MPH after PHD in biomedical sciences? Need advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kikihyena

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduate with a PHD in biomedical sciences. After years of bench work, I am tired of basic research and want to leave academia. I am interested in public health, but my previous research experience has little to do with it. So I am wondering whether it is worth to obtain a MPH to enter this field? What kind of job can I get with PHD/MPH?

I currently live in NY, so columbia university SPH is my top choice. I notice that they will start a one-year accelerated MPH program in Fall 2012, which is targeted to people with doctoral degree. The curriculum is similar to the 2-year program, but finish in a faster pace.

Is there anyone know any more info about this program? Among the five concentrations (biostatistics, environmental health, epidemiology, HPM, population and family health and sociomedical sciences) which one is the best in terms of job opportunities after graduation?

All help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You are definitely not alone in how you feel. :) I am considering the MPH degree as well and so is another friend of mine who has earned a PhD. I've been in basic research for a number of years and so has she, and we've found our interests growing beyond the bench, yet still we have the desire to remain close to science.

I'm targeting a different program but it's my understanding the environmental/occupational health, biostats, and epidemiology fields in particular are growing (according to my current postdoc institution). I'm fortunate in that my academic background is a fit for EH/OH so I'm exploring that, so my plan is to reinvest in what I learned and researched during my PhD and postdoc years in a more community-based and risk/remediation context. You may want to consider what you garnered during your PhD as well and seek to apply that if you can in any way possible--I would think it would make this transition easier, especially in an accelerated program. Also think carefully about what you want to get out of going for the degree, and if you will have a good shot at your target area of employment on the other side (after graduation).

I'm personally targeting environnmental consulting and or environmental policy pertaining to human health risk with the government; I've known of others who have gone on to be staff epidemiologists for municipal, state, or federal governments, program leaders in research institutions for various health studies, health science/policy consultants at major firms (such as McKinsey, Deloitte, and the like), and some become faculty as well. These are just some ideas, but you should also have a good discussion with Columbia about the sectors in which their graduates secure gainful employment and this should also help you decide what area of specialization may be best for you.

Good luck to you. :)

You are definitely not alone in how you feel. :) I am considering the MPH degree as well and so is another friend of mine who has earned a PhD. I've been in basic research for a number of years and so has she, and we've found our interests growing beyond the bench, yet still we have the desire to remain close to science.

I'm targeting a different program but it's my understanding the environmental/occupational health, biostats, and epidemiology fields in particular are growing (according to my current postdoc institution). I'm fortunate in that my academic background is a fit for EH/OH so I'm exploring that, so my plan is to reinvest in what I learned and researched during my PhD and postdoc years in a more community-based and risk/remediation context. You may want to consider what you garnered during your PhD as well and seek to apply that if you can in any way possible--I would think it would make this transition easier, especially in an accelerated program. Also think carefully about what you want to get out of going for the degree, and if you will have a good shot at your target area of employment on the other side (after graduation).

I'm personally targeting environnmental consulting and or environmental policy pertaining to human health risk with the government; I've known of others who have gone on to be staff epidemiologists for municipal, state, or federal governments, program leaders in research institutions for various health studies, health science/policy consultants at major firms (such as McKinsey, Deloitte, and the like), and some become faculty as well. These are just some ideas, but you should also have a good discussion with Columbia about the sectors in which their graduates secure gainful employment and this should also help you decide what area of specialization may be best for you.

Good luck to you. :)

Thanks for your input.
As for me, my research project is on a very,very basic scientific question, which seems far away from human health. So I am looking for some volunteer opportunities in hospital or NGO, just something related to public health that might help in my application.
Good luck to you and your friends.:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi There OP,

I'm also a trained scientist making strides into public health, my interest being global health. I'm hoping to start a MPH program this fall. I was initially hoping to go to Harvard or UCSF, however I don't want to wait a year to enter the program. Since my background is in basic science, I also need a lot of qualitative coursework and a 1-year accelerated program seemed to not be the best fit for me. Besides, I actually enjoy studying what I'm passionate about so:

In answer to your question, in my opinion, it's not UNusual at all for a scientist to be drawn to public health. Several programs are geared towards those with PhDs like us. The accelerated program at Columbia sounds interesting. I met with a rep at the Idealist grad fair in NYC last month and like the idea of the case-based approach. However, again, waiting for a year is not ideal for me. Have you looked into fellowships that award an MPH along the way? For example Traineeships in AIDS Prevention?

~GraC