MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone tell me about financial aid (specifically, assistantships) at U Minnesota? I.e., how easy are they to get? What's the application process like? Do they automatically tell you you're eligible for one or do you have to contact professors on your own?

Hi! So I gather that it is a combination of both. They assign you a mentor in August and you are supposed to work with them to help set up opportunities. (Since they are assigned based on interest) I personally cannot wait that long and have been in contact with a professor since before I got in for a specific field of interest in which I would like to go into. They also have an online jobs page and a bulletin board within the School of Public Health that has those kinds of opportunities on there. I would take it upon yourself to look into faculty of interest and ask them if they are attending Accepted Students day so you have a chance to meet them in person and make a better impression than an email. Best of luck! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the semi-accepted, pending graduate division approval, to UCB's Epi/Biostats program :banana: and doing the banana dance. My timeline was similar to a couple people who received acceptances last week, so if you are still waiting, don't worry too much. It seems like they are rolling out decisions this and next week, similar to last year.

Reactions: 5 users
congrats! do you know if the scholarships are merit based? what's the criteria for giving finaid awards?
I believe it is merit-based. It says on the Admitted Students page that it is awarded to "selected students" but doesn't give much criteria about it beyond that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently accepted to Yale's SBS program and am actually going to visit, today, so I will post later about my experience. I don't know how useful it will be for you, since you're prospectively in a different department. I met with an alumna last night over beers to talk about her experience, and she had nothing, I mean *nothing* good to say about the SBS program and said she hated her time at the school. Some things she said she disliked about it: very quantitative methods heavy, which is pretty common, however this was to the point that qualitative research felt actively discouraged and laughed off; ugly and unpleasant facilities; "a complete lack of critical thinking" (ouch); felt like the school just exists to bring in money to fund the medical school; small size can be nice but also means fewer course offerings; low community engagement/investment; little funding for students' research; huge discrepancy between support/resources for undergrads versus public health grads (this person attended Yale undergrad).

I'm sad to hear all of this because I am (was?) excited about Yale, but given the sticker price, all of these things are super concerning to me. I am hoping my visit will give me some clarity. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Actually one of the pros for me at Yale was probably the focus they seem to have on quantitative research and additionally the smaller class sizes compared to Columbia as I have heard that connecting with other students and particularly faculty is difficult with the large class sizes. Yale actually offers a specific mph in microbial disease whereas Columbia offers a certificate. I am leaning towards Columbia for research interests and other factors but I worry that the Yale program seems to go more in depth (or at least they advertise that better). Please post about your visit to Yale! I am working overseas and I cannot physically visit any school prior to matriculation.

Yale admits (especially SBS):

Finally headed home after spending all day at Yale. Here are my takeaways, and feel free to ask specific questions (though I can't guarantee I'll be able to answer them):
- It's a small school, everyone knows each others, and the professors know all of the students
- The professors (at least, the three I observed teaching and interacted with) all seem to genuinely care for and support their students
- The public health school is one building, and virtually all classes are in that building. The building is sad and bare looking. A number of classes are in the basement.
- The majority of students I spoke with were very positive and enthusiastic about their experiences. A few were ambivalent, didn't really say one way or the other that Yale was the right choice for them.
- A number of students were not paying close attention, working on other projects, complaining about other work, during class time.
- I found both classes I sat in on, which are supposedly classes you are not allowed to take until second year in SBS, to be relatively foundational. Then again, I studied public health in undergrad so I may just have more exposure?
- It seems to me that qualitative research is robust and well supported.
- Students were generally friendly, warm, said that the atmosphere in the program and school is very collaborative and supportive.
- Students said that there was a lot of opportunity for community-oriented work and involvements. When I asked the admissions office representative I met with about this aspect of Yale's offerings, she essentially said "we have a day of service + extracurricular options," which I found disappointing.
- It seems really easy to get involved in research. I emailed a professor ~15 minutes before his research meeting asking if I could sit in and he was very welcoming.

Also useful, the school has a new dean (as in this is his 14th day on the job), who is apparently taking the school and its programs in some new directions. Current students expressed understanding that there would "be change" in the program, but didn't know to what effect. That's the main bit of it. I have various other takeaways, but they're mostly related to my personal interests.

Reactions: 8 users

Finally headed home after spending all day at Yale. Here are my takeaways, and feel free to ask specific questions (though I can't guarantee I'll be able to answer them):
- It's a small school, everyone knows each others, and the professors know all of the students
- The professors (at least, the three I observed teaching and interacted with) all seem to genuinely care for and support their students
- The public health school is one building, and virtually all classes are in that building. The building is sad and bare looking. A number of classes are in the basement.
- The majority of students I spoke with were very positive and enthusiastic about their experiences. A few were ambivalent, didn't really say one way or the other that Yale was the right choice for them.
- A number of students were not paying close attention, working on other projects, complaining about other work, during class time.
- I found both classes I sat in on, which are supposedly classes you are not allowed to take until second year in SBS, to be relatively foundational. Then again, I studied public health in undergrad so I may just have more exposure?
- Students were generally friendly, warm, said that the atmosphere in the program and school is very collaborative and supportive.
- Students said that there was a lot of opportunity for community-oriented work and involvements. When I asked the admissions office representative I met with about this aspect of Yale's offerings, she essentially said "we have a day of service + extracurricular options," which I found disappointing.
- It seems really easy to get involved in research. I emailed a professor ~15 minutes before his research meeting asking if I could sit in and he was very welcoming.

Also useful, the school has a new dean (as in this is his 14th day on the job), who is apparently taking the school and its programs in some new directions. Current students expressed understanding that there would "be change" in the program, but didn't know to what effect. That's the main bit of it. I have various other takeaways, but they're mostly related to my personal interests.

This was so helpful, thank you!! From your interactions with students, what vibe did you get when they talked about the "change"? Enthusiastic? Wary?

Did they happen to tell you when we'd hear about scholarships and aid? :p

Hm...not so great that students aren't paying attention in class-especially when they are small classes. I wonder if it is due to the content, or perhaps the fact that Yale does not have a traditional GPA or letter grade system? (Just Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail I think?)

Did you walk away feeling more excited by the prospect of attending, or has the visit bumped Yale down on your list?

This was so helpful, thank you!! From your interactions with students, what vibe did you get when they talked about the "change"? Enthusiastic? Wary?

Wary, but not quite in a negative way? Just "I'm not sure how these changes are going to affect you if you come here." And it sounds like the school regularly brings its students together to go over things like this and solicit their feedback. I got the impression that the students I spoke to felt it was weird that they weren't really informed about what the actual changes will be.

Did they happen to tell you when we'd hear about scholarships and aid? :p

Hm...not so great that students aren't paying attention in class- especially when they are small classes. I wonder if it is due to the content, or perhaps the fact that Yale does not have a traditional GPA or letter grade system? (Just Honors, High Pass, Pass, Fail I think?)

Did you walk away feeling more excited by the prospect of attending, or has the visit bumped Yale down on your list?

So, I didn't talk to anyone that much about aid, but only because I felt like the financial aid office had given me a clear answer when I asked them: merit and need based aid info should be released by 3/1.

It may be notable that the two classes I sat in on were required classes for SBS students, so perhaps some were tuned out because they had to be there but were not necessarily interested in the subject matter? For what it's worth, most people who were tuned out seemed to be worked on other things, not just scrolling facebook or whatever.

Yale was already ~3 on my list, and this visit hasn't bumped it up. I haven't decided yet whether it bumps it down. I did genuinely like all of the students I met, and the student body is wonderfully diverse. There were a lot of nice things, and a lot of meh things. I think it really just comes down to what program is the right fit for you. I think Yale is definitely the right fit for some people. Still unsure if it's for me.

To anyone considering UW:

I am at an international HIV/public health conference in Seattle right now (CROI), and there is a HUGE UW presence here. As big as Harvard and Hopkins. Don't let a fancy name sway your decisions too much, lots of PH schools are great. If I do a PHD in PH, I'll definitely be considering UW...

King County is the first in the nation to achieve the 90/90/90 goal set by WHO for HIV/AIDS reduction. The credit for this work goes to the Public Health- Seattle and King County department. Which is largely ran and made up by folks who went to UW.

https://publichealthinsider.com/201...lobal-milestone-in-the-fight-against-hivaids/

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't checked earlier posts but I was accepted to Berkeley-HPM last Thursday. I've been getting several emails since then. Good luck!

Two quick questions! Did they email the decision or did you randomly check the portal? I received the complete application and in review email, but status on the main page never changed, did you notice yours change to a 'in review' stage? Hoping to hear back soon!

Two quick questions! Did they email the decision or did you randomly check the portal? I received the complete application and in review email, but status on the main page never changed, did you notice yours change to a 'in review' stage? Hoping to hear back soon!
Hi! I didn't apply for HPM but I got into HSB for Berkeley. The portal always said submitted for me too, but I heard back from the HSB dept last Thursday saying I was recommended to the grad divison for admission. My portal still says submitted since I am still waiting to hear from the grad divison. Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Hi! The department emailed the decision last week. I checked my portal and it still says Submitted with not much information, since most of our app was done thru SOPHAS. Hope this helped!

I think someone mentioned Columbia would be sending out more financial information (scholarships and need based aid) by the end of this week. Hear is to hoping more good news comes all of our ways :)

I would just like to say that I am beyond frustrated by Emory. I don't even want to go there at this point, but they sent me an email saying my app was forwarded to BSHE 6 days ago, and then today they sent me the same exact email. I don't understand how such a great school has such poor communication with their possible students.

Emory is EXTREMELY frustrating. I posted an incomplete letter that they sent me a few days ago, I emailed them twice about it and no one ever responded, until last night when I got a new email about being waitlisted from one and rejected from another. They really don't handle things well. I don't even care if they accept me anymore....

Has anyone heard back from Yale, NYU, and Brown?? I am on the HPM track. I also haven't heard any words back from CUNY, Northeastern, Rutgers, and SDSU....

I think someone mentioned Columbia would be sending out more financial information (scholarships and need based aid) by the end of this week. Hear is to hoping more good news comes all of our ways :)

That's what they told me. No updates so far though.

Has anyone heard back from Yale, NYU, and Brown?? I am on the HPM track. I also haven't heard any words back from CUNY, Northeastern, Rutgers, and SDSU....

Waitlisted by Yale on Monday.

I'm still waiting on Brown. From what I heard, most decisions might come out late Feb or early March. I heard back from SDSU on 1/27. But I applied for the health behavior emphasis.

Rejected from Yale HPM yesterday. Good luck!

I am still waiting on NYU as well, though for a different track. I submitted early January

I'm still waiting to hear from Yale for EMD. I didn't apply to any of those other programs, so I can't help there! Yale is the only school that I applied to that I have not heard back from, so I am hoping to hear soon. Good luck!

Rejected from UNC - Sadness.

Still waiting on NYU!
:( sorry to hear that. For HB MPH? 12/1 deadline? Trying to get a sense of whether most updates at this points are rejections haha.
Best of luck with NYU!

Emory is EXTREMELY frustrating. I posted an incomplete letter that they sent me a few days ago, I emailed them twice about it and no one ever responded, until last night when I got a new email about being waitlisted from one and rejected from another. They really don't handle things well. I don't even care if they accept me anymore....

It's really turned me off the school. If this is how they treat the people they're trying to woo, I'm really concerned about what it's like to actually be enrolled there for 2 years. It's a lot of money to give to any school, and I want to make sure the school I choose to essentially invest in has it together. I'm still going to Admitted Students Day but I'm definitely wary.

I would just like to say that I am beyond frustrated by Emory. I don't even want to go there at this point, but they sent me an email saying my app was forwarded to BSHE 6 days ago, and then today they sent me the same exact email. I don't understand how such a great school has such poor communication with their possible students.
I did read somewhere that Emory receives more applications for MPH degrees than any other school. I know it's frustrating but it could be that they are just really bogged down. Hopefully good news comes your way soon!

:( sorry to hear that. For HB MPH? 12/1 deadline? Trying to get a sense of whether most updates at this points are rejections haha.
Best of luck with NYU!

Nah, it's fine - to be honest, at present it's a toss up between BU and Michigan for me. I know UNC is an excellent program, but I think as an international student, I probably would have gone for some other school. I applied for HPM - my application went out in late december/ early january.

Praying Michigan gives me *some* sort of dean's award.

For everyone that's been complaining about emory's communication, I totally feel you cause I'm in the same boat, but I think it's just this year that might be off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's really turned me off the school. If this is how they treat the people they're trying to woo, I'm really concerned about what it's like to actually be enrolled there for 2 years. It's a lot of money to give to any school, and I want to make sure the school I choose to essentially invest in has it together. I'm still going to Admitted Students Day but I'm definitely wary.

I hope that you have a wonderful experience because we all know they turn out some of the best and brightest. I am definitely more so about fit. I got really lucky with UMN. Top 10 and super nice people trying to help you.

Rejected from Yale HPM on Monday

So it seems like it's so far been a trickle of Harvard decisions in various departments. Is there anyone else who applied who has not yet heard back? Just attempting to assess how likely it is having not yet heard back = rejection. I realize this isn't really a true or reliable measure - just curious.

So it seems like it's so far been a trickle of Harvard decisions in various departments. Is there anyone else who applied who has not yet heard back? Just attempting to assess how likely it is having not yet heard back = rejection. I realize this isn't really a true or reliable measure - just curious.
I applied to Global Health SM2 and haven't heard anything yet. I applied on December 1.

I haven't heard back yet! A bunch of people last year didn't hear back until the beginning of March, and they were accepted. I applied HSB, November 1st (but SOPHAS verified Nov 4th). You?

Anyone have information on UIC's admitted students days/weekend?

In my acceptance email for the MS in Epi, it said "Be sure to set aside Friday, March 31 for our Admitted Student Preview Day."
I don't know if that was just for the MS in Epi program or what, I haven't heard anything about it since.

Side note: I don't think I realized how expensive UIC was until I was accepted and received my financial aid award letter notification, and if I'm understanding it correctly, I would have to take out nearly $100k in loans to attend--which is something I can't afford to do.

I haven't heard back yet! A bunch of people last year didn't hear back until the beginning of March, and they were accepted. I applied HSB, November 1st (but SOPHAS verified Nov 4th). You?

I applied to HSB. Am *trying* not to get my hopes up. When I applied, it really was like "might as well take a shot," but now that I've gotten into Columbia, Berkeley, and Yale, I'm like...well maybe I actually do have a shot. So, eagerly awaiting...

I applied to HSB. Am *trying* not to get my hopes up. When I applied, it really was like "might as well take a shot," but now that I've gotten into Columbia, Berkeley, and Yale, I'm like...well maybe I actually do have a shot. So, eagerly awaiting...

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't heard back from Harvard. I applied for HSB as well (submitted Nov 4 and verified Nov 9). I'm in the same boat as you--I applied on a whim, but started gaining confidence when I got into Columbia, UNC, Emory, and BU. Now I have a mini heart attack every time my phone notifies me of a new email.

We just have to remember that no answer is better than a no! Good luck to all of y'all! :)

Reactions: 1 users
In at Harvard for SM80 Epidemiology - Clinical Epidemiology (accepted yesterday)! :)

Reactions: 5 users
applied to global health track and have not heard back yet..

Hi! The department emailed the decision last week. I checked my portal and it still says Submitted with not much information, since most of our app was done thru SOPHAS. Hope this helped!

Congrats on your acceptance! Do you mind if I ask when you submitted your application and what your stats were? I knew going into it I might not get accepted because of my age so I want to be better prepared if I have to apply next year!

Could you tell me when you submitted? I got the complete application e-mail but have yet to receive one for in review, so I wonder if my submission date is related...Thanks!

In my acceptance email for the MS in Epi, it said "Be sure to set aside Friday, March 31 for our Admitted Student Preview Day."
I don't know if that was just for the MS in Epi program or what, I haven't heard anything about it since.

Side note: I don't think I realized how expensive UIC was until I was accepted and received my financial aid award letter notification, and if I'm understanding it correctly, I would have to take out nearly $100k in loans to attend--which is something I can't afford to do.
From what I've seen online, a lot of UIC students end up getting graduate assistantships, and the tuition reimbursement for those is VERY generous compared to other schools (Pitt, for example, as much as I love it, barely offers assistantships at all for Master's students). Also, when I took a look at their tuition breakdown per semester, I noticed that there's a different cost for 12+ credits vs 6-11 credits, and since you only need 45 credits total, you can do 1 or 2 semesters of 6-11 credits and that would bring down tuition significantly. http://publichealth.uic.edu/sites/d...admissions/pdf/Fall2016_Spring2017_Onsite.pdf

Edit: I also got the thing about March 31st and I'm not Epi, if that helps!

Last edited:
Did anyone get an email from Hopkins about logging into SIS and completing the Public Health Student Aid Application? I don't even know how to fill out the first question - halp! :(

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-17_14-43-15.png
    upload_2017-2-17_14-43-15.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 89