MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, is that I'd be able to back out and accept somewhere else still, I would just lose the $500 deposit.

True. FYI, sometimes schools will give you an extension on the deadline if you ask, especially if they really want you to attend. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got into Hopkins! I won't be getting any merit-based scholarships, but we are expected to hear back in the next week or so about Federal financial aid if you have completed the FAFSA already!

EDIT: I'm expected to hear back in the next week or so. Not sure if others have already heard back and don't want to speak for others!

Reactions: 7 users
To anyone considering UW:

I am at an international HIV/public health conference in Seattle right now (CROI), and there is a HUGE UW presence here. As big as Harvard and Hopkins. Don't let a fancy name sway your decisions too much, lots of PH schools are great. If I do a PHD in PH, I'll definitely be considering UW...

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I am at an international HIV/public health conference in Seattle right now (CROI), and there is a HUGE UW presence here. As big as Harvard and Hopkins. Don't let a fancy name sway your decisions too much, lots of PH schools are great. If I do a PHD in PH, I'll definitely be considering UW...

In fairness, you are in Seattle ;)

In fairness, you are in Seattle ;)

It is also depends on one's specific interests. For Epi and HIV/AIDS work UW should be high on anyone's list. Also, for Global Health - especially considering their relationship with the Gates Foundation. TONS of research opportunities.

Just got into Hopkins! I won't be getting any merit-based scholarships, but we are expected to hear back in the next week or so about Federal financial aid if you have completed the FAFSA already!

EDIT: I'm expected to hear back in the next week or so. Not sure if others have already heard back and don't want to speak for others!

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out you won't be getting any merit-based scholarships? Was it stated in your acceptance email?

Last edited:
Anyone hear anything from Brown? Some of their tuition assistantships look great and could be a deciding factor for me if I am offered one.

Anyone hear anything from Brown? Some of their tuition assistantships look great and could be a deciding factor for me if I am offered one.

There was one acceptance and one rejection on here that I saw. Looking at last year's thread, decisions were released during the first week of March.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an annoyingly specific question, but you guys are the best source of knowledge :D

I had a coworker, who just finished her MSW, tell me that she didn't get in-state residency status for her second year because she knew she wanted to do Peace Corps, so couldn't commit to staying in Pennsylvania. Apparently in PA they make you promise to stay for at least 2 years after graduating! I had never heard this before; I always kinda assumed that wherever I went, I'd be paying out-of-state first year, in-state second year.

Is PA weirdly strict, or is this commonplace? I know this seems like a small detail, but it affects total tuition estimates a LOT...

I just got my financial aid offer from Michigan - loans and federal work study. Does scholarship stuff come later or is that it? Because this would definitely put them off of my list, so I can decline and hopefully free up a spot for someone else!

I was in Michigan on Monday and met with Dr. Tim Dvonch in the EHS department at Michigan. We spoke for about an hour (he has super friendly) and he subtly mentioned that the student "evaluations" for scholarship awards were done last week. He said I should be getting an email in a few days (I guess this means I'm getting one?:nailbiting:). I don't know if this is true for other departments, but at least the money is coming!! :greedy:

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out you won't be getting any merit-based scholarships? Was it stated in your acceptance email?

Thank you! I called the number in my acceptance email to ask and they pulled up my profile to see if I was under consideration for any merit-based scholarships and they said no. I then called the financial aid office to confirm, but they told me they don't handle anything related to merit-based scholarships and that I would be hearing about Federal financial aid sometime next week.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! I called the number in my acceptance email to ask and they pulled up my profile to see if I was under consideration for any merit-based scholarships and they said no. I then called the financial aid office to confirm, but they told me they don't handle anything related to merit-based scholarships and that I would be hearing about Federal financial aid sometime next week.
Quick question - did you apply to MPH or MSPH?

*Edit - forgot to say congratulations!

I was accepted last week to BU's MPH in Epidemiology and Biostatistics, today I received my "formal acceptance letter" which also stated that I was the recipient of a 20k scholarship.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email from U Mich and will not be getting any financial aid. I wasn't seriously considering them, so it isn't a big deal. Just thought I would let you all know.

Thank you for this. I may call and check, but now I'm nervous I'll hear bad news...

Does anyone know if Emory has already distributed merit scholarships/if not, when they are expected to be distributed by? Trying to make decisions here and Emory's slowness is not helping.

If you get your packet from Fedex, its supposed to have financial aid timelines in it.

Just got an email from U Mich and will not be getting any financial aid. I wasn't seriously considering them, so it isn't a big deal. Just thought I would let you all know.

Same here, mostly loans. I'll be declining Michigan!

How did you find out? Did you get an email or did you log into the portal on your own?
Randomly logged into portal and there was a link to "view decision"

Now it comes down to visits and $$$

Accepted to Harvard, for Health Management (Full-Time). Email was sent out at 2:38 EST. Congrats to everyone else hearing back.

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted to Harvard (Full time) Epi . !!! Literally shaking when logging in to check portal
End of the wait~ decisions time...

Reactions: 11 users
Congrats to you guys!! I'm just sitting here refreshing the portal repeatedly... might not be the best strategy for my anxiety. :(

Also, question! If you get a merit scholarship for full tuition, are you still eligible for financial aid to cover other expenses?

I submitted my SOPHAS application today!!

Undergrad School: Top 5 liberal arts college, 2012 grad
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4, according to SOPHAS. My calculations come out to 3.5. Lower division is 3.15, upper is 3.64. I don't know my major GPA as my school took a somewhat alternative grading approach.
Major/Minor: Biology (General) / Educational Studies
GradGPA: 3.81 (I agree with SOPHAS on this.)
Grad Studies: earned Masters in Education through an alternative program at a large public university, 2013 grad
GRE: 168V (98th percentile), 155M (60th percentile), 5.5AW (98th percentile), taken May 2016
Experience/Research:
- in college: program coordinator for sexual assault prevention program, student-athlete with many leadership positions, several campus jobs
- completed 1 year AmeriCorps service teaching middle school science in an urban district
- taught middle & high school science for 3.5 school years, including 2 years designing and teaching a public health class to grades 10-12

LORS: 1 undergrad professor (my advisor, I did ~1 year Educational Studies research with her), 1 grad professor/student teaching supervisor, 1 professional acquaintance (a mentor I've known for ~4 years who is well-respected in the social work world and who helped me choose public health over social work)

Special factors
- openly queer and transgender; interested in LGBTQ health specifically

Interested in: I applied only to community and behavioral health programs, but I am also interested in epidemiology of infectious disease (HIV), sexual/reproductive health, and biostat as it applies to those fields. My ultimate goal is to work in a community health setting that seeks to improve the mental, physical, and sexual health of transgender youth.
Applied: Tufts, Harvard, Drexel, Buffalo, Pitt, Minnesota, Colorado on 9/22. SOPHAS verified my transcripts and application on 9/29. Brown on 10/18.
Accepted: Pitt (11/11), Buffalo (11/14), Minnesota (12/20), Tufts (1/11), Drexel (1/28, +34k fellowship), Colorado (2/3)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

In at Harvard HSB!! I'm kind of shocked that I got in!

I really stupidly missed the priority deadline for finaid/scholarships because I forgot there was a separate application. Sooooo I'm probably not attending because that would be a terrible financial decision, but it's really nice to have the option! Just waiting on Brown now.

Reactions: 8 users
In at Harvard HSB!! I'm kind of shocked that I got in!

I really stupidly missed the priority deadline for finaid/scholarships because I forgot there was a separate application. Sooooo I'm probably not attending because that would be a terrible financial decision, but it's really nice to have the option! Just waiting on Brown now.

What was the separate application?

What was your application timeline, if you don't mind me asking (i.e. applied, verified, and accepted dates)?

I was just contacted about a UPenn interview.

Can anyone please tell me what sort of questions they ask in the interview?

Dont stress it, its pretty much questions you have already addressed in you personal statement. They are very friendly and laid back. They told me I will have a decision by the close of tomorrow. Good luck !!!

Am still waiting on Brown too. My guess is everything will be unveiled either ending of this month or early march. So many people were rejected from their Phd program in Epi as they only have 4 slots. Check GradCafe to see all the rejections. Its scary but we can all be hopeful because they accept a lot of people for all their masters program. Phd is always competitive anyways.

What was your application timeline, if you don't mind me asking (i.e. applied, verified, and accepted dates)?

Applied (12/2), verified (12/2), and accepted (2/16). I submitted past the 12/1 deadline, so that's probably another reason that I won't be getting merit-based scholarships O_O

I got into Harvard - 65 Health Management program just now! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I'm probably not going to go, but this is still such an honor!

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations to everyone's acceptances today! Has anyone heard from Harvard's Health Policy program?

Ahh! A buddy I can be anxious with! A friend of a friend told me that they were rejected from the program early Feb. but I think/am hoping that those were hard rejections from not meeting the min. criteria... I haven't seem to have spotted any other updates from the program and I'm getting antsy because based on previous years it seems most applicants heard by this point T-T

I haven't checked earlier posts but I was accepted to Berkeley-HPM last Thursday. I've been getting several emails since then. Good luck!

Just heard from NYU Cross Continental! In with a $21k scholarship.

Reactions: 3 users
Just heard from NYU Cross Continental! In with a $21k scholarship.

Oh very cool! That's the one where you study in a different county every term right?? Sounds fascinating! :) Congrats!

Oh very cool! That's the one where you study in a different county every term right?? Sounds fascinating! :) Congrats!
Yup. Thanks :) Even with scholarship, it's still rather expensive unfortunately.

There was this MyFinaid application, which included grant and scholarship funding as well. Priority deadline was Feb 10.

For anyone applying to a non-standard program, this may not apply to you. I had been confused because I never got any Financial Aid e-mail, and nothing about a priority deadline. Turns out that this is because it doesn't apply to the JD/MPH program

I would just like to say that I am beyond frustrated by Emory. I don't even want to go there at this point, but they sent me an email saying my app was forwarded to BSHE 6 days ago, and then today they sent me the same exact email. I don't understand how such a great school has such poor communication with their possible students.

Reactions: 5 users