Moving states for podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys so after exploring podiatry for the last several months I'm pretty decided on my choice to go with this career. I've grown up in Florida and family and everything is here, but I don't want to be close-minded to only looking at Barry. My first issue with Barry is that I only have 1 science LOR and that will not be changing as I graduate this semester.

I'm looking at DMU and AZPOD and will probably only apply to those two this coming August. Any recommendations as to how difficult it is to move states or any feedback on the schools from anyone going there who moved from another state?

Some things that are important to me:
-High quality academics
-Serving the homeless and other volunteering organizations
-Being involved in research

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys so after exploring podiatry for the last several months I'm pretty decided on my choice to go with this career. I've grown up in Florida and family and everything is here, but I don't want to be close-minded to only looking at Barry. My first issue with Barry is that I only have 1 science LOR and that will not be changing as I graduate this semester.

I'm looking at DMU and AZPOD and will probably only apply to those two this coming August. Any recommendations as to how difficult it is to move states or any feedback on the schools from anyone going there who moved from another state?

Some things that are important to me:
-High quality academics
-Serving the homeless and other volunteering organizations
-Being involved in research

Thanks!

All the schools will provide you with high quality academics. DMU and AZPOD specifically take the same courses as their MD/DO counterparts. Western also does this. Not sure what you are trying to measure "high quality academics" by. A lot of it is dependent on the student.

Once you get in, current students from the school will be a huge help in finding a place to live. Moving logistics are up to you and any other tips you find on this site.

See this thread re: 'best' school for factors x y z:
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...low-dropout-rate-and-good-professors.1242445/

The long story short: There is no one best or worst Pod school. All are on the same plane, with some doing better at one thing than others but to separate or rank them would be splitting hairs.

Re: 'High quality academics'- anywhere you go, you basically end up teaching yourself. Professors move through so much material so fast that while they are a resource, at the end of the day it is your responsibility to learn the material- not theirs. You could have the best professor in the world but if you don't take the time to study it won't matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those are also my top 2 schools for the upcoming cycle and I will be moving to attend as well. I moved for undergrad and the process really is not bad as long as you have people willing to help and ways to transport your things. The biggest challenges I found after moving was learning the area and roads the first few weeks and weather differences, but those are minor and you will adapt very quickly. Good luck, maybe we will end up classmates!

I moved to Iowa for DMU and there's so much housing right around the school. That definitely made my life easier, knowing that certain apartment complexes were basically all students. Also, amazon will be your best friend. It's super doable though.

Reactions: 1 user
I got on campus housing this coming year for AZpod. I'm renting a penske truck and my buddy and I are road tripping it from Wisconsin. Making it a sight seeing trip along the way. I interviewed at AZpod and DMU and got into both and chose AZpod due to a little better feel during my interview. I also wanted to have a scene change. If your choice is between the two top schools, in my opinion based on stats, then it is going to come down to where you want to love for 4 years. I went through the same thing and I realized it pretty much comes down to that simple fact.

Reactions: 1 user