MPH Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that scholarships for MPH students are hard to come by, but for those of you currently in MPH programs: do you know the stats/experience of people at your school with significant scholarships? Is it common for someone straight from undergrad with limited experience to receive a scholarship, or are they more experience-based than academically-based? Please include stats-range, experience, school, and scholarship amount, if possible.

This question is mainly intended for schools that are very selective with their scholarships (Yale, Emory) as opposed UT-Houston and BU, which give out scholarships to many of their competitive applicants (although you can lists stats for these, too).

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I can't offer much insight into stats, as no one I know has (or will admit to having) a merit scholarship at Emory. I think you'll probably have a tough time getting specific information on scholarship recipients. Per Emory's website, scholarship decisions are based on:

1. Academic excellence and/or promise,
  2. Leadership potential,
  3. Service to others, and
  4. “Potential contribution to the rich exchange of ideas and viewpoints that should characterize a diverse student body.” (An Essential Guide to Graduate Admissions: A Policy Statement, Council of Graduate Schools, 2005)
http://www.sph.emory.edu/cms/current_students/scholarships.html

I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with work experience, but these are pretty selective awards.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. I'm just hoping the Public Service Loan Forgiveness hangs around long enough to forgive some of my debt. :p

Three of my friends here who have full-tuition scholarships came from the work force rather than out of undergrad. Those are the only people I know of for sure that have the full-tuition scholarship.

I know for fact two kids that pay outright for tuition ($32k/yr) both came straight from undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory told me that their scholarship recipients have near perfect GPAs and GRE scores and often have other postgrad degrees.

This is depressing. Debt here I come...:(

When does Emory let us know about scholarships- mid-March?

Has anyone received a merit award from BU? If so, can I ask how much it was for? Stats? Thanks!

You don't need a perfect GPA/scores to get scholarships... you just need to write good essays.

This is for Oregon residents only: OSAC has two public health scholarships.