MPH MPH gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kit_kat10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
After finally getting an acceptance to medical school, I asked to have my admission to be deferred to next year. I know some people can pick up and move in a short span but I was waitlisted at 2 schools at 2 different parts of the country and heard from really late ( in less 4 days from school starting). I basically gave up on the cycle and was going to consider re-applying. So now I get a free year. However I want to do my MPH as well during medical school.

I’m in a dilemma whether I should start my MPH in the next year I have free so I would be doing Fall and Spring semester but I won’t be able to finish it because my med school would start next summer. I would have to wait to finish my MPH until a later time. I could just wait to start my MPH after my 3rd year and do it between my 3rd and 4th year or I could just start it now and finish it up between my 3rd and 4th year. I know people say to relax which I would be doing because I would not be doing anything after spring semester ends next year and would only be doing a light workload (3-4 classes) for the MPH. The reasons I’m considering starting it because 1) I have a free year where I can start and 2) I know I’ll have to finish the MPH later so at that time my workload wouldn’t be as bad.

I’d appreciate anyone’s input or advice please.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the information you shared, I personally would opt for doing it between 3rd and 4th year. For this gap year, I would focus on gaining work experience in areas of interest (and also enjoy doing things I wouldn't have time for the next 4+ years). This work experience is to gain an appreciation for what happens in these settings and inform your future decisions as a physician (e.g., maybe you find yourself passionate about serving a certain patient population or community).

Again, this is just what I'd do if I were in your situation. I don't think you could go wrong either way.