Mph? Mpp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edmania

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am relatively new to this forum.

I am interested in public health and not so much on the clinical aspects to health (so no MD). I've made up my mind that I don't want to pursue a medical degree (MD or DO).

I am, however, interested in working in global health. Is this silly without an MD? (I understand that DO is not recognized to the same extent as MD from an international perspective)

Can MPH (and perhaps a PhD in the future) be enough to work for international health organizations (i.e. WHO) or even domestic ones (i.e. CDC...etc.)?

I am torn since I am also interested in international relations and the idea of possibly pursuing an MPP (again PhD in the future). I was informed that MPP is diverse in that since this trains in public policy, most health agencies would also be okay with this degree. Is this true?

I appreciate all your input and thoughts.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I know plenty of folks who work at global health companies with MPH or MPP (or even without a master's). So both degrees are flexible enough to work in the global health setting. The most important thing in that sector is to network--get to know folks, ask for informational interviews, etc.

If you're located in a city (such as DC) where a lot of these opportunities exist would be ideal.

I completely agree with Stories.

Just to add to that, for organizations like CDC/FDA/NIH, you're going to have a much harder time getting in without a clinical degree. That's not to say there aren't lots of people that work there with an MPH or MPP but, rather, that a clinical degree is extremely helpful in getting in the door with them. Additionally, if you look at the individuals in charge of CDC (both at the extreme top but also within smaller divisions and units) almost all have clinical degrees. The are a lot of other international and domestic NGOs that would gladly hire someone without clinical expertise though. Just something to keep in mind depending on what you want to do. The government benefits are great if you can get in with them... you might consider CMS as they tend to higher a lot more people without clinical degrees than CDC/FDA/NIH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for your input, it is much appreciated.

I am leaning toward MPP and pursuing public policy route since it will potentially have more opportunities- which includes both health and non-health related positions. Whereas an MPH would most likely be more health oriented, thus leading to a more health-focused positions... Is this thought process logical? Anyone disagree? Any thoughts in general?

Hmm... I am really having a hard time deciding...

Thanks again!

Thanks guys for your input, it is much appreciated.

I am leaning toward MPP and pursuing public policy route since it will potentially have more opportunities- which includes both health and non-health related positions. Whereas an MPH would most likely be more health oriented, thus leading to a more health-focused positions... Is this thought process logical? Anyone disagree? Any thoughts in general?

Hmm... I am really having a hard time deciding...

Thanks again!

I think the skills you learn are substantially different for all the programs. For instance, you tend to learn to read and write in a different manner (memo, briefs) for a MPP whereas for a MPH you tend to read and write more scientifically (journals, tables/figures). So some the tangible skills you get are different. But the most important thing is the network opportunities will be dramatically different. You'll be hooked up with health-oriented folks if you get a MPH.

However--if you graduate from a school with a wide alumni network, you can go to the University-wide alumni events and hope to meet random folks that way, even if your skills are honed in another area. This goes for all schools, actually.