MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if schools are open tomorrow :boom:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my financial aid package from Michigan... only got a work-study worth $3k for a year, and then then the other $33k for the year are all loans... ouch.

Did you put your deposit down for UMich, or did they just send you financial aid information? I haven't done anything as far as committing to one school but I'd like to know financial aid information before I do!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I have a broad general question. I was wondering what everyones opinion of UCBerkeley's MPH program was. I recently got accepted into their Global Health program, and I am surprised to see that not many people here have even applied to UCB. Is it a west coast thing (lol)? Or is there something I am missing? I would really appreciate any insight you guys have. Thanks!

My reasons are similar to what werunthis said. But the main reason why I did not apply to Cal was that I wasn't able to find a professor that had similar research interests as me, and I felt the program wasn't geared for my needs. I'm sure you know that Cal is an exceptional school, and their school of public health should be no different. If given the opportunity to attend Cal, I would accept it in a heart beat. And congrats on your acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you put your deposit down for UMich, or did they just send you financial aid information? I haven't done anything as far as committing to one school but I'd like to know financial aid information before I do!
I'm not committing to anywhere until I hear back from my last 3 schools (Columbia, Hopkins, and Emory), and hear more about financial aid packages. I basically just got an email telling me that my package was available to view through my Friend account. I'm a little disappointed in the offer, so hopefully I'll have better luck with Yale, or with Columbia/Hopkins if I get in to either of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not committing to anywhere until I hear back from my last 3 schools (Columbia, Hopkins, and Emory), and hear more about financial aid packages. I basically just got an email telling me that my package was available to view through my Friend account. I'm a little disappointed in the offer, so hopefully I'll have better luck with Yale, or with Columbia/Hopkins if I get in to either of those.
I was initially disappointed with the financial aid package that Columbia offered me last year, but I sent them an email explaining my personal finances and they gave me an additional need-based scholarship. If that's a big deciding factor for you, give the school a call and see if you can appeal for more money. That's what I did with Columbia and they walked me through exactly what I needed to do to be considered for more aid. It helps to use any financial aid offered by another school as a negotiation tool.

Congrats on your acceptances thus far!

I was initially disappointed with the financial aid package that Columbia offered me last year, but I sent them an email explaining my personal finances and they gave me an additional need-based scholarship. If that's a big deciding factor for you, give the school a call and see if you can appeal for more money. That's what I did with Columbia and they walked me through exactly what I needed to do to be considered for more aid. It helps to use any financial aid offered by another school as a negotiation tool.

Congrats on your acceptances thus far!
Thank you! To be honest, Michigan is a great school, but not the best fit for me, so I don't plan to ask for a better financial aid offer. But I'll keep your advice in mind for when I hear about aid from my top choices!

1. They require two personal statements
2. They have the second lowest acceptance rate, almost tied with Yale (< 23%)
3. They emphasize professional full-time work experience.
4. There have been rumors of funding cuts towards their PH program.

Those are all the reasons I can think of. They do have a terrific PH program though, and It'd be tough to turn them down if admitted. They also hold the title of 'best public school in the world.'

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Just out of curiosity, where are you getting these stats from? Especially point #2

Could anyone give feedback on what the University of Michigan and/or Columbia interview entails? I've applied to their HPM programs. Thanks!

My Michigan interview was pretty straightforward. What are your goals, why Michigan, and what questions do you have for me? There was also a question about some of the non-public health work on my CV but it was brief and seemed more about the interviewer's curiosity. I heeded the advice I found (either here or elsewhere) and tried to convey confidence and enthusiasm and I think I was successful at that.

Undergrad School: Large Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.97/4.0 (SOPHAS 3.88)
Major/Minor: Psychology and Studio Art double major (this won't help me lol)
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE : V 162, Q 145 (oy :(. GRE math scares the crap out of me, with that little clock in the right hand corner...tick..tick AHHH)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
-1 year honor's research (honor's thesis relevant to public health and health psych), was offered a grant to fund the research
-2 years volunteer research assistant in health-psych clinical lab. (leadership role within the lab)
-I have presented poster presentations at two University/honor's conferences, and two national conferences
-4 month internship as an apprentice writer and editorial assistant for a psych journal
- About eight published book reviewed in two Psych academic journals (mostly on books related to the field of psychology)

Special factors???
-Dean's list all semesters
-Several academic awards
-graduated Summa cum laude from primary University
-LORs from Public health professor, PI in clinical lab (health psych/neurology professor), and research mentor (psych professor)

-additionally, one of my stats teachers wrote on my behalf. (hopefully this can help for low quant score??)

Interested in: Community health, social determinants of health, health disparities, social justice (Applying to Social and Behavioral Sciences departments)
Applied: Columbia (1/06), NYU (1/15), Yale (1/15), CUNY(will apply), Rutgers(will apply), Stony Brook (will apply)
Accepted: haven't heard back from anyone yet
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm so so worried about my quant score. I know it's absolutely awful, so I was sent in an addendum describing my experience with SPSS and good grades in stats coursework (As). Hopefully that will help! I know the Social and Behavioral Sciences programs don't usually disqualify based on quant scores, when there's stats or calculus coursework but i'm still worried...AHHH

Good luck to everyone! I wish you all the best <3

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Yale about there acceptance rate (23%) for 2016, and Berkley's was somewhere around mid twenties (26 ?) 3 years ago, check the excel doc.

Berkeley has representatives talking about their program at graduate school fairs, many of them posed online, where they address the "rumors" of funding being cut, and their appreciation for full time work experience...

Undergrad School: Large Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.97/4.0 (SOPHAS 3.88)
Major/Minor: Psychology and Studio Art double major (this won't help me lol)
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE : V 162, Q 145 (oy :(. GRE math scares the crap out of me, with that little clock in the right hand corner...tick..tick AHHH)
Experience/Research
(please, be brief):
-1 year honor's research (honor's thesis relevant to public health and health psych), was offered a grant to fund the research
-2 years volunteer research assistant in health-psych clinical lab. (leadership role within the lab)
-I have presented poster presentations at two University/honor's conferences, and two national conferences
-4 month internship as an apprentice writer and editorial assistant for a psych journal
- About eight published book reviewed in two Psych academic journals (mostly on books related to the field of psychology)

Special factors???
-Dean's list all semesters
-Several academic awards
-graduated Summa cum laude from primary University
-LORs from Public health professor, PI in clinical lab (health psych/neurology professor), and research mentor (psych professor)

-additionally, one of my stats teachers wrote on my behalf. (hopefully this can help for low quant score??)

Interested in: Community health, social determinants of health, health disparities, social justice (Applying to Social and Behavioral Sciences departments)
Applied: Columbia (1/06), NYU (1/15), Yale (1/15), CUNY(will apply), Rutgers(will apply), Stony Brook (will apply)
Accepted: haven't heard back from anyone yet
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm so so worried about my quant score. I know it's absolutely awful, so I was sent in an addendum describing my experience with SPSS and good grades in stats coursework (As). Hopefully that will help! I know the Social and Behavioral Sciences programs don't usually disqualify based on quant scores, when there's stats or calculus coursework but i'm still worried...AHHH

Good luck to everyone! I wish you all the best <3

Your stats are crazy impressive, especially your GPA and double major! Your verbal score was so good I would not worry about your quantitative score at all, but if any school questioned it they would instantly look at your letter of rec from your stats professor and see this is not a weak spot for you. I think you have a lot of acceptances coming soon, good luck! :)

It's an excel doc, but it's the first result from googling "ASPPH new enrollment data report 2013"

Thanks! Weird...I tried so many similar search strings -looks like I had to be pretty precise to get it.

Interesting stuff!

I didn't expect some of the public universities to have such low admit rates (well besides Berkley-I expected that.) Some of the others state schools have lower admit rates than Yale, Harvard, etc. I suspect it may be a desire for in-state tuition from many applicants :) Also, some, like UMD appear to have a tiny class size - about one hundred enrollments out of an applicant pool of 800. That may have something to do with it.

Anyway, don't mind me...just tempting to think what goes on inside the brains of these admission committees :p

Highly anticipating Emory offers this week or at least the "your application is in review" emails! By the looks of the 2016 & 2015 threads, offers were sitting in OPUS around this time.

Anyone from Michigan health behavior health education receive a deans scholarship?

Question for people who have already been accepted/heard back from Michigan MPH--once your application was marked complete, did you receive any other contact from the school before you heard your decision? Mine has been marked as complete for three weeks, but haven't heard anything :/

anyone having trouble with ETS? Two of my scores that I sent are simply not arriving at two of the schools. It seems like there was an issue on their end with my order, and I've tried to contact ETS but to no avail!

anyone having trouble with ETS? Two of my scores that I sent are simply not arriving at two of the schools. It seems like there was an issue on their end with my order, and I've tried to contact ETS but to no avail!

The only thing I can think of is if you sent it to a different department in the school than the one they specify for public health? I almost did that for one of my schools, then double checked the ETS code that the public health department used for scores. So sorry this happened, hope it can be fixed soon!!

Applied to GWU 12/15, accepted 1/17/17 to the MPH in Health Policy!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone checked the my.harvard page today? My admissions decision letter section says:
  • Error executing pagelet.
    Detailed error description:

An error occurred during the use of the query "HU_MYCHAN_ADMIT_LETTER".

Does everyone's say this?

Has anyone checked the my.harvard page today? My admissions decision letter section says:
  • Error executing pagelet.
    Detailed error description:

An error occurred during the use of the query "HU_MYCHAN_ADMIT_LETTER".

Does everyone's say this?
Mine says this too. I've seen a few glitches on the website since we received access.

Question for people who have already been accepted/heard back from Michigan MPH--once your application was marked complete, did you receive any other contact from the school before you heard your decision? Mine has been marked as complete for three weeks, but haven't heard anything :/

I got an email that my application has been received and the steps to set up my Wolverine Access account. This was about 2 weeks after I submitted my applications through SOPHAS. About 2 weeks after I received that email I got another email with my admissions decision. Hope that helps!

Has anyone received an email from Emory that their application is under review?

Mine says this too. I've seen a few glitches on the website since we received access.

I don't think we'll see any meaningful information on this page for at least another month. Am I wrong?

I don't think we'll see any meaningful information on this page for at least another month. Am I wrong?

I think you are right. I just figured if someone had something else on there (e.g. "HU_MYCHAN_WTLIST_LETTER") then maybe it might mean they coded people as accepted already... just a hunch...can you tell I'm bored at work? :p

I think you are right. I just figured if someone had something else on there (e.g. "HU_MYCHAN_WTLIST_LETTER") then maybe it might mean they coded people as accepted already... just a hunch...can you tell I'm bored at work? :p

Haha, I hear ya. Applying to these programs is a great way to make time slow down.

When I was checking my OPUS portal for Emory, I noticed that it had "Financial Aid" in red under the To-Do tab. Does anyone know if we have to fill out FAFSA before they will release a decision on admission?

When I was checking my OPUS portal for Emory, I noticed that it had "Financial Aid" in red under the To-Do tab. Does anyone know if we have to fill out FAFSA before they will release a decision on admission?

From reading what people posted last year, no you do not! You just need to complete it before their deadline for financial aid (I feel like March 1st but I could be wrong)?

I missed the JH International Health priority deadline. I can submit today, but do you have an opinion on how much this will hurt my chances?

I missed the JH International Health priority deadline. I can submit today, but do you have an opinion on how much this will hurt my chances?

Perhaps email the admissions office. Same happened for me with one school, but I asked admissions about it and all it meant was that I wouldn't get an admissions decision super quickly. They said it wouldn't affect my chances for admission.

Perhaps email the admissions office. Same happened for me with one school, but I asked admissions about it and all it meant was that I wouldn't get an admissions decision super quickly. They said it wouldn't affect my chances for admission.

I will do that, thanks!

Has anyone had an informal phone interview with Columbia and have any details on how it was?

Just got into Minnesota!!

Reactions: 11 users
Congratulations everyone on the acceptances!! Hopefully we'll all continue to hear back from some programs this week!

Reactions: 8 users
Since I've been stalking this thread for awhile, thought it was time to contribute.

Undergrad School: Public Ivy School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5
Major/Minor: Double Major in Public Health and Environmental Policy
GradGPA: N/A
Grad Studies: N/A
GRE: Took it twice but best scores were 157V/153Q/4W
Experience/Research:
  • 2+ years working at an international non-profit that integrates medical care and rain forest conservation in Indonesia, including travel to the site
  • Currently volunteering at several local organizations focused on issues like empowering women and reducing food waste
  • Independent project to make my college campus more bike-friendly
  • 3 summer internships at public health consulting agencies
  • 1 summer internship at international environmental non-profit
  • Service trip to a village in Kenya for children orphaned by AIDS
  • Service trip to an HIV/AIDS clinic
  • Founder of a club in college that raises money for clean water projects
LOR: 2 from professors; 1 from my current boss, 1 from founder of the non-profit I work for

Interested in:
Environmental Health, Planetary Health, Population, Health, and Environment (PHE), Social Justice, Health Disparities, Integrating public health and conservation
Applied: GWU (MPH Global Environmental Health), Yale (MPH Environmental Health Sciences), Harvard (MPH in Sustainability, Health, and the Global Environment), Johns Hopkins (MPH), Emory (Global Environmental Health)
Accepted: GWU, Johns Hopkins, Emory, Harvard
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'm not interested in risk assessment/occupational health, so it limited me when looking at environmental health programs, but it seems like a lot of schools are moving in the direction of my interests (ie. Harvard MPH program that I applied to is brand new), which is a relief. I have no idea what my chances are for getting into these programs (esp. with mediocre GRE scores), but if anyone has thoughts/advice on EH programs, let me know! Definitely having a hard time weighing my options because all have such unique things to offer such as GWU/JHU proximity to NGO's in DC, opportunity to take classes at the Yale School of Forestry, the benefit of an Ivy League name when it comes to applying to jobs, etc.

Good luck, everyone! Glad I'm not the only one who has been checking my email like a madwoman.

Last edited:
Was just accepted to GWU's MPH Health Policy program! It seems like a big day for acceptances!

Undergrad School:
Private liberal arts university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: Undergrad: 3.89, Major: 4.0, Graduate: 3.98, SOPHAS: 3.91
Major/Minor: B.A. Public Health Studies, Minor in Leadership Studies
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.98
Grad Studies (if applicable): M.A. Sociology (Concentration in Nonprofit Admin)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Waived
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Undergrad public health research assistant and teaching assistant; undergrad leadership fellow; founded and led undergrad public health student organization; Public Health Senior of the Year; graduated undergrad magna cum laude; graduated grad school with high honors; worked in emergency management/planning through grad school; have been working the last 2 years as a mental health program manager in a public health organization; 2 years experience as a crisis intervention trainer

Interested in: Health Policy - specifically as it pertains to emergency preparedness and response
Applied: GWU (Complete notification 12/27/16)
Accepted: GWU (1/17/17)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone had an informal phone interview with Columbia and have any details on how it was?

I had one a week or two ago. It wasn't a big deal. It was actually a student there, so you have the opportunity to ask some more probing questions about their experience. I got the impression that it was a general 'does this person pass a minimum of professionalism' kind of call. The young woman I spoke to was interviewing over a hundred applicants! I'd do your research, but don't sweat about it being a huge factor in their decision.

I keep refreshing my email and the various decisions websites to see if anything comes up. My coworker at this point is exasperated! Haha. I told her she'll be just like me when med school apps open :whistle:

(I'm still doing work, just checking any time there is some downtime.)

Does anyone know if all Columbia MPH admits are given an interview? I'm guessing this is the case. Just want to know whether I should worry since I have yet to be asked for an interview.

Does anyone know if all Columbia MPH admits are given an interview? I'm guessing this is the case. Just want to know whether I should worry since I have yet to be asked for an interview.

My understanding is they only interview HPM track people.

To those who applied to UCLA, have you gotten a message about completion or about a portal to check status? Thanks!

To those who applied to UCLA, have you gotten a message about completion or about a portal to check status? Thanks!

I received an email on 12/7 saying that my application is under committee review. I submitted my application on 10/12.