MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just found out I was waitlisted for the Epi program at Vanderbilt?! Honestly shocking, I was expecting an outright rejection. Not mad about it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Oregon State sent me the link to their internal graduate school application (you have to fill this out before they release your decision) and public health isn't listed as a choice for for major:lame: really annoying to have a bump in the road in being able to make my decision! SDSU needs me to give them my decision soon and I'd like to have all my options known!!! Hopefully I hear back from them soon... just thought I'd share my frustrations haha

What deadline did SDSU give you for responding?

For those of you thinking about UIC, I just got an email with a ton of info on the program and asking me to think about faculty mentors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we suppose to hear back from Emory's Financial Aid today? From past years, its the Friday before Visit Emory.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted to Yale HPM! Finally! I think this was probably discussed already in this thread, but I'm too lazy to go back through 90 pages of messages... Is the cost of the tuition really worth it? My top choice up until now was Vanderbilt, and the tuition is practically half.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted to Yale HPM! Finally! I think this was probably discussed already in this thread, but I'm too lazy to go back through 90 pages of messages... Is the cost of the tuition really worth it? My top choice up until now was Vanderbilt, and the tuition is practically half.
Congrats! May I know when you heard back and when you submitted your application? Still waiting to hear back from Yale.

Congrats! May I know when you heard back and when you submitted your application? Still waiting to hear back from Yale.

Thanks! I got the application received email 1/2, the complete email on 2/3, and I just heard back today!

Are we suppose to hear back from Emory's Financial Aid today? From past years, its the Friday before Visit Emory.

I received an email that said my financial aid package was ready for review yesterday.

I've been checking opus everyday this week and even emailed my financial aid advisor, and she told me that the packages are being sent daily. I think it also depends on your department. I'm in HPM, what department are you in? I feel like I'm checking opus more than I was for the admission decision. Lol

I've been checking opus everyday this week and even emailed my financial aid advisor, and she told me that the packages are being sent daily. I think it also depends on your department. I'm in HPM, what department are you in? I feel like I'm checking opus more than I was for the admission decision. Lol

Yeah, I just want to know before I come so I can prepare the right questions. lol I'm in the Global Health department.

Mine just showed up! lol Ask and you shall receive.

Edit: Just saw my financial aid package, so I asked but did not receive one bit and will have to take out full loans + more to support the cost of living.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For those of you thinking about UIC, I just got an email with a ton of info on the program and asking me to think about faculty mentors.
I applied on the deadline 2/1 (whoops), and I still haven't heard from them. It's been almost 6 weeks. When did you hear first/how soon after submitting?

Members don't see this ad :)

Edit: Just saw my financial aid package, so I asked but did not receive one bit and will have to take out full loans + more to support the cost of living.
Same. If I'm going to take out $50,000 a year in loans, I'm going to Yale b

How did you receive yours? Did they send you an email?

Just got my Emory financial aid through OPUS as well. Nothing but loans and a small REAL "grant." Oh well, probably not going to Emory.

Anyone else waiting to hear back from UCI or USC? Those are the only schools I have not heard from yet.

Personal problem:
Has anyone else ever been told, "If you can't get someone else to fully pay for your master's, you don't deserve to get one"? My mathematician father used to say that to me growing up, and I am now just realizing how much I internalized it... Is anyone else dealing with that sense of inadequacy and "do I really deserve this?" I am struggling to feel deserving of my MPH, and I am not sure how to get over that....
Lol yes my physicist father always said the same thing. But that's just not how it works in public health. Once I realized practically nobody is getting their MPH paid for, I felt a lot better about taking on the cost.

Reactions: 6 users
I would say this is totally dependent on one's price/loan tolerance. You would need to compare different aspects of each program to see how they fit with your career interests. If you are much more impressed with Yale's program, the higher cost may be worth it. If you find both programs equally impressive or are more impressed with Vanderbilt, the higher cost may not be worth it. The answer to your question will vary as well. Some may say to go with the cheaper option, which is a valid suggestion. There are a lot of different factors to consider, and it is by no means an easy decision.
If loans are your main concern, there is this loan repayment estimator that you may find useful. Someone may have already posted it but here it is: Repayment Estimator. I would also suggest looking up average salaries of your desired job positions for more insight into your cost-benefit analysis, assuming you want to work immediately after graduation.

Personally, I have found Yale's cost to be well worth it. Not too many schools divide epidemiology into two branches, so this was a great fit for me. Due to the interdisciplinary nature of the field, the opportunities to take courses in other graduate/professional schools are incredibly valuable. Additionally, you have the option to collaborate with faculty from other schools for a research project. Not to mention the rigorous curriculum, impressive faculty/student body, and strong job/internship/higher education placement. For what it's worth, the health policy department seems to be really popular here. After the first semester, several students from other departments transferred in since they enjoyed the core health policy class so much. I'm taking a health policy class right now, which I am really enjoying. I'll definitely try to take more in my second year. If you were admitted to the healthcare management track, students seem to really enjoy that too. The HCM class is very tight-knit, and the 50% public health/50% school of management curriculum presents opportunities of its own to branch out and make connections.

Reactions: 2 users
Personal problem:
Has anyone else ever been told, "If you can't get someone else to fully pay for your master's, you don't deserve to get one"? My mathematician father used to say that to me growing up, and I am now just realizing how much I internalized it... Is anyone else dealing with that sense of inadequacy and "do I really deserve this?" I am struggling to feel deserving of my MPH, and I am not sure how to get over that....

Without intending any disrespect towards your father, is it possible that this statement came about as a result of some of his peers not having to face the same struggles that he did? And if that's the case, I don't agree at all that it's your burden to bear.
About feeling deserving - it's going to be about the end result. Think about just what all you could, and will achieve, as a result of having your MPH. A couple of decades from now, once you've done all of that, you won't be asking yourself whether you really deserved it, you''ll know you did.

Reactions: 4 users
I applied on the deadline 2/1 (whoops), and I still haven't heard from them. It's been almost 6 weeks. When did you hear first/how soon after submitting?

I applied on the deadline too and I got an email saying I was recommended for admission last week! Did they receive all of the supplement items? If so you should probably hear from them soon!

I email them on 13th and they said decisions with be coming out until the end of March, really a tough time of waiting :(, what are your other choices?

They really are my top choice because I love the Global Health initiative that they have there. My other choices are BU, Emory and Colorado (because Colorado gave me a huge scholarship, but it's quite new so it's network is not extemely established.

I submitted the SOPHAS application on 1/16, and the supplemental application on 2/6 (totally forgot there were two components). I was accepted on 2/9.

Also finally heard back from Yale and got accepted yesterday!

For those of you that are still waiting, I submitted my app 1/10, got an email that my app was received by Yale on 1/12, received my application complete email 2/15, and received my acceptance email yesterday 3/16.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got my provisional award letter from UCLA and it consists of straight loans -.-... What is a bit annoying is the "student contribution" portion. They projected me to contribute up to ~$19k, but that is based off my income now when I am working. I have money saved up, but there is no way in hell I will be able to contribute thaaaat much when I am in school since I won't have the same job...

Reactions: 8 users
Oregon State sent me the link to their internal graduate school application (you have to fill this out before they release your decision) and public health isn't listed as a choice for for major:lame: really annoying to have a bump in the road in being able to make my decision! SDSU needs me to give them my decision soon and I'd like to have all my options known!!! Hopefully I hear back from them soon... just thought I'd share my frustrations haha
I applied to Oregon State as well and had that issue. I emailed the school and they told me that sometimes it takes a little bit for the public health application to show up in the portal. Keep refreshing the page and a public health application should show up- you can't start a new one yourself!

Hey you all, just sharing some positivity, encouragement and love real quick. I am beyond proud of EVERYONE who has gotten accepted into an MPH program. It makes me feel great to see so many of you thriving and getting your life together. As for those of us who are still waiting for certain schools just remember that "if it is for you then it will be done". Don't over stress, and just patiently wait. We got this and I am rooting for you all!!!!! Everything that is aligned for us will happen in due time. Best of luck you all.

Reactions: 26 users
Long time lurker but I was a SUPER late applicant to all programs (My SOPHAS app was submitted on 2/3 and coursework was verified 5 days ago on 2/15) but I just got an acceptance this afternoon around 2:30 from UC Denver's MPH in Global Public Health within FIVE days! I'm so ecstatic!! I also applied to UCLA, UNC Chapel Hill, UMN (dual MPH/MPP) and Johns Hopkins (lol, that will never happen), but I am guessing I won't hear for quite a few weeks. Just thought I'd finally chime in and see if anyone else is considering Colorado??

This is kinda late but I'm also considering Colorado (Biostats program at Anschutz). I'll most likely be there for the admitted students day. Also visiting Pitt this Friday. My main concern right now is cost/being able to pay rent lol.

After months of stress, anxiety, and waiting, I've decided to attend Oregon State! I've already declined my offers at other schools and now have to start the painstaking process of planning to move across the country. I was between two great programs, but I went with my gut and chose a lesser known program because it felt right and homey to me. Good luck to everyone else still waiting/deciding!

Reactions: 20 users
Rejected offers at UC Irvine, Hawaii, and Columbia (all Epi). Hope it gets someone off the waitlist!

For anyone who applied to WashU's Brown School, how did you hear your decision? By email or postal mail? I have a letter coming in from them today but I'm out of town so I won't be able to check until next week, and I didn't receive an email about anything :/
I got an email and on the portal there was an update

Hey everyone I've got a hopefully quick question for you. I've been accepted and given equal scholarships to Harvard and Yale for MPH health management. I am thinking about hospital fellowship or consulting after graduation. Which do y'all think would be best for me?

Can anyone speak about their thoughts or experiences with Northwestern University’s program in public health? I am considering the MS in Biostatistics. How would the fact that it’s housed in the medical school either positively or negatively impact the experience? I’m interested in many of the researchers work, and Northwestern is a good name, but Im not aware of any student’s experiences of the program.

Are there any groups/forums out there on SDN, Facebook or elsewhere for admitted & attending UNC students?

I just got an email on Saturday saying I was recommended for admission and I’m over the moon!!

Reactions: 7 users
Are there any groups/forums out there on SDN, Facebook or elsewhere for admitted & attending UNC students?

I just got an email on Saturday saying I was recommended for admission and I’m over the moon!!

Yes, there is a Facebook group for admitted UNC students: UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health Admitted Students for Fall 2018

I was added to or emailed a link to the group shortly after acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
This is kinda late but I'm also considering Colorado (Biostats program at Anschutz). I'll most likely be there for the admitted students day. Also visiting Pitt this Friday. My main concern right now is cost/being able to pay rent lol.
I'm also considering Colorado (Health Systems, Policy, and Management). It's between there program and Minnesota's (Maternal and Child Health) but Colorado is definitely the lowest cost priced option for me so I am leaning towards that program!

Reactions: 1 users
How would the fact that it’s housed in the medical school either positively or negatively impact the experience?
Idk much about Northwestern specifically, but in general I don't think the school vs. program issue necessarily reflects a quality difference. Rather, because programs housed in medical schools are usually smaller and attract more [future] MDs, they tend to have a narrower focus. If you know exactly what you want to research and know that there are faculty/research centers that align with that at Northwestern, I wouldn't worry too much about the program being in a medical school. If your interests are more general at this point, then I'd recommend looking at different programs that will allow you to explore biostatistics more broadly.

I may have missed this somewhere, but does anyone know if UW or Hopkins have facebook groups for admitted students?

I got into the OHSU MPH Epi program! I'm really excited because from everyone I've talked to, it's going to be a world of difference from my MS program. I got a scholarship that covers tuition, so I'm incredibly happy to get to do this full-time instead of part-time as I'd initially planned. Kind of can't believe my luck right now. :)

Officially decided to commit to Harvard's SM-80 Global Health and Population Program! :)

Reactions: 25 users
Officially decided to commit to Harvard's SM-80 Global Health and Population Program! :)

Congrats! I am nearing a decision myself but in true form will probably muddle through it until April 15. Also, are you attending Admitted Student Day?

Congrats! I am nearing a decision myself but in true form will probably muddle through it until April 15. Also, are you attending Admitted Student Day?

Yes! I’m going to go with two friends from college :) If you’re going, be on the lookout for a short Indian girl!