MPH Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Grim

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MD who is about to finish my residency. I'm considering earning a MPH. I know it will help me if I want a career in academic medicine. But my question is, how much more will a MPH help me if I want a career outside of academia?

I'm looking into the research fellowships for MDs offered by 1. Univ. of Maryland with a MPH from JHU, 2. Univ. of WA (Seattle), 3. Harvard.

Which one would you pick and why?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of "outside academia" are you thinking? Pharmaceutical research? Health policy? Hospital administration? International NGO? Other?

For any of those, an MPH would be a strong asset; for entering a group practice in suburbia, probably not so much (even if the ideas might be valuable). If you are looking into research fellowships, though, that would seem to imply you're thinking of going a research route...

All three of those programs are top-notch, so if you can identify a subject of research (e.g. clinical trials, cancer, environmental health, policy, whatever...) maybe one school or another will have an edge. Prestige-wise, not so much difference. Also, it's not completely unreasonable to decide based on where you like to live and how quickly you will be able to pay off your loans...