Moving to PEI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndigoHimmy

AVC c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I’ve posted a couple times and had great responses so I thought I’d try again.
I’m from Newfoundland, which is extremely competitive to get into vet school as there’s only 3 seats. I know Nova Scotia is also very competitive. I’m just wondering if anyone has had any luck moving to PEI or New Brunswick after being rejected from NL or NS. I’ve heard that this might increase chances as it’s a bit less competitive but I’d love to hear from anyone who’s done this or knows someone who has!

Thanks in advance!
Elizabeth

Members don't see this ad.

Your biggest issue would be that to establish residency in NB or PEI, you have to be there for a year while not a student. Neither place has a great economy, so finding work could be difficult. NL varies quite a bit year to year. They have few seats, but also not many applicants - I think when I was applying NL was usually between 2 and 8 applicants per year. So a few extra people dramatically changes your chances. Is there anyway that you can make your application more competitive for next year? I'd encourage you to email them for a post-mortem and see where your app was weak so you can improve it. You may not need to move.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As mentioned above, the economy in either province is not the best so finding employment might be tougher. I think NB might be a little easier in that aspect, however, I also know that NB has become quite competitive in recent years (as in, I know people with GPAs over 4.0 and amazing experience that didn't even get interviews this year).I would definitely contact AVC and see what your weak spots were on your application and try and improve those if possible before considering moving.

For what it’s worth, NL has three seats in every class, and they interview 6-8 people a year for those 3 seats. Maybe I misinterpreted what you were saying, but there are far more than 2-8 people applying from NL per year. If that were the case, everyone who applied would either be getting accepted or at least getting offered an interview, and that’s certainly not the case.

For what it’s worth, NL has three seats in every class, and they interview 6-8 people a year for those 3 seats. Maybe I misinterpreted what you were saying, but there are far more than 2-8 people applying from NL per year. If that were the case, everyone who applied would either be getting accepted or at least getting offered an interview, and that’s certainly not the case.
Coquette is also out of vet school (and I believe has been for a few years) so the number of applicants has probably changed since she was applying. Since it’s been over 4 years.

Coquette is also out of vet school (and I believe has been for a few years) so the number of applicants has probably changed since she was applying. Since it’s been over 4 years.
That^. There were a few years they only had 3 or 4 applicants, and yes, they have years where it's 7-8. It can vary substantially year to year.

Well I’m moving to Canada then
I mean... you can. As a heads up, the total population of NL is like half a million and the vast majority of it is an uninhabitable wasteland only accessible by air or dog sled. Plus they make you kiss fish.

plz don't hurt me I like NL I swear, my SO is a newf

I mean... you can. As a heads up, the total population of NL is like half a million and the vast majority of it is an uninhabitable wasteland only accessible by air or dog sled. Plus they make you kiss fish.

What if I have already kissed a fish (spoiler: it did not turn into a prince like a frog would)

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm currently working relief in Labrador, and I agree it is a pretty open, unpopulated place. Weird to be the only clinic in over 300 miles!

I'm currently working relief in Labrador, and I agree it is a pretty open, unpopulated place. Weird to be the only clinic in over 300 miles!
A vet school classmate was from Makkovik in Labrador. She rarely visited home because it's only accessible by plane. (I think she moved to Toronto after graduation.) SO mostly grew up in St John's but is originally from Centreville and he says there's small towns on the coasts but just miles and miles of nothing inland.

I appreciate the above comment was said in jest, and that there seems to be a dynamic to this board between long-time members and frequent posters that lends itself more to conversations between friends rather than discussions between strangers, but referring to someone else’s home as an “uninhabitable wasteland” can come across as a little brash and unnecessary. Even with the disclaimer.

a little brash and unnecessary
Ooh I should have that on my business cards! Dr Coquette: A Little Brash And Unnecessary.

And for the record, I am a damn proud Canadian and I regard a huge percentage of Canada's landmass to be an uninhabitable wasteland. There's a reason 90% of the population lives within 100 miles of the border.

Reactions: 1 users
lol I love the banter here!!! :laugh:

wrt everything said (which I appreciate greatly!!!), I am going to be speaking with Mr Macdougall later this week to see what I can do. I also am aware of the 12 month residency thing, so IF I move, I'd be going this summer/fall with the intent to apply as a PEI resident for the following cycle (and obviously applying this year as an NL resident again). I don't know if they would tell me whether moving would increase my chances or not but I'm going to ask his opinion as well. At this point, I don't have a lot of wiggle room with my grades; not being able to repeat them is keeping me stuck with a couple C's from my "younger" days - first/second year undergrad - that I don't know how to get around without waiting the 6 year period which I obviously don't want to do.

And for the record, for as much "uninhabitable wasteland" there might be in certain parts of Newfoundland & Labrador (and there certainly are quite large spans of it), there's at least equal amounts of beauty that make up for it elsewhere ;)
I don't think we'd be able to stand the amount of snow if it wasn't pretty :rofl:(I'm a west coaster... we get loooooooooaaaads of snow)

lol I love the banter here!!! :laugh:

wrt everything said (which I appreciate greatly!!!) there's at least equal amounts of beauty that make up for it elsewhere ;)
No argument here! For all my teasing, Gros Morne is literally the most beautiful place I've ever been and Newfs are by far the nicest people I've ever met. :)