. 1, Alas - Wall Street Journal
The average resident will pay $931,000 in taxes over a lifetime.

Life of Tax: What Americans Will Pay in Taxes Over a Lifetime

Key statistics​

• The average American will pay $525,037 in taxes throughout their lifetime
  • That’s an average of 34.3% of all lifetime earnings spent on taxes
  • Residents of New Jersey will pay the most in lifetime taxes ($931,000) and people in West Virginia will pay the least ($321,000)
Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 11.13.02 AM.png

Reactions: 2 users
New Jersey is gross. You should move to Wisconsin.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure, NJ is overtaxed and overpriced, but it is a pretty nice place to live once you mentally get over being had. I was there for three years and I enjoyed it.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure, NJ is overtaxed and overpriced, but it is a pretty nice place to live once you mentally get over being had. I was there for three years and I enjoyed it.

Anytime I drive through New Jersey, I end up paying like $30 in tolls wtf.

Anytime I drive through New Jersey, I end up paying like $30 in tolls wtf.
NJTurnpike tolls have increased a massive amount over the past decade but they still seem in line with or lower than all the other NorthEast corridor pain train of taxes and tolls. I think its *only* $13 to $16 (EZpass vs cash) for the entire NJTP length.

Going from Philly to Pittsburgh is like $40 to $70 on the PA turnpike (cash vs ezpass) and every NYC bridge is ~$16.

Good times.

NJTurnpike tolls have increased a massive amount over the past decade but they still seem in line with or lower than all the other NorthEast corridor pain train of taxes and tolls. I think its *only* $13 to $16 (EZpass vs cash) for the entire NJTP length.

Going from Philly to Pittsburgh is like $40 to $70 on the PA turnpike (cash vs ezpass) and every NYC bridge is ~$16.

Good times.

Did they get rid of tollbooths? Those lines were a nightmare back in the day, even with EZPass there would be bottlenecks every few miles.

Did they get rid of tollbooths? Those lines were a nightmare back in the day, even with EZPass there would be bottlenecks every few miles.
NJTP still has them at the exits and the GSP and AC Expressway have them on the highway itself (with EZpass express lanes)which sucks.

I think the PA turnpike has changed entirely to EZPass express and license plate cameras where they mail you the bill.

NJTP still has them at the exits and the GSP and AC Expressway have them on the highway itself (with EZpass express lanes)which sucks.

I think the PA turnpike has changed entirely to EZPass express and license plate cameras where they mail you the bill.

MA finally got rid of tollbooths a few years ago, thank God.

Good times.
the NYC bridge and tunnels are only tolled one way (entering NYC). So the GWB and holland tubes are an acceptable 8$ on average.