You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Timeline of your application to Yale?
Edit: Read the top of this page (22)
I didn't see a lot of people trying to get into an MPH coordinated dietetics program but would be very curious to hear other people's experience if you are in/have applied/were accepted into one!
Undergrad School: Western Washington University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2 (but 4.0 for entire post-bach, 13 classes! I avoided science like crazy in my undergrad, turns out I love science. Who knew.)
Major/Minor: Major: Political Science, Minor: Environmental Studies
GradGPA: N/A
Grad Studies: (hopefully) MPH + graduate coordinated program in dietetics
GRE: 157V/152Q/4.5W (only took it once, strongly considered retaking for better scores... not sure how this compares to others who applied)
Experience/Research:
Interested in: community nutrition, food and nutrition policy, sustainable food systems. Want to complete a coordinated program to become an RD.
Applied: applied to UW's school of public health to get my MPH, also applied to their GCPD to complete the required courses and 1200 hrs of supervised practice to become an RD.
Accepted: waiting to hear back! I had a phone interview on 1/10.
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Undergrad School: Western Washington University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2 (but 4.0 for entire post-bach, 13 classes! I avoided science like crazy in my undergrad, turns out I love science. Who knew.)
Major/Minor: Major: Political Science, Minor: Environmental Studies
GradGPA: N/A
Grad Studies: (hopefully) MPH + graduate coordinated program in dietetics
GRE: 157V/152Q/4.5W (only took it once, strongly considered retaking for better scores... not sure how this compares to others who applied)
Experience/Research:
- 8 months interning at Peacehealth Nutrition & Diabetes Clinic, Bellingham, WA
- completed UW's one year continued education Certificate in Food, Nutrition & Health
- volunteer for Whatcom Farm-to- School, Bellingham, WA
- volunteer for the Bellingham Community Meal Program, Bellingham, WA
- personal experience - but no one needs to hear that 🙂
Interested in: community nutrition, food and nutrition policy, sustainable food systems. Want to complete a coordinated program to become an RD.
Applied: applied to UW's school of public health to get my MPH, also applied to their GCPD to complete the required courses and 1200 hrs of supervised practice to become an RD.
Accepted: waiting to hear back! I had a phone interview on 1/10.
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!!! Join us on the Hopkins thread 🙂Just got into JHSPH!!!
acceptance via personal microsite
the decisions pages haven't changed in over ten weeks so it actually took me a while to comprehend what I was seeing
Hi all, congrats on all the acceptances thus far!
I attended the SOPHAS virtual fair today, chatting with most of my programs. I came back with a few things, mostly concerning $$, from some of the top programs. Sorry if this is already common knowledge but here goes!
Columbia: Merit Scholarships are given based on high GPA/GRE 3.6+ AND 80-90% percentile on all sections. Admissions: accepted averages given today differ slightly from what's currently available on the Mailman site: Verbal: 158 Quantitative: 152 Writing: 4.8 Overall GPA 3.4
Emory: Merit $ is based on several factors including work exp., research, GPA. Also, there's about 300 REAL Scholars at any given time!
Yale: Merit $ is similar to the two above, however the cut offs are more generous! GRE: 50%+ and GPA: 3.0+ . They stressed that getting the fin-aid form in by March 1 is crucial!
I attended the SOPHAS virtual fair today, chatting with most of my programs. I came back with a few things, mostly concerning $$, from some of the top programs. Sorry if this is already common knowledge but here goes!
Columbia: Merit Scholarships are given based on high GPA/GRE 3.6+ AND 80-90% percentile on all sections. Admissions: accepted averages given today differ slightly from what's currently available on the Mailman site: Verbal: 158 Quantitative: 152 Writing: 4.8 Overall GPA 3.4
Emory: Merit $ is based on several factors including work exp., research, GPA. Also, there's about 300 REAL Scholars at any given time!
Yale: Merit $ is similar to the two above, however the cut offs are more generous! GRE: 50%+ and GPA: 3.0+ . They stressed that getting the fin-aid form in by March 1 is crucial!
Last edited:
Hi all, congrats on all the acceptances thus far!
I attended the SOPHAS virtual fair today, chatting with most of my programs. I came back with a few things, mostly concerning $$, from some of the top programs. Sorry if this is already common knowledge but here goes!
Columbia: Merit Scholarships are given based on high GPA/GRE 3.6+ , 80-90% percentile on all sections respectively. Admissions: accepted averages given today differ slightly from what's currently available on the Mailman site: Verbal: 158 Quantitative: 152 Writing: 4.8 Overall GPA 3.4
Emory: Merit $ is based on several factors including work exp., research, GPA. Also, there's about 300 REAL Scholars at any given time!
Yale: Merit $ is similar to the two above, however the cut offs are more generous! GRE: 50%+ and GPA: 3.0+ . They stressed that getting the fin-aid form in by March 1 is crucial!
For Columbia, must you meet both of the requirements or are there some scholarships for > 3.6 GPA only and 80-90% percentile GRE only?
For Columbia, must you meet both of the requirements or are there some scholarships for > 3.6 GPA only and 80-90% percentile GRE only?
Yes! The advisor said GPA AND GRE! I'll edit to make that clear
For Columbia, must you meet both of the requirements or are there some scholarships for > 3.6 GPA only and 80-90% percentile GRE only?
Unfortunately, yes. I miss out on the GPA part, but qualify for the GRE scores. Their financial aid department seems to be willing to work with students, so if accepted, I plan on talking to them to see if I can get anything based on my GRE scores.
Stats? Major? Experience?Accepted into Emory's MPH for applied public health informatics!
FYI - not updated in OPUS, I received an email directly from them.
Anyone hear from Brown/know when they start to send out decisions?
Last year they didn't start releasing decisions until March 2nd, and then people were receiving them through March and early April! Here's to hoping it's much earlier this year, best of luck 🙂
Anyone get any BU acceptances lately? Or NYU? Timelines if so 🙂
I emailed NYU because I applied for the Cross-Continental and haven't heard back yet, and they said that the extended deadline (for that program at least) is going to delay decisions being released. They said they will probably be contacting students in late Feb or March, but it could be sooner.

I emailed NYU because I applied for the Cross-Continental and haven't heard back yet, and they said that the extended deadline (for that program at least) is going to delay decisions being released. They said they will probably be contacting students in late Feb or March, but it could be sooner.![]()
Thats interesting, they said in an email that "We expect to be releasing the bulk of our admissions decisions throughout the remainder of January and February. " Okay! Hopefully you get to hear some good news
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much!! Good luck to you too! 🙂Last year they didn't start releasing decisions until March 2nd, and then people were receiving them through March and early April! Here's to hoping it's much earlier this year, best of luck 🙂
This forum has been a lifesaver, I am so thankful to everyone who has posted their stats in the past. I hope sharing mine will be useful to others just as they have been useful to me!
Undergrad School: University of Pittsburgh
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.23 calculated by SOPHAS but 3.35 at Pitt. Had a terribly rough first year, but I managed a 4.0 my last two semesters.
Major/Minor: Anthropology and History & Philosophy of Science
GRE: 156V (72%) 154Q (55%) 4.5A (82%) – Taken March 2016
Experience/Research:
- 6 years as a pharmacy technician (current)
- AmeriCorps member working as a health access advocate at a community health non-profit (current)
- Volunteer at a syringe exchange/health outreach project once a week (current)
- Intern at Global Brigades Global Health and Sustainability Institute in Nicaragua (3 weeks)
- Intern and Project Leader through Nourish International at a health based non-profit in Guatemala (2 months)
- Sorority/Recruitment Committee for 7/8 semesters
- Pitt Chapter of Nourish International/Project Committee: Project Design for 2015 Chapter Project in Guatemala
LOR: Executive Director of NGO, Professor, Pharmacy Manager
Interested in: Social & Behavioral Health, Community Health, Community Assessment/Program Design, Health Promotion
Applied: George Washington (12/19), Boston University (12/21), University of Pittsburgh (12/26), Yale (1/6), Columbia (12/1)
Accepted: GW (12/28), Pitt (1/4), BU (1/19) w/ Merit of 12k, Columbia (2/8)
Rejected: None!
Waitlisted: Yale (2/2)
**My application was submitted to SOPHAS on 11/30 for every school. My application was verified by SOPHAS on 12/15. The dates listed next to the schools in the applied section are the dates that I received the notice that my application was complete from each school.
Undergrad School: University of Pittsburgh
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.23 calculated by SOPHAS but 3.35 at Pitt. Had a terribly rough first year, but I managed a 4.0 my last two semesters.
Major/Minor: Anthropology and History & Philosophy of Science
GRE: 156V (72%) 154Q (55%) 4.5A (82%) – Taken March 2016
Experience/Research:
- 6 years as a pharmacy technician (current)
- AmeriCorps member working as a health access advocate at a community health non-profit (current)
- Volunteer at a syringe exchange/health outreach project once a week (current)
- Intern at Global Brigades Global Health and Sustainability Institute in Nicaragua (3 weeks)
- Intern and Project Leader through Nourish International at a health based non-profit in Guatemala (2 months)
- Sorority/Recruitment Committee for 7/8 semesters
- Pitt Chapter of Nourish International/Project Committee: Project Design for 2015 Chapter Project in Guatemala
LOR: Executive Director of NGO, Professor, Pharmacy Manager
Interested in: Social & Behavioral Health, Community Health, Community Assessment/Program Design, Health Promotion
Applied: George Washington (12/19), Boston University (12/21), University of Pittsburgh (12/26), Yale (1/6), Columbia (12/1)
Accepted: GW (12/28), Pitt (1/4), BU (1/19) w/ Merit of 12k, Columbia (2/8)
Rejected: None!
Waitlisted: Yale (2/2)
**My application was submitted to SOPHAS on 11/30 for every school. My application was verified by SOPHAS on 12/15. The dates listed next to the schools in the applied section are the dates that I received the notice that my application was complete from each school.
Last edited:
I got my acceptance from BU late this afternoon! Initial confirmation email on 12/19, notification that my application was complete on 12/21, and acceptance today (1/19) 🙂Anyone get any BU acceptances lately? Or NYU? Timelines if so 🙂
Stats? Major? Experience?
Undergrad School: University of Florida
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2
Major/Minor: Human Nutrition
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.68
Grad Studies (if applicable): PharmD
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): waived due to doctoral degree
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- Two years of post-graduate residency training. First year in pharmacy practice and second year in pharmacy informatics
- Currently employed at a large academic medical center as an informatics pharmacist x 1.5 years. I am leading the implementation (multi-hospital, multi-state) of antimicrobial stewardship, infection control, related clinical decision support, and various medication-related build as we transition into Epic.
Special factors
Interested in: public health informatics, infectious disease epidemiology, infectious disease informatics
Applied: Hopkins (part time/online mph), UNC (leadership track part time/online), Emory (EMPH in public health informatics)
Accepted: UNC (12/3), Emory (11/18)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
I JUST GOT INTO YALE <3!!!!! I'm going for the MPH in Microbial Diseases Epidemiology.
Congrats! When did you submit for Yale?
Just got into JHSPH!!!
acceptance via personal microsite
the decisions pages haven't changed in over ten weeks so it actually took me a while to comprehend what I was seeing
What was the timeline for you? I got accepted to Yale today!!! Still waiting to hear back from JHSPH and a couple of others!
After lurking on this for a while and hearing back from a few schools, I've decided to finally post my stats/info to help future applicants/offer up timelines that may be useful, so here goes! Thanks to everyone who's posted in the past, it's been incredibly helpful.
Undergrad School: Small Liberal Arts College in D.C
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.75/3.94
Major/Minor: Public Health/Education studies
GRE 12/5 V: 160 Q:155 AW:4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
Two years working with an Americorps Program
Four months of public health research at a top 10 university.
Special factors ???
Interested in: Maternal and Child Health, Population, Family, Reproductive Health, Global Health.
Applied: Hopkins (MSPH Population, Family, Reproductive Health), Tulane (MPH in MCH), Boston (MPH in MCH) , Emory (MPH Global Health), Columbia (MPH Epidemiology), Michigan (MPH Global Epidemiology).
Accepted: Tulane (12/13) Johns Hopkins w/ merit (1/18) Boston w/ merit (1/19) Columbia (2/8) Michigan (2/9) Emory (2/14)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending: Johns Hopkins w/ merit!
Undergrad School: Small Liberal Arts College in D.C
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.75/3.94
Major/Minor: Public Health/Education studies
GRE 12/5 V: 160 Q:155 AW:4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
Two years working with an Americorps Program
Four months of public health research at a top 10 university.
Special factors ???
Interested in: Maternal and Child Health, Population, Family, Reproductive Health, Global Health.
Applied: Hopkins (MSPH Population, Family, Reproductive Health), Tulane (MPH in MCH), Boston (MPH in MCH) , Emory (MPH Global Health), Columbia (MPH Epidemiology), Michigan (MPH Global Epidemiology).
Accepted: Tulane (12/13) Johns Hopkins w/ merit (1/18) Boston w/ merit (1/19) Columbia (2/8) Michigan (2/9) Emory (2/14)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending: Johns Hopkins w/ merit!
Last edited:
What was the timeline for you? I got accepted to Yale today!!! Still waiting to hear back from JHSPH and a couple of others!
Congratulations!
timeline for JHSPH: submitted 10/30 ; complete and microsite email 11/2
for Yale: submitted 10/30 ; complete email 11/16
MS Epidemiology 🙂Congrats on the acceptances! Can I ask which department for UCLA?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Pretty sad after the inaguration
Hope some people hear some good news today!
Finally got the green light from BU! I submitted via SOPHAS on 10/30 but they were waiting for me to submit my app for the joint degree program I'm applying to.
Question: Where did people get information about financial aid packages? Am I supposed to wait for an email, or do I need to fill up some form/log into a portal, etc? Thanks!
Question: Where did people get information about financial aid packages? Am I supposed to wait for an email, or do I need to fill up some form/log into a portal, etc? Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone applied to Mich for epi? My app was marked complete 12/19 and not really sure when to expect a decision....
I applied to Hospital & Molecular Epi as well as General Epi. I was accepted to HME in November, but there's been no word on General Epi. For reference, I submitted both on 10/12. I've seen a few other HME acceptances on here but I don't think I've seen any for General.
I applied for Michigan Epi too, still haven't heard anything either. good to know I'm not the only one, hope you hear back soon!Has anyone applied to Mich for epi? My app was marked complete 12/19 and not really sure when to expect a decision....
I applied late in the game but I just got my first acceptance! Temple University - hopefully more to come 😀
Congrats! I'm curious - what made you decide to apply to Temple? I'm considering adding their JD/MPH program to the long list of programs I am applying to.
Hey guys, first post on this thread, woot! I was just contacted to schedule a phone interview for Columbia HPM, and was curious - did you guys get the following email from the department in addition to the one from your student interviewer?
I just thought it was odd, implying that they're done reviewing my application. Wonder what that means for decisions?
Thank you for your application to the Department of Health Policy & Management (HPM) at Columbia University. We enjoyed reviewing your application and look forward to assembling a dynamic cohort of students this coming year...
I just thought it was odd, implying that they're done reviewing my application. Wonder what that means for decisions?
Hey guys, first post on this thread, woot! I was just contacted to schedule a phone interview for Columbia HPM, and was curious - did you guys get the following email from the department in addition to the one from your student interviewer?
I just thought it was odd, implying that they're done reviewing my application. Wonder what that means for decisions?
Yes, I received that email a month ago before my interview. I think it could have been a preliminary review just to get a grasp of who we are.
I just got accepted to John Hopkins University for their full time MPH!
I just got accepted to John Hopkins University for their full time MPH!
Which program did you apply yo?
D
deleted799339
Anyone know roughly when to expect decisions for Hopkin's MHS?
Anyone know roughly when to expect decisions for Hopkin's MHS?
The Molecular/Immunology one?
D
deleted799339
No just the MHS in epi. I've heard of people applying for other degrees hearing back from JHU, but haven't seen much for MHS, and im just curious about the timelineThe Molecular/Immunology one?
What are people's opinions on applying to schools this late in the game? I only applied to 2 because I only applied to ones I could afford even if I didn't get any funding (I was really clueless about the funding process and the fact that getting significant funding is actually common).
So if I haven't heard back from either of my 2 at this point, is it worth applying to 2 more (namely, Pitt and IU Bloomington) or do you guys think that all the funding has already been used on other applicants?
So if I haven't heard back from either of my 2 at this point, is it worth applying to 2 more (namely, Pitt and IU Bloomington) or do you guys think that all the funding has already been used on other applicants?
I know two of you have gotten Dartmouth interviews (@DecisionTime2017 and @jl_murray ), but do y'all know if basically everyone being considered for admission gets them? No one seems to be talking about them, even though for those of us who applied by the priority deadling, we're on the cusp of getting our decisions (Feb 1 according to the site). Wonder if its too late in the game to expect any more to be sent out.
I know two of you have gotten Dartmouth interviews (@DecisionTime2017 and @jl_murray ), but do y'all know if basically everyone being considered for admission gets them? No one seems to be talking about them, even though for those of us who applied by the priority deadling, we're on the cusp of getting our decisions (Feb 1 according to the site). Wonder if its too late in the game to expect any more to be sent out.
I honestly have no idea what they're doing. For what its worth, my interviewer told me that it was being done blind, so she clearly hadn't been asked to investigate more about something specific.
No just the MHS in epi. I've heard of people applying for other degrees hearing back from JHU, but haven't seen much for MHS, and im just curious about the timeline
Ah okay. I got into MHS but not for epi. That decision came to me within a month of applying.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@DecisionTime2017 Blind interviews, interesting lol. I emailed them and they said they invite candidates to interview if they're considering them for admission or if they'd like more information; I don't know how generic that response is, but I'm guessing the blind interview might be a way to confirm/reject their idea of a candidate? Either way, not looking very good for me XD. Surprised though at how little-discussed this program is
@DecisionTime2017 Blind interviews, interesting lol. I emailed them and they said they invite candidates to interview if they're considering them for admission or if they'd like more information; I don't know how generic that response is, but I'm guessing the blind interview might be a way to confirm/reject their idea of a candidate? Either way, not looking very good for me XD. Surprised though at how little-discussed this program is
Agreed. It's a one year MPH from a well known school. Strange that it doesn't come up more often.
Are the Michigan HPM interviews the same? As in, do they interview everyone who applies as well?
Also, this might be a silly question, but for anyone who has done the Skype interview, are they video or audio? Because if it's the former, I need to get a haircut!
Also, this might be a silly question, but for anyone who has done the Skype interview, are they video or audio? Because if it's the former, I need to get a haircut!
Last edited:
How long did BU take to make the decision? BU's one of my top choices and I'm super anxious to hear back from them.Accepted into BU today - the turnaround for the application was a lot faster than I thought it would be. I'm not too sure when/ how they send out their financial aid stuff, there wasn't any mention of it in the acceptance email.
How long did BU take to make the decision? BU's one of my top choices and I'm super anxious to hear back from them.
I submitted in the last few days of December, probably just before christmas, and I received the application is complete email on the 7th of January. I received my acceptance yesterday, so that would be the 21st of Jan. I don't know if it makes a difference ( likely not) but I was verified within a couple of days of submitting my application.
Good Luck 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 40
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 9K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 7K