MPH - Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mph_179

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to SDN; I just happened to come across it on a Google search looking for students/almuni perspectives on different MPH programs. Anyway, I tried searching through past threads to see if anyone had any experience with Penn State's MPH program, and I couldn't really find much. I'm specifically looking at their Epi/Biostats track, and I have done just about as much digging as I can do (visited the school, spoke to admissions, spoke to two student reps at an open house, etc). I really do like their program, but as a full disclosure I'm a Pennsylvania native and even a PSU alum, so I'm wondering if it's really the right program for me or if I'm just retreating back to familiar things within my comfort zone, haha.

I was hoping to hear from people who might have applied but ultimately chose another school or people who are currently in any track of Penn State's MPH. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want an MPH? Is the goal to be an expert on public health, to be an epidemiologist, or to be a biostatistician?

MPH degrees are designed to make you suited in areas of public health, "tracks" within there are to make you more comfortable interacting with and minimally using the latter two.

A Masters in Epi would make you strong on Epi but much weaker in the other two.

A Masters in biostatistics would set you to be a biostatistician.

PSU has a pretty well regarded Masters in Applied Statistics if you wanted to be a statistician.

John's Hopkins has a well known school of public health if you wanted the other two.

Epidemiology and Biostatistics will be more quantitatively-oriented than an MPH (usually regardlesss of an MPH "track") and biostats will be more quantitatively rigorous than either of the other two.