MPH Programs in Dallas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umc27

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Does anyone know of any MPH programs in the Dallas-Fort Worth area? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe the Dallas "regional campus" of the UT school is the one at Southwestern; they're one in the same, so it's accredited. Anecdotally, I've heard bad things about both the regional campuses and UNT-FW.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not true. There is a UT SPH (main campus in Houston) regional campus in Dallas that is accredited. There is a separate program at Southwestern, but I don't know much about it. The confusing thing is the UT SPH program is located on Southwestern's campus. Hope this helps.

Let me clear up any confusion on the UT-Sw/UTSPH MPH programs:
They're the same thing. The pictures you are seeing are the building that we take classes in (the "Health Professions" building on UT-Sw's campus) and our Regional Dean.

I am a student in this program, so if you have any questions about it, I'm more than happy to help out. Off the top of my head, I'll do my best to describe the program to you from a "student's perspective."

We have about a dozen faculty members here in Dallas (each of whom are experts in their field) and you will have 2 as advisors, so you'll quickly get to know them. We have a small student population; our largest classes are the intro classes that have about 20 students in them, and classes can get small outside of that. You can interpret that as either a positive thing or a negative thing.

You have access to the online resources of UTSPH and the on-campus (as well as online) resources of UT-Sw. Classes are offered with faculty on-campus, ITV with faculty from Houston and the other regional campuses, or online.

One negative thing about the Regional Campus programs is they only offer a general MPH degree, you can't specialize it in Epidemiology or anything like that. This offers more flexibility and you get to pretty much take whatever electives you like outside of the required classes for the degree (one core-course from each of the specialities). You *can* add a concentration in Global Health to your plan at any of our regional campuses (which is something I am doing). As a regional campus, the only time I have felt like a man-on-an-island has been when looking for a practicum opportunity. Houston students have much better communicated options and are easier to find. We sort of have to dig, but I let members of the on-campus faculty we have here know that I was looking and they were very helpful in this, so it worked out really well actually.

If you have any other questions let me know. You can get a better look at our curriculum here, the whole http://www.sph.uth.tmc.edu/ website is applicable to our program, with the exception of degree concentrations.