MPH at USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naledi

naledi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about/experience with the University of Southern California MPH program? I know it is fairly new... good program or no? I'm looking at a Health Promotion focus there. I've already accepted a position at GWU (Global Health Promo) but am freaking out about $$ there. That's another thread though. Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

did you apply to the UCs? Much better price/quality combination.

If you're interested primarily in health promotion then I think USC is a good choice. For their other programs, yes they are a new school and you will likely get more bang for your buck elsewhere. However the USC program strives very hard to please its students and help them as much as possible, personally I believe the program is headed on the right track. But for cost vs benefit, at this time its not quite all that if you consider other similar cost schools. Also you should find out about tuition waivers, i forget what USC does but some schools will half or fully cover your tuition if you hold certain kind of jobs within the school. I am certain that USC has some kind of similar program but they are competative of course. And if you have great grades they will offer scholarships. If you want I can put you in touch with a friend whom has nearly finished their first year on the promotion track there, he would be more than happy to help in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think USC will be hard pressed to beat the 8k or so tuition/year at UC's. There really is no good reason to go to USC if you can get into UCLA or Berkeley.

naledi said:
Hey, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about/experience with the University of Southern California MPH program? I know it is fairly new... good program or no? I'm looking at a Health Promotion focus there. I've already accepted a position at GWU (Global Health Promo) but am freaking out about $$ there. That's another thread though. Thanks,

Thanks for your input... I missed the UC deadlines. I live in San Diego so giving USC a shot would be worth it for me (vs. crossing the country to go to school) if the program is solid and I can get some financial assistance.

This is a great site, thank you all for sharing!

massivefunkerg said:
If you're interested primarily in health promotion then I think USC is a good choice. For their other programs, yes they are a new school and you will likely get more bang for your buck elsewhere. However the USC program strives very hard to please its students and help them as much as possible, personally I believe the program is headed on the right track. But for cost vs benefit, at this time its not quite all that if you consider other similar cost schools. Also you should find out about tuition waivers, i forget what USC does but some schools will half or fully cover your tuition if you hold certain kind of jobs within the school. I am certain that USC has some kind of similar program but they are competative of course. And if you have great grades they will offer scholarships. If you want I can put you in touch with a friend whom has nearly finished their first year on the promotion track there, he would be more than happy to help in any way.

Thanks! I would love to hear from a recent USC MPH student. Whats the best way for me to get in touch with him?

I am a first year MPH Biostat/Epi student here at USC and I am really finding it amazing. I too missed the UC deadline and just so happened to apply to USC last minute. Here at USC you are really connected with Keck school of medicine and so your opportunies for research and so on are endless. You are taught by some famous professors and our biostat/epi department is ranked pretty high up there from what I understand (compared to UCLA). However, I will admit that tuition is quite expensive, although I am applying to be a TA/RA for next year which covers more than 1/2 the cost for the semester.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Does anyone have a link to this program?? thank you

naledi said:
Thanks! I would love to hear from a recent USC MPH student. Whats the best way for me to get in touch with him?

Check your private messages.