MPH MPH academic merit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c****seirmodel

Reaction score
First post on here! A quick question for all of you experts: anyone know how decisions are made re: Columbia MPH merit scholarships?

I have a 3.9 from an ivy with biotech work experience. Took the GRE yesterday and received a 170V and 164Q. I know these are decent scores for admission but wasn’t sure whether the Q score in particular would make me less competitive for merit scholarships. I work in nonprofit now and will need all the aid I can get, so if I need to retake the GRE simply for a higher quant score, I’d be willing to do so.

Columbia’s site claims that applicants competitive for merit awards typically have 3.65+ GPA and 80th%+ on all sections of submitted standardized exams. Though I surpassed these thresholds, I wasn’t sure if I’d then be stack ranked by GRE Q or something and therefore below everyone else who also surpassed those lower bounds (if they are indeed lower bounds).

Members don't see this ad.

Probably every school has different mechanisms for determining a merit scholarship, and even that might change every year depending on applicants and other factors, and you can try to negotiate a better deal. You could contact Columbia directly, I didn't know that they we're known for merit awards, but I don't have any firsthand experience, and of course everything is affected by COVID. If "typically" means a good number, like 80%, that is possible as well, if Quant 164 is 84 percentile that I would think you'd be fine in terms of GRE. The only way to find out definitively would be to apply and see what they say.