MPH at UPenn? MSCE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fotografía

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting med school at UPenn in the fall, and am considering looking into combined degree options. I've always had an interest in public health, and I have indeed done some public health research abroad. I've done a whole lot of basic science research (3 pubs, 1 of which is 1st author) and while I enjoyed it, I'm thinking of making a shift to more population based clinical research. While it's impossible to know if I will end up going into academic medicine at this point, it seems to me a very appropriate career fit.

So, what makes a good MPH program? Does anyone know anything about Penn's? Penn's program was very recently accredited by the CEPH for the first time, so it's obviously very young. Does that mean anything? Should I consider getting an MPH from UPenn, or perhaps wait to do it somewhere else?

Also, another option is the MD/MSCE (Master's in Clinical Epidemiology) program that Penn has. This has been around for a while and does seem very well organized and developed. The only obvious differences I see between the two is the MPH's capstone experience requirement, and some core courses in the fields of policy/social science, whereas the MSCE is pretty much straight up epi or biostats. Any more thoughts on the differences between these two degrees?

Thanks so much for your input!

Members don't see this ad.