MPH jobs in pharmaceutical companies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny66

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what types of jobs are available for MPH grads in pharmaceutical companies, what the career paths are like, what the salaries are, etc? I am particular insterested in epi-related work.

Thanks for any insights people might have.

Members don't see this ad.

sunny66 said:
Does anyone know what types of jobs are available for MPH grads in pharmaceutical companies, what the career paths are like, what the salaries are, etc? I am particular insterested in epi-related work.

Thanks for any insights people might have.

Hey...I can't answer your question. But I'm really curious to know what people think/say. I'm probably pursuing an MPH in Epi and was wondering about the jobs available in the private pharmaceutical industry as well. I hope someone responds!

Hihi!

Well, with regards to MPH grads in pharmaceutical companies - the job opportunities are varied and broad. First stopping ground (although it is an unpopular one) - phramaceutical companies will always need biostatisticians to determine the success or failure of their new drugs. The salaries are decent compared to your average college degree (probably $35,000-55,000/year starting, maybe as high as $60,000), and the job security is decent. These companies are always testing new drugs, and the demand for statisticians is there - coupled with the fact that many people simply don't like statistics makes this a viable choice for those who have had strong preparation in math.

Healthcare management people will also find work here as well, and many pharmaceutical companies like to hire those with an MPH/MBA. The salaries here are also pretty good (probably $60,000 and up), but many will require work experience before you can move up the chain any significant amount.

As for epidemiology, I'm not as sure. I wish I had a better answer to give you, but if I find one, I'll post it asap. I hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi!

Well, with regards to MPH grads in pharmaceutical companies - the job opportunities are varied and broad. First stopping ground (although it is an unpopular one) - phramaceutical companies will always need biostatisticians to determine the success or failure of their new drugs. The salaries are decent compared to your average college degree (probably $35,000-55,000/year starting, maybe as high as $60,000), and the job security is decent. These companies are always testing new drugs, and the demand for statisticians is there - coupled with the fact that many people simply don't like statistics makes this a viable choice for those who have had strong preparation in math.

Healthcare management people will also find work here as well, and many pharmaceutical companies like to hire those with an MPH/MBA. The salaries here are also pretty good (probably $60,000 and up), but many will require work experience before you can move up the chain any significant amount.

As for epidemiology, I'm not as sure. I wish I had a better answer to give you, but if I find one, I'll post it asap. I hope this helps!

Yeah--thanks...it actually does help. I'm just deciding btw. Emory (epi) program or Dartmouth's more generalized program....both are costing me a fortune...so its hard to see which degree would be better in terms of working in "other" fields such as the pharmaceutical industry. And I have no idea if I'm going to even like epi...so just confused. I really like your idea of an MPH/MBA...that seems more like what I'd wanna do. Since I'm going to PH school straight from undergrad, I'd have to get an MBA later after work experience...anyone got advice on which program is better for me? Given the fact...that I'm not "sure" about epidemiology? And which would be better in terms of finding a job...

AtlChic said:
Yeah--thanks...it actually does help. I'm just deciding btw. Emory (epi) program or Dartmouth's more generalized program....both are costing me a fortune...so its hard to see which degree would be better in terms of working in "other" fields such as the pharmaceutical industry. And I have no idea if I'm going to even like epi...so just confused. I really like your idea of an MPH/MBA...that seems more like what I'd wanna do. Since I'm going to PH school straight from undergrad, I'd have to get an MBA later after work experience...anyone got advice on which program is better for me? Given the fact...that I'm not "sure" about epidemiology? And which would be better in terms of finding a job...

Hihi!

If you're thinking about an MPH/MBA, I strongly suggest you stay away from Dartmouth's program. It is EXTREMELY weak in this area, and won't offer you much of anything. They only require ONE course in health management, and there is absolutely no way you are going to be able to compete in terms of training against other programs (Michigan's for example, who is ranked #1), who will give you two full years of nothing but healthcare administration training. Also, getting an MPH in epi won't help you if you want to go into administration either. If I were you, and this is what I really wanted to do, I'd wait a year and reapply to healthcare administration programs - these 2 options really aren't going to help you towards that goal.

Hi Doc,
Just wanted to get your opinion here after reading some of the posts regarding the original question. I want to get into international health and health finance. My Plan is to get a MPH in international health or global health and then go for a MBA or Masters in International affairs with a finance concentration. I got into the international health program and all the schools I applied for. Do you think that is a solid enough background for MBA later on? I know that the Yale global health program is pretty decent with a 3 month internship and then a thesis and then taking the electives at B-school. I looked at the health admin program but I am not really interested in consulting or hospital management. I want to work with international agencies setting up and directing projects and stuff. Would love to get input from people on the forum

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi!

If you're thinking about an MPH/MBA, I strongly suggest you stay away from Dartmouth's program. It is EXTREMELY weak in this area, and won't offer you much of anything. They only require ONE course in health management, and there is absolutely no way you are going to be able to compete in terms of training against other programs (Michigan's for example, who is ranked #1), who will give you two full years of nothing but healthcare administration training. Also, getting an MPH in epi won't help you if you want to go into administration either. If I were you, and this is what I really wanted to do, I'd wait a year and reapply to healthcare administration programs - these 2 options really aren't going to help you towards that goal.

I'm really not sure what I am thinking in terms of MPH/MBA. Either an MBA or a DrPH...definitely not a Ph.d Something that would offer me a leadership "role" in my field sometime down the road. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas about healthcare consulting? Like how one would go about finding a job in hc consulting? And specifically what type of degree would be useful for it?

Homer101 said:
Hi Doc,
Just wanted to get your opinion here after reading some of the posts regarding the original question. I want to get into international health and health finance. My Plan is to get a MPH in international health or global health and then go for a MBA or Masters in International affairs with a finance concentration. I got into the international health program and all the schools I applied for. Do you think that is a solid enough background for MBA later on? I know that the Yale global health program is pretty decent with a 3 month internship and then a thesis and then taking the electives at B-school. I looked at the health admin program but I am not really interested in consulting or hospital management. I want to work with international agencies setting up and directing projects and stuff. Would love to get input from people on the forum

Hihi Homer,

You know, your plan sounds fine actually, if you're interested in working in international health with a financial management focus. However, something you should take into account is almost any business school worth their salt will require that you have at LEAST 2 years full-time working experience. If you're fresh out of undergrad, most decent MBA programs won't even consider your application (and yes, it does matter where you go) - 3 months for an internship won't be nearly enough. If you have work experience already, you'll be fine - if you don't, you might have to work for awhile before coming back to get your MBA. I'll try and post more later (I'm headed to Columbia's visit day right now), so I should be back in several hours. I hope this helps!

AtlChic said:
I'm really not sure what I am thinking in terms of MPH/MBA. Either an MBA or a DrPH...definitely not a Ph.d Something that would offer me a leadership "role" in my field sometime down the road. Anyways, does anyone have any ideas about healthcare consulting? Like how one would go about finding a job in hc consulting? And specifically what type of degree would be useful for it?

Hihi!

Well, where to begin - first of all, one often obtains a job in healthcare consulting right after school - if you graduate from a solid program in healthcare administration or healthcare management, there should be some consulting firms willing to hire you. For this, you'd need a degree in administration (and this varies, some schools call it MHSA - masters of health services administration, some call it MHA - masters in healthcare administration, and some just call it MPH with a concentration in health management). I know Michigan, Iowa, and Columbia (all schools I have or will visit) have consulting firms who hire from them upon graduation. The other route is some people get an MPH/MBA, and those people often work in consulting as well. I'm headed to Columbia's visit day right now, but I'll try and post more when I return. I hope this helps!

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi!

My husband, who is currently in Pharmacy school, recently had a speaker for a class that was a pharacoepidemiologist with Wyeth. But I believe she had a PharmD/MPH. With just a MPH, I'm not sure what types of epi jobs there may be. Sorry! If anyone finds out, let us know!