MPH and residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoofyDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have been wanting to do an MPH for a long time but never actually considered it seriously until now. I am also applying for residency this year. Do residency programs assist residents who wish to pursue something like an MPH? Or should I for all realistic purposes postpone this course of action until I finish my residency? I'm seriously interested in public health - that's the major reason why I wish to do an MPH. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure someone on here can offer advice on this (I think some folks on here have completed their MPH during residency). But, 1 way to go is the preventive medicine residency (which includes an MPH year, in which you get paid a resident's salary). Some do another residency first and then do preventive med, but there are also dual programs (IM/preventive med, etc). I always bring up Dartmouth, because they offer preventive med with just about anything (ophtho, ortho, etc).

Preventive med in general is a 3 year deal, but that includes the prelim year (which would be covered if you did another clinical residency first). This just leaves the academic year (where you earn the MPH) and a practical year (where you'd do a public health project).

good for you!!my advise is to check out programs which offer online courses for their MPH programs.i wouldn't bet the bank on the residency programs assisting you, apart from PrevMed.they all see you as "a future doc who's there to learn MEDICINE first"..you have to help yourself..its not that hard to do the MPH slowly, since you have to complete the required credits within a given time frame(3-4 years usually).doing 1-2 courses every semester would stretch you during your residency.however, it is not impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the suggestions! I never thought about the combined programs, but I would imagine that they are limited in number. I've taken several years off already and it would have been perfect for me to have gotten it done already, but I had too many personal issues going on, hence my delay in starting residency. I think my best option would be to wait until I finish residency (if I am fortunate enough to land a spot this year) and then go on to do a prev. med residency. I don't think I'd be able to do it on my own if I didn't have the residency program backing me up. Though I'm sure determined individuals could do it, I am just a goofy doc. :D

GoofyDoc said:
..Though I'm sure determined individuals could do it, I am just a goofy doc. :D
:D come on now..anything can be done,if you want to badly enough.think about the online MPHs offered also. Best of Luck with getting a residency this year! :luck: btw, which field?

Infectious disease fellowships sometimes allow you to complete an MPH.

I applied for IM but am attempting a last minute switch to OB. I don't think there are any combined OB/MPH programs, though something like women's health is a serious public health issue. I would imagine that it might be encouraged by family practice residencies but I don't know about Ob/gyn. I seriously doubt I'd be able to do an MPH on my own during residency without someone breathing down my neck all the time. There's also the cost issue. I've looked at a few online study programs and they cost quite a lot per credit.

Just Heard...my university is deliberating on offering the MPH (Epidemiology) course Online!! that's right, the ENTIRE course!
it is such a relief for me, as i never wanted to ditch my MPH, and would have had to switch from Epi concentration(which i really like) to Public Health Practice concentration(which i don't)..the faculty is voting on it right now, and it may be in place by next fall!if all works out, i could continue my MPH-Epi AND begin residency next year!fingers crossed here..

I know many IM subspecialties encourage fellows to get an MPH. Perhaps the same is true for OB fellowships?