MPH MPH/MSW decision help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ironshef23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning to do a dual degree mph/msw and am trying to decide which program to attend. I am torn between university of Michigan, Columbia, and UPenn. My primary interest is public health, but i want a high quality and academically rigorous experience with both programs. I am drawn to upenn because of its emphasis on interdisciplinary study, and its social justice focused, urban mission. I also like the small size of the program and the room for individualized study and access to professors. However, its public health program is much less well known than the other two, and I don't know if it is a mistake to pass up the resources and connections that columbia or Michigan would provide. I have heard that Columbia can be cold and impersonal, but I don't know if this is an accurate portrayal. I am interested in urban health issues, and for that reason, Michigan is less attractive, due to its location and focus areas. Of the three, I would much prefer living in Philadelphia. So basically I've been going back and forth between them! Any advice or experiences with the dual degrees or either of the separate degrees is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.