Moving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fenrezz

AT Stills Worst Nightmare
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nothing like a good move to let you know how much useless crap you've accumulated over a small amount of time. One thing is for sure. For a guy who ranks moving just below getting a root canal without novocain, I sure do it a lot. This is my third move in less than 2 years (not including helping my brother and then later on a friend move..twice). If you haven't guessed, I'm taking a break from packing and using this forum to vent.

Actually, the real purpose of this thread is to find out how people plan on moving to their respective schools. I'm gonna use my lemon to tow a small U-Haul trailer. Anything I can't fit stays here. A friend of mine, a perennial packrat, is salivating at the thought of inheriting all the crap I'm leaving behind.

Rates for an actual U-Haul truck were a but pricey (and the thought of 24 hours straight in one of those ranks just above moving), and a moving company was out of the question (too expensive).

For those who are moving soon, how do you plan on doing it? Moving company? U-Haul? Pack your car to the brim? Burn all your possessions and get a furnished apartment?

Discuss!

Members don't see this ad.

I left everything I couldn't fit in my car (including a pet tarantula) for the new renters of my old place. I hope they enjoy my crap.

i've got a tricky move planned...

I'm probably doing two trips this next weekend using the jayveemobile to move over my essentials pre-orientation. Then I'll probably get a 10 ft u-haul or one of those big cargo vans to go back and get all my things over labor day weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fenrezz,

I'll tell you how the people in the Okie panhandle do it. (Don't worry--not all of Oklahoma will be quite as rural and backwards as where I'm from.)

Here's my plan for moving.

Go to mom and dad's house. Get dad's cattle trailer.

Spend more time cleaning cattle **** out of the trailer than it will take me to move. Put down LOTS of old sheets that will never be used again. Put my stuff in.

My hubby will then get his "pit truck"--the truck he uses to pull his dirt track race car (how redneck IS this???)--and connect it to the trailer. We will leave about 10:00 at night when it cools down and drive all nigh--> no air conditioning!

That's my plan!

UnderGrad...it's people like you that make me glad I'm living in a big city! :) (just kidding, the cow flop deal sounds like fun)

I'm lucky...I'm going to med school in the same city I did my undergrad. Although it's away from "home", I have all my stuff already down there in my apartment waiting for me.

Hee Hee, JP! Well, it's the only life I've known. It will be a major adjustment for me to move to a more metropolitan area for sure.

For me, moving was pretty easy. I loaded up all my junk into my car and the van I borrowed from my parents, then I got my two little brothers, who are old enough to drive but not old enough to be busy, and made them follow me to the new apartment and unload all my stuff.

If there is interest, I would be willing to rent my two brothers out to any of you.

Originally posted by Fenrezz
Nothing like a good move to let you know how much useless crap you've accumulated over a small amount of time. One thing is for sure. For a guy who ranks moving just below getting a root canal without novocain, I sure do it a lot. This is my third move in less than 2 years (not including helping my brother and then later on a friend move..twice).

Same here. Within a year, I have moved 3 times excluding helping my buddy move. First I had to move from Weatherford, OK to North Houston, then moved from Northwest Houston to Southwest Houston. Then this weekend, I just moved from Southwest Houston to Tulsa, OK. I'm tired as hell. I can't feel my a$$ from driving that damn yellow truck.