MPH MPH from Undergrad Success Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

qwertytrewq

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I'm a rising senior getting a BS in neuroscience. I have always wanted to be doctor but I became really interested in public health a few years back. Due to awesome research opportunities and internships, I realized that I want to pursue both a MD and a MPH. I am taking a gap year and in that gap year I want to pursue an MPH in health policy and management. While I have public health research and internship experience, I do not have the work experience that schools seem to be looking for. I'm primarily focusing on 1-year MPH programs as I want to start medical school right afterwards (financial and personal reasons).

I've been looking over old threads and saw that some people were accepted to great MPH schools straight from undergrad. I'd like to ask any of you who went straight to grad school from undergrad in either a 1-year or 2-year MPH program to please answer any of the following questions:

1. Where did you get in? Was it a 1 or 2 year program?
2. What were your stats?
3. Any advice for someone who is just beginning the process of even thinking about applying?
4. If you got an MD after you MPH, what opportunities do you think became available for you during med school due to your MPH?

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks everyone!
 
There is some advice here about whether to apply straight from undergrad vs working for 1-2 years
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-accepted-waitlisted-rejected.1040622/page-25 (post 1227 and beyond)

Overall there is a general agreement that at least 1 year of experience helps you get into better schools, makes you eligible for scholarships, and makes you more marketable when you're trying to get a job afterwards. Though this advice doesn't seem to apply to those that plan to get an MD afterwards.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I plan to apply to medical school afterwards. I participated in undergraduate research in both public health and biomedical sciences for the duration of my undergraduate education. I applied to schools of public health after graduation (took a gap year) so that I could study for the MCAT. I finished applying to SOPHAS in September and Hopkins (they have a separate application) in October and subsequently started my AmeriCorps position. I will attend Johns Hopkins for an MHS in Clinical and CVD Epidemiology, where I plan to gain significant training in epidemiological methods, biostatistics and study design for chronic diseases. I want to use my public health degree for research, but I also want to practice medicine.

I did not really have "work" experience before I applied, hence why I couldn't apply to Hopkins for their MPH program. I think there are one year MPH programs at Dartmouth and maybe at some other schools.

What I tell everyone to do is to apply early (get your letters of recommendation during the summer when you are applying).

I only applied to two schools, however I wish I would have applied to more (5 or 6). Also, I am an underrepresented minority (URM) male so how my application was reviewed might be different from others and the theme of my application was about disparities in health and healthcare.

I would also spend a lot of time crafting your statement of purpose/personal statement to make sure you properly identify your motivation to go into public health and what you plan to do with your degree after graduation. It's perfectly fine to say that you ultimately plan to pursue a career in medicine in your statement.

I think in medical school, I will want to conduct epidemiological research while studying for classes. I think having a public health degree will give you an added perspective on medicine and might offer a different approach when treating patients.
 
Last edited:
I'm reading through that thread now - Great info! Thanks a lot for your responses. NeurosciTMS, you said you took a gap year to study for the MCAT.. so you applied to your MHS using an MCAT score instead of GRE? Was this because you'll be using the MCAT to apply to med school eventually and you wanted to save time by not studying for an additional test?
 
About the 1 year programs, the majority are for those in an advanced degree program already (or graduated). So beware of that requirement when looking at the various 1 year programs.
 
I'm reading through that thread now - Great info! Thanks a lot for your responses. NeurosciTMS, you said you took a gap year to study for the MCAT.. so you applied to your MHS using an MCAT score instead of GRE? Was this because you'll be using the MCAT to apply to med school eventually and you wanted to save time by not studying for an additional test?

Exactly right! I didn't want to study for an additional test so I only applied to schools that used the MCAT in lieu of the GRE. I could not apply to Harvard's SM2 program or other programs that required the GRE as a result.

I have not listed my MCAT scores in that thread, but I think most schools look for applicants to score at least in the 50th percentile. Schools in the top 10 usually look for scores near or above the 70th percentile. Also, emphasis is placed on certain subsection scores depending on the department you are applying to. Epidemiology, EHS, and biostatistics look for high quantitative scores vs. Health Behavior/SMS look for high verbal scores, but again, test scores are not everything. I think demonstrating passion and purpose in public health is more important.
 
Last edited:
I plan to apply to medical school afterwards. I participated in undergraduate research in both public health and biomedical sciences for the duration of my undergraduate education. I applied to schools of public health after graduation (took a gap year) so that I could study for the MCAT. I finished applying to SOPHAS in September and Hopkins (they have a separate application) in October and subsequently started my AmeriCorps position. I will attend Johns Hopkins for an MHS in Clinical and CVD Epidemiology, where I plan to gain significant training in epidemiological methods, biostatistics and study design for chronic diseases. I want to use my public health degree for research, but I also want to practice medicine.

I did not really have "work" experience before I applied, hence why I couldn't apply to Hopkins for their MPH program. I think there are one year MPH programs at Dartmouth and maybe at some other schools.

What I tell everyone to do is to apply early (get your letters of recommendation during the summer when you are applying).

I only applied to two schools, however I wish I would have applied to more (5 or 6). Also, I am an underrepresented minority (URM) male so how my application was reviewed might be different from others and the theme of my application was about disparities in health and healthcare.

I would also spend a lot of time crafting your statement of purpose/personal statement to make sure you properly identify your motivation to go into public health and what you plan to do with your degree after graduation. It's perfectly fine to say that you ultimately plan to pursue a career in medicine in your statement.

I think in medical school, I will want to conduct epidemiological research while studying for classes. I think having a public health degree will give you an added perspective on medicine and might offer a different approach when treating patients.

Hi. I am sorry to bother you, but I just signed up today. I am a high school graduate from Nepal, I did A levels. I am very passionate about Public Health and want to do my undergrad major in it, but I recently met an American trauma surgeon who told me otherwise. He said how I would not be contributing in the field. And since you've mentioned how you did your undergrad in Public Health if I'm not wrong, would you please give me some advice? I am very confused. Thank you. And sorry if I am an inconvenience.
 
Hi. I am sorry to bother you, but I just signed up today. I am a high school graduate from Nepal, I did A levels. I am very passionate about Public Health and want to do my undergrad major in it, but I recently met an American trauma surgeon who told me otherwise. He said how I would not be contributing in the field. And since you've mentioned how you did your undergrad in Public Health if I'm not wrong, would you please give me some advice? I am very confused. Thank you. And sorry if I am an inconvenience.

I obtained my undergraduate degree in neuroscience, but I had public health experience through internships during my undergraduate education. I am not sure what the trauma surgeon meant by the statement "I would not be contributing to the field," because there are many physicians that engage in public health research and have devoted their careers to public health. Depending on what you want to do in public health, you should research masters and doctoral programs and take the appropriate steps to ensure a successful application. I personally think you should major in anything that interests you. If that means public health, go for it. Just make sure you take the appropriate classes that might be necessary for whatever your career goals end up being. Public health is broad so majoring in public health won't be a setback but in order to make major contributions to the field, you will definitely need a masters or doctoral degree.
 
I obtained my undergraduate degree in neuroscience, but I had public health experience through internships during my undergraduate education. I am not sure what the trauma surgeon meant by the statement "I would not be contributing to the field," because there are many physicians that engage in public health research and have devoted their careers to public health. Depending on what you want to do in public health, you should research masters and doctoral programs and take the appropriate steps to ensure a successful application. I personally think you should major in anything that interests you. If that means public health, go for it. Just make sure you take the appropriate classes that might be necessary for whatever your career goals end up being. Public health is broad so majoring in public health won't be a setback but in order to make major contributions to the field, you will definitely need a masters or doctoral degree.

Thank you so much. Really appreciate it.
 
Hi everyone,

I'm a rising senior getting a BS in neuroscience. I have always wanted to be doctor but I became really interested in public health a few years back. Due to awesome research opportunities and internships, I realized that I want to pursue both a MD and a MPH. I am taking a gap year and in that gap year I want to pursue an MPH in health policy and management. While I have public health research and internship experience, I do not have the work experience that schools seem to be looking for. I'm primarily focusing on 1-year MPH programs as I want to start medical school right afterwards (financial and personal reasons).

I've been looking over old threads and saw that some people were accepted to great MPH schools straight from undergrad. I'd like to ask any of you who went straight to grad school from undergrad in either a 1-year or 2-year MPH program to please answer any of the following questions:

1. Where did you get in? Was it a 1 or 2 year program?
2. What were your stats?
3. Any advice for someone who is just beginning the process of even thinking about applying?
4. If you got an MD after you MPH, what opportunities do you think became available for you during med school due to your MPH?

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks everyone!
1) I got into two programs, one of which was small and new and one of which was older and larger. I only applied to those two because they were local and had a late deadline, since my decision was last-minute.
2) I had a 3.3 and 720/800/4 verbal/quant/writing GRE (old system)
3) I enjoyed earning my MPH. Just make sure you are genuinely interested in public health since there are cheaper and more effective means to buff a med school application. During your MPH, learn software - R, SPSS, ArcGIS, etc. since they open up job opportunities. Make connections by talking with professors (easier to do in a smaller/newer program).
4) I am a second-year DO student and I don't think my MPH is making my experience here that much different (aside from stroking my ego when professors ask if. I have a graduate degree), but then again I'm not currently pursuing research. The MPH did help me get a good job between grad school and med school, and I do hope to do some work in public health as a physician.