MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro_nerd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

To my surprise, nobody has created an MPH Fall 2016 thread yet! I joined this site just to start one because I think they were valuable resources to applicants in previous years. So, let the fun, anxiety & night terrors begin! Best of luck to you all, entering class of 2016!!!!

I'm copying stuff over from previous years because I lack originality (and why invent the wheel twice?)
And let's try keep this strictly about the application process for simplification. If information changes, please come back to the thread and keep us updated.

b28fef11c34c6b9013471a13b969f3d6380281814ba9fd1552a8b8e747d67b49.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Undergrad School:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

Interested in:
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me first, yay!

Undergrad School: Private liberal arts in California
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.65/3.86
Major/Minor: Neuroscience and Psychology double major/Philosophy minor
GradGPA: n/a
Grad Studies: n/a
GRE: 160V/157Q/4.5W
Experience/Research:
  • 2.5 years as psychology research lab manager
  • 1 year as president of academic psychology club
  • 1 independent summer research project on stress hormones
  • multiple volunteer experiences in mental health settings
  • multiple poster publications and a 1st place research presentation prize for work on stress hormones at regional conference
  • Currently work for a social service non profit
Interested in: global mental health
Applied:
Columbia (epi), LSHTM, Duke, U of Glasgow, U of Copenhagen
Accepted: Columbia, Duke (25k scholarship)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Your turn!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.75/4.0 SOPHAS GPA: 3.8
Major/Minor: Public Health
Grad Studies: Took first year MPH student sequence as an undergraduate at my home institution
GRE: 161V/158Q/5W.
Experience/Research:
  • 6months Health Services Research on medication adherence
  • 1 year Alcohol and Addiction Studies on teen drinking
  • 1 year CBPR on childhood obesity
  • 2+ years cancer epidemiology research, will lead to honors thesis
  • 4 1st author poster presentations at national undergraduate/graduate student conferences, 2 award winning
  • National fellowship + AACR award winner
  • Misc. - Public Health Club VP, & Coordinator for Women in Science and Engineering
  • LOR- 3 full professors in epidemiology, All of whom I have taken at least 2 classes with, 2 of whom were/are research advisors. Should be very strong.
Really interested in cancer epidemiology and racial health disparities in cancer outcomes for breast and gynecologic cancers, so that's what I've been working on most recents. I bounced around a lot to figure out what I really liked and also to gain skills I think are relevant to all of public health. The end goal is a PhD program, however my mentor (smartly) advised me to apply to Master's and PhD programs so I leave my options open.

Interested in: Harvard(Epi SM2), Yale(CDE Epi MPH), BU(Epi MPH) +some epi PhD programs
Applied: UT-Houston Epi PhD (Applied 10/18, Verified 11/2), Harvard Epi SM2 (11/7), Yale CDE Epi MPH (11/7), BU MPH(11/7)
Accepted: UT-Houston Epi PhD(with instate tuition + $5k), UNC MSPH/PhD in Epi, BU (12/18 with $20k merit aid)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for contributing! It looks like you are a strong applicant for those programs. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Also, I think your meme reflects my current thoughts, but we'll see what happens with the grad school process!

Thanks for creating this thread. :)

Undergrad School: International student
Undergrad GPA: 3.87 (based on WES's evaluation of my transcript)
Major/Minor: Biomedical sciences/Psychology
GradGPA (if applicable): NA
Grad Studies (if applicable): NA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE - 157V/164Q/5W. Retaken - 165V/165Q/5.5W. TOEFL iBT - 116
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years in a government body working on non-communicable disease prevention in the population (cancers and cardiovascular diseases)

Interested in pursuing an MPH (Global Health concentration). My goal is to work in an international organization to improve public health in humanitarian crises.

Interested in: Hopkins (MPH), Harvard (MPH), Columbia (MPH), Yale (MPH), BU (MPH), LSHTM (MPH)
Applied: Hopkins (MPH), Harvard (MPH), Columbia (MPH), Yale (MPH), BU (MPH), LSHTM (MPH)
Accepted: Hopkins (MPH), BU (MPH) + 18K merit, Columbia (MPH) + 30K merit, Yale (MPH), Harvard (MPH) + full tuition scholarship
Attending: Harvard

I also have a question which I'd appreciate if anyone could answer - When listing the colleges attended on SOPHAS (Academic History section), does one have to list any study abroad institutions as well? I ask because I'm an international student and I've checked with the schools I'm applying to - they only need a WES evaluation for the institution I received my undergrad degree from, but not for the study abroad school. Still, I'm not sure if I should still list it here and then risk SOPHAS rejecting my application because I've listed the school but not provided a WES evaluation. Any thoughts? I emailed SOPHAS and but they didn't really get my question / give me a clear answer.

Cheers and all the best to everyone! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for creating this thread. :)

Undergrad School: International student
Undergrad GPA: 3.87 (based on WES's evaluation of my transcript)
Major/Minor: Biomedical sciences/Psychology
GradGPA (if applicable): NA
Grad Studies (if applicable): NA
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE - 157V/164Q/5W (retaking it in 2 weeks - hope I get a marginally better score, esp. for Verbal). TOEFL iBT - 116 (on 120)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years in a government body working on non-communicable disease prevention in the population (cancers and cardiovascular diseases)

Interested in pursuing an MPH (Global Health concentration). My goal is to work in an international organization to improve public health in humanitarian crises.

Interested in: Hopkins (MPH), Harvard (MPH), Columbia (MPH), Yale (MPH), BU (MPH), LSHTM (MPH)
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I also have a question which I'd appreciate if anyone could answer - When listing the colleges attended on SOPHAS (Academic History section), does one have to list any study abroad institutions as well? I ask because I'm an international student and I've checked with the schools I'm applying to - they only need a WES evaluation for the institution I received my undergrad degree from, but not for the study abroad school. Still, I'm not sure if I should still list it here and then risk SOPHAS rejecting my application because I've listed the school but not provided a WES evaluation. Any thoughts? I emailed SOPHAS and but they didn't really get my question / give me a clear answer.

Cheers and all the best to everyone! :)

You need to provide transcripts for every institution where you earned college credit. This includes dual enrollment in high school, vocational school, community college, and study abroad (circumstances vary). If I recall from last year, SOPHAS provides several options for those who underwent study abroad on their FAQ page. If the schools you are applying to are fine with only one transcript then you should be solid. SOPHAS does not reject applications, only schools do. Bottom line: list your study abroad institution.

Another thing I wanted to mention was your GRE scores. They are very good right now, especially your math, and I really doubt that you will be able to do marginally better. You already have a super strong application with your GPA and work experience. I think that you are fairly competitive for the programs you listed, but I'll defer to those who applied to those programs in the past for a more accurate assessment.

Good luck

You need to provide transcripts for every institution where you earned college credit. This includes dual enrollment in high school, vocational school, community college, and study abroad (circumstances vary). If I recall from last year, SOPHAS provides several options for those who underwent study abroad on their FAQ page. If the schools you are applying to are fine with only one transcript then you should be solid. SOPHAS does not reject applications, only schools do. Bottom line: list your study abroad institution.

Another thing I wanted to mention was your GRE scores. They are very good right now, especially your math, and I really doubt that you will be able to do marginally better. You already have a super strong application with your GPA and work experience. I think that you are fairly competitive for the programs you listed, but I'll defer to those who applied to those programs in the past for a more accurate assessment.

Good luck

Thanks Pudu2009! That's helpful - I will be listing my study abroad institute on my SOPHAS application. I do agree with you that I'm unlikely to be able to improve my GRE score. Unfortunately I signed up for the test already (a few weeks ago) so I'm just going to give it another shot. Let's see how it goes.

I have another question in case you might be able to help. I understand that after you submit your SOPHAS application, SOPHAS takes a while to verify it (about 4-6 weeks). I'd like to know whether this means that our applications need to be completed 4-6 weeks before the schools'/programs' deadlines listed on SOPHAS. Eg. if a program's deadline is Dec 1, does my SOPHAS application need to be completed by mid-October?

Hi everyone! Excited that this thread is finally here. Edited 10/19 to add test scores and a school list.

Undergrad: Northwestern University
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.89
GRE: V - 169(!!!), Q - 156, AWA - 5.5. I did a bunch of math prep and was hoping for a better score, but this is above average for everywhere I'm applying (with verbal way above average). Perfectionist me is pouting, and sane me is so happy to be done.
Experience: *2+ years as lab manager of a child psychology lab that studies children's social cognitive development (i.e., how they think about group membership, intergroup relations and real-world social categories like race, gender, SES, etc.), lab located at a top-5 university
*1 year as lab manager in undergrad for social psych lab studying body image, sexuality and the media
*1.5 years as research assistant in an infant cognition lab
*10-month internship at a crisis hotline for runaway and homeless youth
*2-month internship at a national non-profit dedicated to mental health advocacy on college campuses
*Helped found a chapter of the org mentioned above on my college campus, served on its executive board (including as president) for three years
*Spearheaded campaign to get mental health programming included in my alma mater's freshman orientation programming, succeeded & helped develop programming
Other: *First-author on poster presentation for project examining kids' expectations about a gender pay gap
*First generation college graduate

LOR: Professor in undergrad (also was head of the body image & sex lab), call center supervisor at runaway hotline, current boss

Interested in: Berkeley - MPH (Health and Social Behavior), Columbia - MPH (Sociomedical Sciences, Social Determinants of Health cert), University of Washington - MPH (Health Services, Social and Behavioral Sciences), Yale - MPH (Social and Behavioral Sciences)
Applied: Columbia (11/19), Berkeley (11/22), UW COPHP (1/14), donezo!
Accepted:
Waitlist:
Rejected:

Best of luck to everyone else! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have another question in case you might be able to help. I understand that after you submit your SOPHAS application, SOPHAS takes a while to verify it (about 4-6 weeks). I'd like to know whether this means that our applications need to be completed 4-6 weeks before the schools'/programs' deadlines listed on SOPHAS. Eg. if a program's deadline is Dec 1, does my SOPHAS application need to be completed by mid-October?

Basically yes. Also, keep in mind that you can add more designations even after submitting. This way, if you feel like you don't have time to write a bunch of SoPs, you can apply to schools with the soonest deadlines first and do the other ones later.

Unfortunately I signed up for the test already (a few weeks ago) so I'm just going to give it another shot. Let's see how it goes.

Is there any way that you can cancel your order. It just seems a shame to sit through a stressful 3+ hour test if you don't really need to. I guess you can always choose not to report your newest scores if you don't do better.

I guess I can include my information here. Current medical student applying for MPH between 3rd year and 4th year.

Undergrad School: State School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: ~3.9/3.9
Major/Minor: Microbiology
Medical School: Top 10 (in a good year)
Medical School GPA: All Pass (P/F only so far)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): MCAT >90 percentile with no GRE
Undergrad: 3+ years epi research, no pubs. 3+ years community service at free clinic. A lot of teaching/tutoring stuff.
Medical School: Some basic science research and antibiotic stewardship stuff(Was very confused what I wanted in life here haha) w/ 1 presentation and 1 poster. Some community service.

Somewhat limited in where I can apply because of timing and MCAT. Not concerned about my stats but concerned slightly about my ECs, especially since in medical school I have not done a ton except medical school.

Good luck everyone :clap:!

Interested in: Hopkins(MPH), Harvard(MPH), Berkeley(11 month Epi MPH), Emory(MPH), LSTM&H(Msc) (interested in a few more programs but probably have my hands full with this list)
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm glad people are using this thread. I just want to encourage others not to feel overwhelmed by some of the stats already posted. Those who have already posted after me appear to be stellar applicants! Good job, folks! Nobody is here to judge, so please put yourself out there! We all have our positive and negative attributes, and graduate school admission isn't entirely about the numbers. There's a program out there for everyone, so let's all get through this process together.;)

I guess I can include my information here. Current medical student applying for MPH between 3rd year and 4th year.

GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): MCAT >90 percentile with no GRE
Undergrad: 3+ years epi research, no pubs. 3+ years community service at free clinic. A lot of teaching/tutoring stuff.
Medical School: Some basic science research and antibiotic stewardship stuff(Was very confused what I wanted in life here haha) w/ 1 presentation and 1 poster. Some community service.

Somewhat limited in where I can apply because of timing and MCAT. Not concerned about my stats but concerned slightly about my ECs, especially since in medical school I have not done a ton except medical school.

Interested in: Hopkins(MPH), Harvard(MPH), Berkeley(11 month Epi MPH), Emory(MPH), LSTM&H(Msc) (interested in a few more programs but probably have my hands full with this list)
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Thank you for adding diversity to the applicants on this thread :doctor: (apparently doctor emoji has bushy eyebrows)

Hi, everyone!

To my surprise, nobody has created an MPH Fall 2016 thread yet! I joined this site just to start one because I think they were valuable resources to applicants in previous years. So, let the fun, anxiety & night terrors begin! Best of luck to you all, entering class of 2016!!!!

I'm copying stuff over from previous years because I lack originality (and why invent the wheel twice?)
And let's try keep this strictly about the application process for simplification. If information changes, please come back to the thread and keep us updated.

View attachment 196509

Undergrad School:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/Minor:
GradGPA
(if applicable):

Interested in:
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Me first, yay!

Undergrad School: U of San Diego
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.55/3.86
Major/Minor: Neuroscience and Psychology double major/Philosophy minor
Grad Studies: n/a
GRE: Taken in 2014 with minimal studying, so I'm scheduled to take it again in a couple of months with adequate preparation. Either way, my scores from last year are 160V/157Q/4.5W. (Yes, I realize that these are pretty good scores. I just want to challenge myself and feel like I did my best.)
Experience/Research:
  • 2.5 years as psychology research lab manager
  • 1 year as president of academic psychology club president
  • 1 independent summer research project on stress hormones funded by research grant
  • multiple volunteer experiences in mental health settings (special ed. classroom, autism behavioral training, at-risk youth mentoring)
  • multiple poster publications and a 1st place research presentation prize for work on stress hormones at regional conference
  • Misc. - member of a few honor societies in psychology and science, studied abroad with Semester at Sea, and received highest achievement award for a graduating senior in my academic department
No work experience or journal publications or extensive international experience :(

If you can't tell by now, I really like studying mental health. My interest in public health is very specific in global mental health. (Please wish me luck that I'll somehow find a job in the future in this nearly nonexistent, poorly funded field.) So, the schools I'm applying to specialize in this field, and some of them aren't even MPH programs. Oh well, let's just go with it!

Interested in: Johns Hopkins (MHS), NYU (MPH), Columbia (MPH), U of Oxford (MSc), LSHTM (MSc), Duke (MSGH), U of Glasgow (MSc), U of Melbourne (probably going to drop this one), U of Denver (MA), McGill (MSc)
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Your turn!

Hi, fellow psych lab manager! :hello: What kind of research does your lab do?

Also, since we seem to have similar experiences: not sure if this is something worth worrying about/something you worry about too, but I worry that my balance of experience skews too far in the academic rather than the applied/practical direction. I know I can spin the research topics as being relevant to public health (yay for studying social cognition!), but I still worry that I don't have enough hands-on experience for a professional degree like an MPH. Hopefully schools won't agree, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)

Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Lucky you for not having to take the GRE! You know, not that med school is a picnic. ;) Best of luck with your apps!

Undergrad School: Public Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.89/40 (This will probably be a lot lower because of grades from a previous undergraduate institution which SOPHAS calculates. Yikes!)
Major/Minor: Public Health
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE 168V/170Q/5.5W
  • AmeriCorps Health Volunteer
  • Experience as a Health tech/health educator for one year for a small company
  • Undergraduate research assistant for one year
  • Cleveland Clinic Health Unit Coordinator
  • Volunteered for an organization who helps women with rape/abuse/domestic violence
  • Interned as a nutrition educator at the Children's Hunger Alliance
  • Served as an undergraduate service coordinator in the health dept at my undergrad institution
  • Counselor at a disability camp
  • Several other volunteer organizations

So I'm worried about my GPA weakening my application, not sure if I really even am competitive as an applicant, but I am interested in the Peace Corps program which is offered with several MPH degrees so I hope this helps my chances. Well here it goes...

Interested in: Columbia (MPH/MI), Duke (MPH/MI), George Washington (MPH/MI), Emory (MPH/MI), Hopkins (MPH/MI)
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Guys I have a problem with my evaluations, my recommenders can't upload the recommendation letter, has anyone faced the same problem? please help me..

Did you input your recommenders' information into SOPHAS properly? Go over it again and make sure you didn't make any spelling mistakes. I am assuming your recommenders did not get the e-mail from SOPHAS to upload. If they did, then its either a glitch in SOPHAS or a problem on their end.

No they recieved the email and finished the evaluation, but the uploading part is not working.. this what they told me ..

No they recieved the email and finished the evaluation, but the uploading part is not working.. this what they told me ..

Then either something is wrong on your recommenders' end or on SOPHAS's end. I'm thinking it's a SOPHAS issue, since all of your recommenders are having an issue rather than just one. If it does not work for a while, try contacting SOPHAS and see what's going on.

Hi everyone, I'm currently a 1st year MPH student at Columbia in the SMS department. If you have any questions about the program, feel free to message me or post on here! I know how confusing Columbia's website and info can be. And their administration isn't the best, which is why I'm posting here. I will say that I have loved my experience with Columbia so far though!

Hi everyone, I'm currently a 1st year MPH student at Columbia in the SMS department. If you have any questions about the program, feel free to message me or post on here! I know how confusing Columbia's website and info can be. And their administration isn't the best, which is why I'm posting here. I will say that I have loved my experience with Columbia so far though!
Ah, thanks so much for offering to weigh in! I was a lurker on the Fall 2015 thread and kept seeing mixed things about Columbia. It was originally high on my list of schools, but that made me a bit less enthusiastic. o_O

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what do you love about the program? Are you involved in any research projects going on in the department? Their focus on mass incarceration has me very interested!

Undergrad School: Small SUNY
Undergrad GPA: 3.55, according to SOPHAS
Major/Minor: Sociology / Ethics and Social Policy double major, minors in Business / Cultural Anthropology / English / Theatre. Hah.
GradGPA: 3.57 (3 out of 5 courses in certificate complete)
Grad Studies: Advanced Certificate in Public Health (the 5 core courses of the MPH, basically)
GRE: 165V(95%)/160Q(78%)/4.5W

Experience/Research:
  • several collegiate academic honor societies
  • 1 year, currently an AmeriCorps National member working on providing healthy housing
  • ~6 months, patient advocacy intern at local hospital
  • ~6 months, victim advocate with a domestic violence hotline / shelter / advocacy organization
  • 1 semester, development intern with a nonprofit working on food equity and justice
  • 3 months, summer school teacher in Granada, Nicaragua
  • 1 year, ESL/BLL tutor with a literacy organization
  • 1 year, community service director for a radio station
1 strong academic reference, 1 from my direct supervisor at my current AmeriCorps position, 1 from our executive director

So basically, a whole lot of fairly unrelated experience that I'm hoping makes me sound impressive when it's all lumped together.

The only science I took in undergrad was an intro level Environmental Science class, and I took intro level biology this past summer at a community college. I took statistics (A) and calc 1 (B+) in undergrad, but got a B+ in biostats in my post-grad, which I'm a little concerned may count against me.

Applied: Oregon MPH Epi (submitted 10/14, verified 11/3), UTexas Austin Campus Epi (submitted 10/18, verified 11/3), University of South Florida Epi & Global Health Practice (11/3), Tulane University MPH Epi (11/11), Emory (11/13), Columbia (11/21)
Accepted: Tulane (11/17), UTHSC-Austin (12/3), USF (01/06), Emory (01/18), Columbia (02/11), Oregon MPH (02/19)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Ah, thanks so much for offering to weigh in! I was a lurker on the Fall 2015 thread and kept seeing mixed things about Columbia. It was originally high on my list of schools, but that made me a bit less enthusiastic. o_O

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what do you love about the program? Are you involved in any research projects going on in the department? Their focus on mass incarceration has me very interested!

Yeah for sure. The program really is one of a kind curriculum wise. The professors are awesome, and all the students here are really passionate (of course). The school actually doesn't recommend us doing any work because we are in class for almost 25 hours a week this first semester. Honestly, there isn't any time to work, but it's never too late to start talking with professors. The best part about Columbia is the connections that it has. There are so many organizations and other universities here such as Cornell, NYU, Clinton Foundation, NY State Department of Health. But the concerns about the administration and organization are well-founded

Undergrad School: UC Berkeley
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4 Cumulative uGPA, 3.7 last 2 years
Major/Minor: Public Health & Biology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Will take in November...although expecting my scores to float around 60% for both verbal and quant based on practice tests. Not too strong.

• Columbia Summer Biostatistics Program (8 weeks) : Analyzed data on new cross-sectional study in South Africa about South African Healthcareworkers, hormonal contraceptive use, and risk of acquiring STIs.
  • Gay couples research (6 months): Helped recruitment, screening, and other non-analysis facilitation of HIV-risk research for gay couples living in San Francisco.
  • Free Clinic (3 years) - screened people for sexually transmitted infections and acted as sexual health educator. Gained tremendous clinical experience and direct contact with both patients and doctors/
  • 3 years volunteering in a student organization that outreaches to underprivileged students and helps them reach their higher education goals. Facilitated a class in multicultural leadership and empowerment of students of color.
  • Have taken 2 graduate level classes, one in Epidemiology and one in Biostatistical analysis. Received an A- on both.
Currently have 4 LORS in stock - One from head of Epidemiology department at Berkeley, one from a general public health professor who knows me well, one from the epidemiology professor at Columbia I did research with, and one from the free clinic I worked in 3 years. Which 3 I will use will depend on the school's requirements for LORs.

Graduating at the end of December so I will have a few months between graduation and graduate school.

Interested in: Epidemiology/Biostatistics
Applied: MPH - UC Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia. PhD - UC Irvine, Indianna University - Bloomington, University of Edinburgh
Accepted: will update
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: A Large Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.17/2.99
Major/Minor: Biological Sciences B.A
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
GRE taken September. V: 161 Q:157 AW: 4.5

~9 months experience in a biopsychology lab
~9 months experience in a public health non-profit as an intern
~ 1 publication resulting from my work in the aforementioned biopsych lab.
~2 months as a tutor at my university
~2 years Public Relations Officer at Toastmasters International branch at my university

UPDATE: I'll admit, I was a bit concerned about getting in anywhere because I didn't become interested in public health until my 2nd year of college. Nevertheless, I still got into my top pick (Emory). It is likely because of my letters of recommendation (two former professors and two former supervisors in biology and public health) and 3 months I spent writing and editing my SOP's because as the above information may indicate, I'm no straight-A student.
:hungover:

Good Luck Everyone! :thumbup:

Interested in: Epidemiology
Applied (9/30): San Diego State University (Epi.), University of Maryland (Epi.), UCLA (Epi.), UC Irvine (Epi.), UC Berkeley (Epi./Biostat.), Oregon Health and Sciences University (Epi.), Emory (Epi.), GWU (Epi.), Colorado School of Public Health (Epi.)
Accepted: GWU (11/10), Emory (1/20), UMD (1/21), OHSU (2/8), UCI (3/1), SDSU (3/7), CSPH (3/23)
Rejected: UCB (3/1), UCLA (4/2)
Waitlisted: None
Attending: Emory University

Last edited:
Hello everyone! This feels like a very funny thing to do because I remember doing it about 10 years ago when applying to undergrad...yeah I'm that old ;)

Undergrad School: 2 years Ivy, 2 years small state school (diploma's from there)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2/don't know
Major/Minor: International Studies with Latin America concentration/Spanish
GradGPA: 3.9 (M1 in France, evaluated as equivalent to senior year of US undergrad, so I guess a double major?)
Grad Studies: International Business Management
GRE: V: 170 Q: 157 AW: 5
Experience/Research :
- study abroad in southern Mexico designing/constructing appropriate technology solutions to combat health/sanitation risks
- undergrad research in Honduras on local geography's influence on sanitation, nutrition and healthcare access for community
- 2 years volunteering with grassroots health and education NGOs in Ecuador, Honduras, Thailand, South Africa
- 4 months internship in digital marketing in Marseille
- 4 months consulting for entrepreneurship research startup in Paris
- 4 months fundraising at an open source tech nonprofit in Portland, Or
- 7 months account management for employer-sponsored health and ancillary insurance at national carrier in San Francisco

Interested in: health policy and management, global health
Applied: GW, UC Berkeley will apply: U of Washington
Accepted: GW (10/21)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm only interested in part-time/online programs because I can't imagine taking 2 years off for school at this point in my life. I became interested in Public Health when I returned to the US and started working for the Blues--before that I had no idea this field existed.

Best of luck to all of you.

Last edited:
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5/ don't know
Major/Minor: Biology, English/ no minor
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Haven't taken yet but will soon
1 gap-year working for a community health and education non-profit, specially working with mentally ill, elderly, rural, low-income population
1 semester volunteering for local healthcare provider (like planned parenthood but not)
1 year as an intern for campus Diversity and Equity office
1 summer in a program for women interested working in government and public service
2 years as Resident Assistant
2 years as call counselor at student-run information and crisis hotline
2 years as Student Aide in campus Office of Human Resources
3.5 years as volunteer teacher for elementary science education

Worried about if lack of research will hurt me combined with some lower grades in the hard sciences coursework. We'll just have to see.

Interested in: Health Behavior (MPH), especially health disparities for Berkeley, Columbia, UNC, U-Michigan, Brown, SUNY Albany, UMD-College Park
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: A small liberal arts college in NJ
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.85/3.75
Major/Minor: Psychology Major, Public Health Minor
GRE: Q: 152, V: 153, AWA 5.5
Experience/Research
(please, be brief): Research:
-Experience in two research labs:
one is focused on sexual and reproductive health, one focuses on health disparities.

-Internship: 320 hour internship working in an Eating Disorder Unit

-On campus activities:
VOX: Voices for Planned Parenthood. Event chair: plan campus wide events, educate students about the services available to them on campus, defend the organization during a time of great scrutiny (smear campaign, house vote to defund), clinic escorting, sex education, provide volunteer opportunities for members, etc.
Member of the Humanitarian Yoga Club: Promote mental & physical health throughout the campus community, promote mindfulness, focus on one global cause per year, provide members with volunteer opportunities.

Interested in: Health Behavior
Applied (I will within the next two months): Emory (BSHE), UNC Chapel Hill (HB), Temple University, Drexel, U-Mich HBHE
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know I'm aiming high here with two of them, let me know if you have any advice.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: A small liberal arts college in NJ
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.85/3.75
Major/Minor: Psychology Major, Public Health Minor
GRE:
Taking 11/3, practice test results were: 159V, 149Q, AWA 3.5 (Will report back with actual scores)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Research:
-Experience in two research labs:
one is focused on sexual and reproductive health, one focuses on health disparities.

-Internship: 320 hour internship working in an Eating Disorder Unit

-On campus activities:
VOX: Voices for Planned Parenthood. Event chair: plan campus wide events, educate students about the services available to them on campus, defend the organization during a time of great scrutiny (smear campaign, house vote to defund), clinic escorting, sex education, provide volunteer opportunities for members, etc.
Member of the Humanitarian Yoga Club: Promote mental & physical health throughout the campus community, promote mindfulness, focus on one global cause per year, provide members with volunteer opportunities.

Interested in: Health Behavior
Applied (I will within the next two months): Emory (BSHE), UNC Chapel Hill (HB), Temple University, Arcadia University
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know I'm aiming high here with two of them, let me know if you have any advice.

Nothing wrong with aiming high so long as you have a couple safeties. Some advice to bring your GRE scores up:
  • Do as many practice problems and exams as you can. When taking the exams, do them in one uninterrupted setting, taking the maximum allotted breaks (I think it's two ten minute breaks).
  • See if you can get some computerized practice exams so you get something close to the real thing.
  • For the math problems, don't focus on solving the problem. Sometimes you can figure out the solution from the answer choices through process of elimination. If it's a variable problem, see if plugging in numbers can help rather than solving for a variable.
  • For the reading comprehension problems, skim the passage to get the main idea, then read specific portions if the question asks.
  • If you need to strengthen your vocabulary, flashcards and an Essential Words for the GRE book will really help.
  • Writing is more difficult since they don't grade the writing portions on the practice tests.
  • Most importantly, practice, practice, practice.
Your GPA is fantastic and you have great experience, so as long as you get that quant score up you can safely aim high.

Undergrad School: FSU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3/unsure but should be about the same
Major/Minor: Biology/Chemistry
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 157V (74%), 150Q(40%), AWA 5.0 (93%) Retaking to bring up quantitative score!
-1 year at local health department
-1 year of sexual health research with the College of Medicine
-Teaching Assistant for Medical Sociology course
-Receiving a certificate in Emergency Management and Homeland Security
-Medical mission trip member to Guyana
-200+ hours of community service
-Orientation Leader
-University Ambassador

I hoped to have more public health experience, but I only recently found out about MPH and how much it fit my interests in infectious disease. Hopefully what I have is enough, I hope to play up campus involvement/public speaking skills? I am hoping to really bring up my GRE so that my lower GPA doesn't bring me down. Really hoping to go to Emory, but the cost is really hard to get over. Having in state tuition for USF is tempting. But also really intrigued by Berkeley's infectious disease program. I have to submit my apps in a month, so I am only applying to four schools. Is this too risky? I am afraid that I am aiming to high :(

Interested in:
Global Health/Infectious Disease/Maybe Epi
Applied (or will be soon): Emory (Global Epidemiology), University of Alabama-Birmingham(Epidemiology), USF (Global Health-Communicable Diseases), UGA- (Epidemiology)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: FSU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3/unsure but should be about the same
Major/Minor: Biology/Chemistry
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 157V (74%), 150Q(40%), AWA 5.0 (93%) Retaking to bring up quantitative score!
-1 year at local health department
-1 year of sexual health research with the College of Medicine
-Teaching Assistant for Medical Sociology course
-Receiving a certificate in Emergency Management and Homeland Security
-Medical mission trip member to Guyana
-200+ hours of community service
-Orientation Leader
-University Ambassador

I hoped to have more public health experience, but I only recently found out about MPH and how much it fit my interests in infectious disease. Hopefully what I have is enough, I hope to play up campus involvement/public speaking skills? I am hoping to really bring up my GRE so that my lower GPA doesn't bring me down. Really hoping to go to Emory, but the cost is really hard to get over. Having in state tuition for USF is tempting. But also really intrigued by Berkeley's infectious disease program. I have to submit my apps in a month, so I am only applying to four schools. Is this too risky? I am afraid that I am aiming to high :(

Interested in:
Global Health/Infectious Disease/Maybe Epi
Applied (or will be soon): Emory (Global Health-Infectious Disease), UC Berkeley (Infectious Diseases), USF (Global Health-Communicable Diseases), UT Houston (Epi)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

If you are interested in Global Health/Infectious Disease, or both together, you might also want to consider Brown. They have a Global Health Scholars Program that can slightly offset the cost.

Are you guys prioritizing contacting faculty in your programs of interest? I'm surrounded by PhD students, and naturally they had extensive contact with their prospective advisors. I've written to a couple whose research projects stood out to me, but I'm wondering how important it is for MPH applicants to contact people from each program they apply to. Any input would be great! :)

Nothing wrong with aiming high so long as you have a couple safeties. Some advice to bring your GRE scores up:
  • Do as many practice problems and exams as you can. When taking the exams, do them in one uninterrupted setting, taking the maximum allotted breaks (I think it's two ten minute breaks).
  • See if you can get some computerized practice exams so you get something close to the real thing.
  • For the math problems, don't focus on solving the problem. Sometimes you can figure out the solution from the answer choices through process of elimination. If it's a variable problem, see if plugging in numbers can help rather than solving for a variable.
  • For the reading comprehension problems, skim the passage to get the main idea, then read specific portions if the question asks.
  • If you need to strengthen your vocabulary, flashcards and an Essential Words for the GRE book will really help.
  • Writing is more difficult since they don't grade the writing portions on the practice tests.
  • Most importantly, practice, practice, practice.
Your GPA is fantastic and you have great experience, so as long as you get that quant score up you can safely aim high.

Thank you so much for your advice! I actually just realized I went back and edited my post and screwed one thing up...
I went to community college for 2 years and got an associate's degree--the 3.85 was my GPA for that school. The 3.75 is my current school. So, that was my mistake, I edited my post to take out the community college thing, thinking it wasn't relevant, then left the GPA part in. Oops! Still a great GPA though. :)
And with the writing score: I had the Princeton review book that comes with online practice tests and they actually do have people who grade the writing portion on the practice tests! I clearly didn't do so well.. But you only get two practice tests with them, so I still have one left.

What do you guys think as far as the Community College thing? Since I won't technically have my bachelor's degree until May 2016, is it an appropriate thing to put on my CV that I have an associate's from a community college? I realize there's the stigma of community college but I did have a 3.8 GPA and was in their national honor society (Phi Theta Kappa)... I'm just conflicted about that, and different professors will tell me different things.

I'm not too sure about CVs as I don't have one yet, but don't you have to list all of your post high school education on there? You have to send in your transcripts from the CC anyway so you may as well list it, especially the Phi Theta Kappa.

I have received an acceptance letter from UNT despite that my application is still in verification phase ! is this possible ?!!

It is possible. Sometimes schools will look at your SOPHAS application when it's complete but not verified yet. Congratulations on your first acceptance!

Yay! Thank you for this thread. So happy to know there are others going through this process alongside me.

Undergrad School: Top 25 Institution
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.679/4.0
Major/Minor: Psychology
GRE: 156V/165Q/5W.
Experience/Research:
  • 2 years during undergrad working for ER physician who also started up his own nonprofit work in Guatemala - my introduction to global health
  • Independent summer research project in Guatemala under the mentorship of said physician - research was on access and availability of women's reproductive health services and education
  • 1 year spent in Guatemala after my research ended to continue working for an NGO devoted to delivering health care to rural communities where I served as a chronic care program officer coordinating education classes
Applied: Columbia Epidemiology with Global Health certificate
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Hey, everyone! Thanks for putting this thread together. I've been lurking for a bit, but now the clock's ticking louder.

Undergrad School: UNC for BA/CC for an AA
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.65/3.8
Major/Minor: Psychology, BA & AA
GRE: V=158; Q=150; W=5.5
(Planning on retaking it in Nov, but so nervous for the quant section)
  • 2 years as a public health analyst for a major research institute (health communication research; have a couple of technical reports/manuscript from this job)
  • 2 years as a research assistant in a psychology lab
  • freelance videographer for health nonprofits in the area
  • 3 mos. as an intern at a health insurance company
  • Transfer student mentor
  • 1 year as a student coordinator for a community/civic engagement organization at my CC
  • 1 year as an admin for a small medical consulting firm
  • 300+ community service hours
Other: *first generation college/grad student.
LOR: two current supervisors and one global public health/public policy professor.

I'm applying for a dual degree program (MPH/MCRP), but I'm pretty concerned about my GRE score. I know it's a holistic review...I just can't help but worry. Also, I have writer's block with the statement of purpose. Here's to a good level of stress for productivity!

Interested in:
UNC at Chapel Hill (Health Behaviors/City & Regional Planning); UW at Seattle (Health Services/City & Regional Planning).
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Yowzas! All of your credentials look amazing people, hopefully I can squeeze into one school!! So glad someone finally started this thread! Good luck to everyone :)

Undergrad School: University of Ottawa
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4/NA
Major/Minor: Interdisciplinary Health Sciences
GRE: V=151; Q=151 W=5.5
  • Honours thesis on maternal health in Canada
  • 2 years as a data analyst for the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
  • 1 years as a research assistant for the Centre for Global Health
  • 5 months as a research assistant at a psychiatric epidemiology lab
  • 8 months as a research assistant for the Department of Respirology at SickKids
  • 4 years as a board of directors member with a grassroots charity
  • 2 years volunteer at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario
  • 6 years volunteer at a small hospital in Toronto

LOR: Two current professors, one is for population health and other is for public health

Interested in:
Health Policy & Management - Columbia (MPH), BU (MPH), uMich (MPH), LSE (MSc International Health Policy), and LSHTM (MSc in HPPF). Generalist track - uPenn, Brown
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

** I'm hoping my work experience makes up for my GRE/GPA. If anyone has any suggestions for what schools I should apply to, I'm all ears!

I'm not too sure about CVs as I don't have one yet, but don't you have to list all of your post high school education on there? You have to send in your transcripts from the CC anyway so you may as well list it, especially the Phi Theta Kappa.
I don't believe we are supposed to include anything from high school on there... No one has told me that at all, plus I did pretty much nothing in high school so it would probably make me look bad. I started really caring about school/grades when I entered Community College.

I don't believe we are supposed to include anything from high school on there... No one has told me that at all, plus I did pretty much nothing in high school so it would probably make me look bad. I started really caring about school/grades when I entered Community College.

As far as I know, you should not include anything from high school on your CV, but I do think you have to include everything post high school, since it's a lifelong resume. That's what my roommate with an impressive CV says at least. So, don't stress about your high school stuff; it is not taken into consideration at all.

Undergrad School: IMG
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.15
Major/Minor: Medicine
GRE Q 162 V 157 AWA 3.0
Experience/Research
:
- One year clinical internship
- One year undergraduate research
- Two excellent academic recommendations, one good professional recommendation and a semi personal recommendation from an emeritus professor in an American university.

Interested in: Health Policy and Administration
Applied: WUSTL, BU, UIC, Emory, UNT, Minnesota, Arizona, JHSPH (nothing is impossible :D), Ohio State U
Accepted: UNT, JHSPH :cat:,
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Undergrad School: University of Kansas
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.27/3.30, O-chem hurt me! (Minor: 3.80)
Major/Minor: Genetics with a minor in Anthropology
GradGPA
(if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE 154 V, 156 Q, 4.0 AWA: I am retaking in early November
  • 3 consecutive semesters as a Teaching Assistant and lab prep for microbiology labs
  • Student shadow/volunteer at our local hospital
  • 2 years as a rank leader and webmaster for the marching band
  • Recognition for research in Cultural Anthropology: Presented guest lectures on research methods for Intro classes.
  • Peer Health Educator and consistent volunteer with campus blood drives
  • Recently assisted in a grant application for research involving mathematical modeling in the spread of malaria
I'm a little concerned that my stats are average with limited experience. Reading all of the other posts makes me particularly nervous, but I am hoping that my passion will shine through in my Personal Statement and LOR's. Would anyone else recommend any programs that might offer opportunities in disaster response (my other goal)? I am still trying to decide on a reach school or two to apply to. I particularly admire the USPHS commissioned corps and am also very interested in surveillance and reemerging diseases. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I should also note that I'm very concerned about my opportunities for financial assistance at mid to top tier schools)

Interested in: SLU (Joint MPH in Epi and Disaster Preparedness), USF (Epi and Global Communicable Disease), Tulane (Disaster/Epi), UGA (disaster/epi), Oklahoma/Colorado/Nebraksa (Epi)
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I totally feel you on that o-chem, it hurt me too. but I think that you have good experience and good LORs, which will be helpful. I believe that USF has a disaster response focus, as does Tulane. So maybe you can look into those. I have very similar interests in surveillance and reemerging diseases, so good luck to you!

Undergrad School: University of Kansas
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.27/3.30, O-chem hurt me! (Minor: 3.80)
Major/Minor: Genetics with a minor in Anthropology
GradGPA
(if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE 154 V, 156 Q, 4.0 AWA: I am retaking in early November
  • 3 consecutive semesters as a Teaching Assistant and lab prep for microbiology labs
  • Student shadow/volunteer at our local hospital
  • 2 years as a rank leader and webmaster for the marching band
  • Recognition for research in Cultural Anthropology: Presented guest lectures on research methods for Intro classes.
  • Peer Health Educator and consistent volunteer with campus blood drives
  • Recently assisted in a grant application for research involving mathematical modeling in the spread of malaria
I'm a little concerned that my stats are average with limited experience. Reading all of the other posts makes me particularly nervous, but I am hoping that my passion will shine through in my Personal Statement and LOR's. Would anyone else recommend any programs that might offer opportunities in disaster response (my other goal)? I am still trying to decide on a reach school or two to apply to. I particularly admire the USPHS commissioned corps and am also very interested in surveillance and reemerging diseases. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I should also note that I'm very concerned about my opportunities for financial assistance at mid to top tier schools)

Interested in: SLU (Joint MPH in Epi and Disaster Preparedness), USF (Epi and Global Communicable Disease), Colorado (Epi), Oklahoma (Epi)
Applied:
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Hi!
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6 /4.0 in major /3.33 in SOPHAS
Major/Minor: Anthropology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 9/2/15 ..,152V 145Q 4 AW :confused:
- 2 independent research projects supervised by Women and Gender studies faculty mentor focused on policy analysis. Both will be published by the time I graduate. In press.
-McNair Scholar
-Lamda Alpha Honors Society
- Involved in local initiatives for non-profit concerning tobacco policy. 6 months paid.
- Health Promoter 6 months paid.
-1 year + full time working at a hospital in medical records.
-1 year + full time managing laser clinic.
- 2 years receptionist for clinical massage therapy business.

LOR - non-profit director, faculty mentor and former professor.

I don't know if this makes a difference but I'm a 1st generation college student and mother. I'm really worried about my GRE scores! I have severe text anxiety and I don't know if I would do better retaking them. I hoping 5 years work experience in the healthcare field will help me.

Interested in:
Health Policy and Management
U of Arizona, UC Davis, U of Wash (MCH), UC Berkeley,Tufts, U of Mich. U of SC, GW, Columbia.
Applied: all verified 11/19
Accepted: Tufts 12/10, U of South Carolina 2/12, U of Wash 2/25, U of Arizona 2/26, UC Davis 3/24.
Rejected: GW 1/25, U of Mich 2/26, UC Berkeley 3/18.
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Welp. I'm looking at all of these applications and I'm just excited no one so far (that I noticed) has mentioned UT-SPH Houston ;)
Undergrad School: University of Houston System
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.87 in the last 60 hours, but my lower levels are going to tank this :arghh:
Major/Minor: double major psychology/anthropology
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable): I'm taking 2 graduate level classes as an undergrad--maybe this counts?
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 152 Q, 163 V, 4.0 AWA I'm really excited by the V score, but thought I would do slightly better in the AWA. I was scoring in the mid- to high-140s in my pre-tests for Q, so I'll take that 152!
Mine is just work experience (crisis mental health intake) for 2+ years. Possibly moving to a case manager position after graduation in December.
Interested in: Applying for a dual degree MSW/MPH. Mental health is my interest currently, but I do want to explore hospice social work at some point. In PH, I'm looking at epidemiology, but not sure if my education/experience will qualify...
I'm really throwing a lot into one chance since everything else I'm planning on applying for is MSW.
Applied: pending applications for UHouston (MSW) and UT-SPH (MPH)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

(edited to add GRE scores)

Last edited: