MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The SM 80 is going to be far more research focused while the MPH will be more broad.
Also when did you hear back!? I’m anxiously waitin :(

Thank you! That's nice to know!
I heard back Feb 21!! Apparently, they are sending out decisions in rounds so I'm sure you'll hear back soon. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, firstly, CONGRATS on Harvard!!! When did you hear back from Harvard? Hopefully you hear back from Brown soon! Would you maybe want to dm to talk more about the MS programs? I'd love to hear your thoughts on Brown, because it's definitely becoming more and more attractive to me, given its generosity in funds, super small size, and huge emphasis on research.

I received the decision from Harvard on Thursday like most others on this forum. Harvard sure is the best school for public Health, but I am worried if I could get enough opportunities and attention there. As an international student, I sometimes feel that being vocal and standing out is difficult. I really like the super small size of Brown.

I tried to start a conversation with you, but It seems your need to change the setting to allow someone to contact you. You can also DM me from your side.

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone has any insight into the MPH at Columbia vs. SM-80 at Harvard, specifically for Infectious Disease Epi (even more specifically in emerging and resistant infections), please message me! Still waiting to hear back from Yale and Hopkins, but I'm already stressed about making a decision..
same!!! i’m in the same position and am also waiting on Yale & Hopkins. would love insight on MPH for Columbia & MS-80 at Harvard

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be going! Will you be there?

I'm most likely going to create a document of all the things I learn there and I wouldn't mind sending it over to you. I understand that not everyone is lucky enough to be going. I'm fortunately only a short drive away, so it's not a big deal for me. I'll update you as much as I can.
Yes! super excited, see ya there!

I just got into Berkeley Epi/Biostats! They emailed me today (Saturday, what?!) at 11:00am PST! On cloud 9 right now!

Reactions: 14 users
same!!! i’m in the same position and am also waiting on Yale & Hopkins. would love insight on MPH for Columbia & MS-80 at Harvard

Also in the same position! (Minus Harvard....didnt make the deadline lol). Want some thoughts on Columbia MPH and still waiting on Yale and Hopkins!

I just got into Berkeley Epi/Biostats! They emailed me today (Saturday, what?!) at 11:00am PST! On cloud 9 right now!
Lol they working their staff overtime. Any idea when we will hear back from fin aid?

This has been an eventful week. Congrats to everyone who got good news, and to those people feeling nervous or disappointed just know that I am rooting for you and fully believe everything will work out for the best!

Since it’s the weekend and we’re not likely to get any school updates, I’m wondering if anyone would like to share the work they’re doing in public health now? Whether it’s a job, research position, internship, volunteering, or something else I always find it so interesting to hear what’s going on in the PH world! And it may be a nice break from stressing about deadlines :)
Great question! For the past few months, I was working as a research assistant intern for a local non-partisan healthcare consulting firm that dealt with chronic disease policy issues and formed alliances with other statewide health organizations. I didn't work on specific projects or anything but I attended meetings, networked with work professionals and helped research grant applications for funding. It recently ended but I had an interview with a health clinic the other day for a health educator position, so hopefully I receive good news soon! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
So I'm definitely going to be calling the finaid office but has anyone here had a similar issue to the one described below?

I received a finaid package from Columbia which gave me need based aid, a scholarship, and a loan. A few hours later after speaking to a finaid officer I got another email but the need based financial aid was gone with the scholarship and loans still there.

Great question! For the past few months, I was working as a research assistant intern for a local non-partisan healthcare consulting firm that dealt with chronic disease policy issues and formed alliances with other statewide health organizations. I didn't work on specific projects or anything but I attended meetings, networked with work professionals and helped research grant applications for funding. It recently ended but I had an interview with a health clinic the other day for a health educator position, so hopefully I receive good news soon! :D
I’m glad that people want/are willing to share!

That’s really complex/interesting work (I won’t ask for specifics on the chronic disease to risk identifying you). It took me a couple of years working in the field to figure out just how important networking/familiarity with other organizations can be. You mentioned that you deferred Emory for a year to get work experience. Did this position give you any clarity on what it is you want to study?

ETA best of luck with the educator job!

I have been following this thread since August so now I feel as if I should let you all know what I am up too...

Undergrad School
: Small (highly ranked) liberal arts college in Michigan
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: Biology/ Community and Global Health
GRE: V: 150 (47%), Q: 145 (20%), W: 4.0 (YIKES)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

- Study abroad program focusing on Latin American Healthcare, Spanish, and Infectious Disease.
- 1-year internship under an infection preventionist at a large multi-specialty care facility
- Teaching Assistant for the biology department.
- Research Assistant for a Detroit Based Epidemiologist
- Senior Thesis in Substance Use Disorder Epidemiology
- Collegiate Athlete

LOR: Director at my internship, my thesis advisor/ CGHL professor, and PI/Epidemiologist

Interests: MSPH/MPH/MS Infectious Disease Epi

Applying:
The University of Alabama at Birmingham (MSPH- Applied Epi) (Verified: 10/30)
Tulane (MSPH - TM) (Verified 11/26),
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (MS-Epi) (Verified 11/7),
The University of Illinois at Chicago (MS- Epi), (Verified 11/8)
University of South Florida (Global Comm. disease) (Verified 11/7)

shoot my shot with:
University of Michigan School of Public Health (MPH- Global Epi) (Verified 11/13)

and

Yale (MPH- Microbial) (Verified 12/10)

Accepted: UAB (11/16), UT (11/8), Tulane (12/13)

Rejected: USF (12/12)

Waiting: Illinois, Yale, UM

If anyone has experience with UAB or Tulane I would love to talk to you!

I feel like I should give an update as it is now almost MARCH and I have pretty much made up my mind.

I visited NOLA last week and I LOVED IT. I am basically sent on going, but I am still waiting for UM and Yale, the likelihood I get in is about zero, but I have to hear all my options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m glad that people want/are willing to share!

That’s really complex/interesting work (I won’t ask for specifics on the chronic disease to risk identifying you). It took me a couple of years working in the field to figure out just how important networking/familiarity with other organizations can be. You mentioned that you deferred Emory for a year to get work experience. Did this position give you any clarity on what it is you want to study?

ETA best of luck with the educator job!
I actually meant to say chronic care and the main focus was consumers' health and their ability to access the medications they need through their health plans.

Actually yes! My program is in health policy & management and I was initially drawn to the policy track, but after working there I feel like I'm better suited for the management track. The organization dealt more with policy than I'm used to, but it was an excellent learning experience which pointed me to a direction that I want to explore further and hope to pursue in grad school. I don't have much healthcare management experience but I'm definitely going to network as much as I can as well as gain valuable and relevant experience during the duration of my program. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! Is anyone considering/committed to Columbia? If so, where are y'all looking for housing? I know it's NYC so I'm prepared about the rent costs but also trying to save where I can. Any affordable yet safe options that you guys know of?

Hi everyone! Is anyone considering/committed to Columbia? If so, where are y'all looking for housing? I know it's NYC so I'm prepared about the rent costs but also trying to save where I can. Any affordable yet safe options that you guys know of?
I haven't 100% decided on Columbia yet (still waiting on a few more schools) but I lived in New York for several years and know the city well.

A few thoughts:
  • The neighborhood directly around Columbia (Washington Heights) is actually fairly affordable for Manhattan. I don't know current rent costs off the top of my head, but with roommates I would estimate that you could probably find something for <$1,500 a month, possibly significantly less.
  • If you're willing to go a little further away, Harlem is also a good option (anywhere along the ACE subway). In my experience, West Harlem generally feels a bit safer but the whole area is quickly getting gentrified. Also, safety is, of course, relative so, if you can, I would encourage you to visit the areas you're considering living in to get a feel for whether you feel comfortable there.
  • Outer boroughs like the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens will be even less expensive rent-wise, but will be a much longer commute to campus. From Brooklyn or Queens, it would be 45 mins to 1 hr at least.
ETA: If you have any specific questions or want more information about specific neighborhoods, feel free to PM me!

Congrats on those who heard back from Berkeley today!! I kind of regret looking at the forum today, because I was assuming there wouldn't be any news until Monday. Now that I know Epi/Biostats results are going out, I'm going to be refreshing my email all day tomorrow... >.<

ETA: Anyone still waiting for Epi/Biostats? Can't help but feel a bit nervous now...

I actually meant to say chronic care and the main focus was consumers' health and their ability to access the medications they need through their health plans.

Actually yes! My program is in health policy & management and I was initially drawn to the policy track, but after working there I feel like I'm better suited for the management track. The organization dealt more with policy than I'm used to, but it was an excellent learning experience which pointed me to a direction that I want to explore further and hope to pursue in grad school. I don't have much healthcare management experience but I'm definitely going to network as much as I can as well as gain valuable and relevant experience during the duration of my program. :)
Excellent! Maybe we policy/management folks will be running across each other in our professional networks sometime soon :)

I haven't 100% decided on Columbia yet (still waiting on a few more schools) but I lived in New York for several years and know the city well.

A few thoughts:
  • The neighborhood directly around Columbia (Washington Heights) is actually fairly affordable for Manhattan. I don't know current rent costs off the top of my head, but with roommates I would estimate that you could probably find something for <$1,500 a month, possibly significantly less.
  • If you're willing to go a little further away, Harlem is also a good option (anywhere along the ACE subway). In my experience, West Harlem generally feels a bit safer but the whole area is quickly getting gentrified. Also, safety is, of course, relative so, if you can, I would encourage you to visit the areas you're considering living in to get a feel for whether you feel comfortable there.
  • Outer boroughs like the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens will be even less expensive rent-wise, but will be a much longer commute to campus. From Brooklyn or Queens, it would be 45 mins to 1 hr at least.
ETA: If you have any specific questions or want more information about specific neighborhoods, feel free to PM me!
NYC resident and totally agree with everything here. The one thing I would say is that when looking for housing in Brooklyn, if and where possible, try and focus on neighborhoods where you could catch the A train direct to school. Dealing with a ton of transfers potentially v early in the morning is, at least for me, an incredibly draining way to start the day and it’s a long ride from Brooklyn.

Hey! If I hear back negatively from Harvard then I am probably going to go to Columbia too! I would love to get in touch!

I
Hey! If I hear back negatively from Harvard then I am probably going to go to Columbia too! I would love to get in touch!
I am most likely going to go for Columbia too. However I am an 18hr flight away soooo anyone going for the visits pls do also post one for Columbia as it'd be superrr useful :) thanks!!

Reactions: 4 users
I have been accepted to Johns Hopkins MPH and waitlisted for Harvard MPH 45- Health management. Should I wait for Harvard or go with Hopkins? I plan to concentrate in Health management or policy in my MPH. Any suggestions please ..

I have been accepted to Johns Hopkins MPH and waitlisted for Harvard MPH 45- Health management. Should I wait for Harvard or go with Hopkins? I plan to concentrate in Health management or policy in my MPH. Any suggestions please ..

I think you should really wait before committing to either one. People get financial packages and offers up until April as I observed from last year's thread. You could ask for deadline extension if Harvard was your dream school. The worst case scenario is not being offered an extension but at least you asked?

I think you should really wait before committing to either one. People get financial packages and offers up until April as I observed from last year's thread. You could ask for deadline extension if Harvard was your dream school. The worst case scenario is not being offered an extension but at least you asked?

The thing is Harvard said that they will release decisions for waitlisted candidates in around late May and Hopkins has their session started in late June. Also being an international student sufficient amount of time is needed for visa and i20.

The thing is Harvard said that they will release decisions for waitlisted candidates in around late May and Hopkins has their session started in late June. Also being an international student sufficient amount of time is needed for visa and i20.
Oh. Well that's a bummer. I am sorry. I still think you should hear some more opinions on this.

I feel super fortunate to be accepted to Harvard (health and social behavior-65), but am really wondering how much Harvard may be worth. I'm lucky that Emory, GW, and even Columbia have provided merit aid to me. Is the Harvard name and big-name resources worth the hefty price tag compared to these other MPH programs?

Reactions: 5 users
I feel super fortunate to be accepted to Harvard (health and social behavior-65), but am really wondering how much Harvard may be worth. I'm lucky that Emory, GW, and even Columbia have provided merit aid to me. Is the Harvard name and big-name resources worth the hefty price tag compared to these other MPH programs?

This is the program that I applied for! When did you hear back from them?

I received the decision from Harvard on Thursday like most others on this forum. Harvard sure is the best school for public Health, but I am worried if I could get enough opportunities and attention there. As an international student, I sometimes feel that being vocal and standing out is difficult. I really like the super small size of Brown.

I tried to start a conversation with you, but It seems your need to change the setting to allow someone to contact you. You can also DM me from your side.
Harvard's name and reputation precede it. I think there are quite a few programs out there that provide the same if not a higher quality learning environment in public health, but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: 3 users

A few thoughts:
I think we should stay away from the notions that 1, gentrification is a positive thing in general and 2, that communities need to be gentrified to become safe.

"West Harlem generally feels a bit safer but the whole area is quickly getting gentrified"

Reactions: 13 users
Congrats to those hearing back from Harvard. I'm a current first year in the MPH65 Global Health program. Feel free to DM me with any questions.

Bumping this offer again as I see more people keep hearing back. I know this is a hard decision to make, so if you have any questions feel free to message me.

Harvard's name and reputation precede it. I think there are quite a few programs out there that provide the same if not a higher quality learning environment in public health, but that's just my opinion.

I just want to echo this sentiment as well. I am biased as I am a current Harvard MPH65er in Global Health, but grad school will ultimately be what you make of it. Every school has opportunities to get involved in research or other cool projects. If you go into school knowing what you are looking to get out of it( eg.-develop quant skills, get involved in a research project/work with a professor in a certain domain), you will succeed no matter where you end up. At the end of the day, the name of the school will only take you so far, it is the work/research experience that will really matter when looking for a job.

Reactions: 10 users
Anyone have advice on reaching out to professors about potential TA or RA positions?

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have advice on reaching out to professors about potential TA or RA positions?

I reached out to a professor at JHU and we are meeting on admitted students day! I’m not sure I will get an RAship with her, but I think she will consider me if they have an opening in the Fall.

I followed the advice they give people looking for a PhD advisor: read about a ton of professors and find one whose research is really actually interesting to you. Read some of their papers. Try to find a project that is ongoing. I emailed a professor and mentioned her current research that I found interesting (that would be continuing next year), explained how my background would be useful for that research, and asked if she would be taking on more research assistants.

Reactions: 8 users
Some big decisions happening on here this week! I thought I’d add my 2 cents on the prestige vs. affordability turmoil a lot of us seem to be in.

I was really excited to get into my “reach” schools in the exact cities I’d like to work after graduating, but crushed to be offered far less scholarship/aid than my other acceptances. Part of me hates to turn down these dream schools and the advantages they offer. However, I realized something equally important for me to consider are all the ~disadvantages~ I would face if I went to a school I couldn’t afford.

It would be nice to build my academic network in the same city where I’d like to settle down after graduating, but is it really worth going into massive debt for? An Ivy League name might give my resume a bit of an extra edge, but is that name drop worth taking out 100k+ in loans if that can be avoided otherwise? Columbia/Harvard definitely have their perks. But I can’t help thinking that an even bigger perk (for anyone fortunate enough to have the option) is to graduate with little to no debt. Having minimal loans comes with its own set of opportunities. Without looming financial stress, we can do things like take a break to volunteer/travel after graduating, or apply for jobs based on passion rather than just salary. Plus don’t forget—there’s always the opportunity to go that expensive dream school later down the road for a PhD, which are often fully funded.

I’m sure there are plenty of reasons to opt for prestige that I’m overlooking, but prioritizing finances seems to make a lot more sense for my own path. Sending love and support to each one of you brilliant humans while you navigate some hard choices!

Reactions: 15 users
I feel like I should give an update as it is now almost MARCH and I have pretty much made up my mind.

I visited NOLA last week and I LOVED IT. I am basically sent on going, but I am still waiting for UM and Yale, the likelihood I get in is about zero, but I have to hear all my options.
i would LOVE to hear about your thoughts on Tulane (and epi if that's your department) from your visit and what helped you make your decision!!!

Last edited:
I was recently accepted to UNC’s MPH- Health Policy. After a lot of thought, I think the MPH- Public Health Leadership Program would be a better fit for my future goals. I emailed the program coordinator for the program I’m interested in switching to.

Does anyone have any advice with this process? I haven’t committed to a school yet but would love to go to UNC.

I just want to echo this sentiment as well. I am biased as I am a current Harvard MPH65er in Global Health, but grad school will ultimately be what you make of it. Every school has opportunities to get involved in research or other cool projects. If you go into school knowing what you are looking to get out of it( eg.-develop quant skills, get involved in a research project/work with a professor in a certain domain), you will succeed no matter where you end up. At the end of the day, the name of the school will only take you so far, it is the work/research experience that will really matter when looking for a job.
I think you left your towel at my house

Any international students wondering the merits of choosing a STEM MPH program vs a non-STEM program. I would like to have a discussion about the universities that provide MPH as a STEM degree and if this is something that one prioritises while choosing a school.

Did anyone else receive their financial aid package from Columbia last Friday? Mine was a bit disappointing. Not that I'm ungrateful, but was hoping for anything more than the 8k off tuition they offered. Fellow international students, how are you affording these expensive schools like Columbia et al? I'm not ready to rob a bank yet.
Same issue here - well you got more than me haha. I dont even know how to ask them - there are essentially no scholarships for internationals. I also am blank w ideas. Literally thinking to just shoot an email asking to give me more $$$ lol. Not even sure what 'fund' they are giving this to us out of?!

I submitted my application in mid December, 2018 but still have not hear back anything from them.
Which programme? Is it a joint one w LSE? Apparently it takes a few weeks to 'process' but by now you shouldve def heard back. I'd get in touch w them.

Which programme? Is it a joint one w LSE? Apparently it takes a few weeks to 'process' but by now you shouldve def heard back. I'd get in touch w them.

Yea the one with LSE.. MSc. Health Policy Planning and financing. I have sent them an email regarding status on my application but haven't heard back from them yet.

Yea the one with LSE.. MSc. Health Policy Planning and financing. I have sent them an email regarding status on my application but haven't heard back from them yet.
Oh thats the one ill be applying for! Call them? And goodluck!!