MPH MPH Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saubee19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I am a current undergraduate student graduating this May and is somewhat curious about PH. I am looking into getting my masters in PH but am unsure of the jobs that I can do with this. I am currently supposed to be going to Occupational therapy school starting this summer but am rethinking my decision because of program costs.

I know that some people work as epidemiologist with a masters in PH but unsure what else is possible. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

This is probably, if not, the most common question that I and my other public health friends get asked. Well, the first thing I would ask myself if I were you is "why do I want to pursue public health?" Your answers can help form your personal statement if you decide to move on with the degree. Public Health is very broad and there are a lot of jobs involved in it. Take a look at this website: What Can I Become with a Master's in Public Health? - MastersPortal.com as well as 100 Awesome Things You Can Do with a Public Health MPH Degree | Careers In Public Health if you haven't had the chance to.
I am a currently in my second year as an MPH student and have loved every moment of it. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: 1 user
So many things wrong with those links such as conflating and informaticist with a statistician.

Keep in mind that if you want to be an informaticist, informatics and computer science degrees will make you much better at your job; a statistician then a biostatistics or statistics masters (not a degree concentrated in these) will make you much better suited for these roles.

An MPH is a really broad nonspecific degree that only makes you loosely familiar with things like management/policy/biostatistics/informatics.

It's a disservice to pretend like an MPH from most schools will prepare you truly well for one of those roles.