Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Moving

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by Marine1, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Marine1

Marine1 Hoorah

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    With two acceptances and two more interviews I need to hear about school life and the areas that are associated with the schools. My two acceptances are Barry and Ohio. I am married and my wife is a lawyer looking to go into photography. We have two dogs that must come with us. Any info about cost of living in these two areas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OSUDDS

OSUDDS Senior Member

Podiatry Student
    cost of living in miami=expensive
    cost of living in cleveland=relatively cheap

i dont know about barry, but ocpm has deals with some nice apartment complexes in parma, etc where pod students get decent discounts

4. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member

Attending Physician
    I'd say average apartments here in Miami are anywhere from $700-1500. They're obviously more expensive as you shift to nicer parts of town and/or closer to the ocean.

1 bedroom apartments very close to Barry are roughly $700-1000, typically depending on the what utilities are covered, building age, amenities, etc. Here's Barry's off-campus housing database from the department I work for:
    http://doitapps.barry.edu/offcampushousing/default.asp
    ^The university obviously can't regulate/guarantee these or check them all out for you, but they list them as a courtesy to commuter students, and you will typically find a fair number of Barry and other local college students at most of these places.

Many students here have a roommate or two so that they can get a 2 or 3 bedroom condo or house in a nicer location that they wouldn't be able to afford or want to pay for on their own.

Yes, Maimi costs a lot, esp near the ocean or South Beach, but for some people, it might be worth an extra $100 or $200 or even $500 per month in order to photograph the ocean and palm trees instead of cloudy skies and snow ;)

5. OSUDDS

OSUDDS Senior Member

Podiatry Student
    dr. feelgood, if youre out there, i would like to hear your opinion about the situation

6. NYBriGuy

Pre-Podiatry
    does anyone happen to know the situation with dorms/apartments if one were to attend NYCPM? i was trying to find information on their website, but it's extremely limited... thanks in advance!

7. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member

Attending Physician
    Cmon now, the OP said Barry or Ohio...

Feelgood will just tell us how he rents out the attic of a cow barn from a local Iowa farmer for $50 per week (including free 6am rooster alarm clock and "fresh" eggs and milk on school days) :D

8. OSUDDS

OSUDDS Senior Member

Podiatry Student
    haha... cmon now..

i want to hear a neutral students opinion. Of course youre bias to barry and i am to ocpm..

rent will obviously be cheaper in cleveland

but, anyone elses opinion on the overall situation?

9. cool_vkb

cool_vkb Member

Podiatry Student
    Iam an immigrant who has seen nothing but Chicagoland area. So iam just asking this out of curosity.

I heard Miami is kind of dangerous city with gangs,violence,drugs and all crap. Where as Cleveland is a cozy typical American city.

Is this true? or is it just because i watched too many movies or series like Miami blues and Miami Vice. he he he he!

10. iwilldlvr

iwilldlvr not listening

Pre-Podiatry
    Miami beach is nice but expensive. Miami shores, on the other hand, is not so great. It's okay to visit and be in awe of "little cuba" and all the other "little xxx"s in the area, but it's not a place you would really feel safe hanging out around after dark. Plus, you have way more traffic in Miami than Cleveland (or soon to be Independence).

The downside to both is the weather. In Miami- hurricanes and heat with horrible humidity (something I'm happy to leave behind in TX). Cleveland has a ton of snow. Basically, you're looking at both extremes. It all depends on what you prefer for living conditions.

11. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest

Podiatry Student
    I'd reapply and go to DMU. :D

I was trying to stay out of it, but if you want my opinion. Go to OCPM.

12. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]

As of this moment students live in Draper Hall on 98th and 1st ave in Manhattan. It is dorm style with communal kitchen and communal bathroom, single rooms only.

There is also Parkchester in the Bronx where all new students will move to if they chose "student" housing. These are apartments from studios to 3 bedrooms. I do not know the price.

You also can rent an apartment in the city or Jersey or where ever and commute.

13. OSUDDS

OSUDDS Senior Member

Podiatry Student
    I'd definitely stay away from Clevelands east side. Its not so cozy. Theres a reason why Cleveland was 7th on the list of most dangerous cities in the US.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15475741/

14. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member

Attending Physician
    Any decent-sized US city is going to have good parts and bad parts (and virtually any city big enough to have a med school is "decent sized"). It can change fast... sometimes if you move even half a mile in a given direction, you will go from $250k houses with green lawns with yorkshire terriers to $200/mo crackhouses with bars on the windows.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4762095#post4762095

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2684643#post2684643

You just have to scope out an area carefully. Some drug addicts or people living in poverty have nothing to lose and might hurt or even kill you for your watch or the $20 in your pocket... sad but true.

15. Imgtnold

Podiatry Student
    I have lived West of Cleveland for almost 20 years and it's not bad...there are alot of inexpensive places relatively close to the new campus that are very safe...but like Feli said, the snow SUCKS!!!! :(

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest

Podiatry Student
    I've lived in FL and loved the weather. I also disliked the people which helped convince me the FL was not for me.

More important issues to me when looking at the schools. What are the board pass rates; especially first time pass rate b/c many schools like to report class pass rates (Barry claims a 100% pass rate but I know that that is not true for the first sitting, they fall below the national average; OCPM does not even mention boards on their website)? What is the schools vision and do they have good leadership? How is their residency placement? What is the cost of living and therfore, the amount of student loans you will graduate with? What is the cirriculum like?

These are much more important factors. Weighing these things, I still say OCPM over Barry, but it is very close.

18. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest

Podiatry Student
    I may change my mind. With the information on cheating at OCPM, I may say Barry.

19. iwilldlvr

iwilldlvr not listening

Pre-Podiatry