MPH and PharmD

Started by kxydo798
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kxydo798

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am working on getting applications in right now for MPH programs with a concentration in health education/promotion. After my MPH, I hope to attend pharmacy school, and one day work within the public health sector as a pharmacist.

My question is, with so many schools out there, and with this "academic plan", does the name of the school that I get my MPH from extremely relevant? I know there is another post out there about whether or not the school you chooses will affect you in the future. I don't feel like it really answers this question, so that's why I'm posting a new thread.

Having attended a small private school for my undergrad, I still have some loans to pay back (about 30K). With the intention of going to pharm school afterwards, its not very appealing to me to attend a pricey private school, even if its more prestigious, to get my MPH. I don't know if this is a poor choice...

I haven't really seen any threads on anyone doing a PharmD/MPH, so any information or advice regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks 🙂
 
My question is, with so many schools out there, and with this "academic plan", does the name of the school that I get my MPH from extremely relevant? I know there is another post out there about whether or not the school you chooses will affect you in the future. I don't feel like it really answers this question, so that's why I'm posting a new thread.

Obviously if you attend a prestigious program more opportunities will be available to you after you graduate. That being said, I think the state of accreditation is more immediately important.

I plan to pursue a dual degree pharmd/mph program. However, my schools mph program is not nationally accredited so I will have limited opportunities in state/federal government and larger private firms if it fails accreditation this May.

You may want to go pharmacy school first and then get your mph. You will have a tough time paying back undergrad loans with only a mph.
 
I think that if you are working with just an MPH, the school you attend matters a lot. But since you are also pursuing a PharmD, it is the skills you learn from the MPH which matter most, not really where you went.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly I would just go directly to applying to a Pharm.D program. Pharm.D programs do have a lot of community health emphasis and you will gain a knowledge of public health via rotations as well. Spending an extra 2 years and several thousand dollars more on an MPH doesn't seem like a good deal to me. If you really really like public health, you can do a joint program, which will save you a year over doing the degree separately.