MPH Spring 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docgreys

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! It's super early in the game but I figured I'd start a thread for anyone applying to Spring 2018 MPH Programs! I know there aren't many out there :( If anyone has any remarks of my info below feel free !

Copied stats from other threads.

Undergrad School:
Large Private School
Undergrad GPA: 3.1 Strong upward trend ...like from 2.9 for mid 3 semesters to about 3.67 each semester for final 3 semesters. 3.2 with study abroad in France,
Major (&Minor): Psych major, Pre-med concentration (which I sucked at), Public Health minor.
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): GRE - 156 V, 147 Q, 4.5 W. Re-taking to bring up quant but i really dont want to :( Also people keep saying GRE doesnt matter much unless its epi but I want to have a great application
Experience/Research:
Work
- 1.5 Years of work as a medical assistant
- 6 months of part-time work as an MA in the ER
- Work-study job and babysitting all 4 years of college
- Paid Internship at national non-profit (like project management) for 4 months
- Just started internship at global NGO
Volunteer
- Volunteer MA for 3 months (2014)
- volunteer summer research assistant at psych dept (2015)
- Volunteer tutor for underserved first graders for 1 semester (2013)
- Mentor and board member for an elementary school mentoring organization at school (1.5 years, 2013-2015)
Other:
- French classes, going from basic-intermediate.
- Basic spanish speaking, intermediate listening
- West African tribal language (fluent)

LORs:

- One professor who I am very close to
- Going to try and finesse one from an old prof who is super well known in pubh field
- Hopefully 2 from each internship

Interested in:
Global health - MCH, reproductive health. Program/Project management.
Applied/Will Apply: Thinking BU (global health project management) and GWU (global health - program design)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Decision:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nice to see someone starting the thread my stats are as follows
IMG with MBBS degree
GPA 3.7 as per WES
GMAT score 660 85 percentile(want to apply for dual degree so went for GMAT )
Work Experience
7 years of clinical experience in Pakistan in which worked for a big Public hospital 3 years than 2 years of Private job as a House physician and then established my own private practice and worked for 2 years
Moved to South Africa after that and have 3 years experience as a data analyst deling with South African Public health data
Volunteer work of 1 year in south africa providing consulation to a local NGO in Cape Town
Volunteer work part time in Pakistan for 3 years over the weekends
LOR are written by one of my professors from MBBS days that i was very close to he is now Department head and very popular figure
One from my supervisor and one from my employer in south africa. All letters should be way above average

wanted to ask with my profile which universities should i target as I was thinking JHU, Yale, Columbia, washu and Drexel. wanted to get your opinon that with my credentials do I have a fair chance?? best of luck to everyone

Undergrad School: GWU
Undergrad GPA: 3.1 (Struggle with a parent's cancer diagnosis and death for 3 semesters. Strong upward trend ...like from 2.9 for mid 3 semesters to about 3.67 each semester for final 3 semesters. 3.2 with study abroad in France, courses relevant to major but GWU wont add it to their gpa unless its one of their branded study abroad programs, none of which applied to my major.) Sorry that was a lot :eek:
Major (&Minor): Psych major, Pre-med concentration (which I sucked at), Public Health minor.
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): GRE - 156 V, 147 Q, 4.5 W. Re-taking to bring up quant but i really dont want to :( Also people keep saying GRE doesnt matter much unless its epi but I want to have a great application
Experience/Research:
Work
- 1.5 Years of work as a medical assistant at one of GW's medical specialties
- 6 months of part-time work as an MA in the ER at GW
- Work-study job and babysitting all 4 years of college
- Paid Internship at national non-profit (like project management) for 4 months
- Just started internship at global NGO
Volunteer
- Volunteer MA at same place above for 3 months (2014)
- volunteer summer research assistant at GW psych dept (2015)
- Volunteer tutor for underserved first graders for 1 semester (2013)
- Mentor and board member for an elementary school mentoring organization at school (1.5 years, 2013-2015)
Other:
- French classes, going from basic-intermediate.
- Basic spanish speaking, intermediate listening
- West African tribal language (fluent)
I'm nervous bc I don't have enough volunteer experience that's recent, but so many places in DC are 9-5 and I work fulltime. I found one place for weekends but I need to study for the GRE and somewhat have a social life lol.

LORs:

- One professor who I am very close to + is faculty for one of gw's mph programs
- Going to try and finesse one from an old prof who is super well known in pubh field and at GW
- Hopefully 2 from each internship, one of whom is a GW grad (at this point y'all can see where I'm trying to go to school LOL)

Interested in:
Global health - MCH, reproductive health. Program/Project management.
Applied/Will Apply: Thinking BU (global health project management) and GWU (global health - program design)
Accepted:
Rejected:
I applied and was rejected from GW's global health epi program for fall 2017. Tbh, I looked at my SOP and it was utter trash compared what I wrote for program design. I also wasn't too into epi and had no pubh experience so it was a blessing in disguise.
Waitlisted:
Decision:

SOPHAS opens in Aug, good luck everyone![/QUOTE]

Hi everyone! It's super early in the game but I figured I'd start a thread for anyone applying to Spring 2018 MPH Programs! I know there aren't many out there :( If anyone has any remarks of my info below feel free !

Copied stats from other threads.

Undergrad School:
IMG
Undergrad GPA:
Major MBBS
GradGPA
3.73 (Wes claculation)
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): GMAT 660 ETS conversion calculator converts it to V 156 Q 166
Experience/Research:
Work
- 7 years of clinical experience in Pakistan in which worked for a big Public hospital 3 years than 2 years of Private job as a House physician and then established my own private practice and worked for 2 years
- Moved to South Africa after that and have 3 years experience as a data analyst deling with South African Public health data
- Volunteer work of 1 year in south africa providing consulation to a local NGO in Cape Town
- part time in Pakistan for 3 years over the weekends
-
Other:
- Multilingua 5 languages

LORs:

-
LOR are written by one of my professors from MBBS days that i was very close to he is now Department head and very popular figure
One from my supervisor and one from my employer in south africa. All letters should be way above average

Interested in:
Harvard, GWU, John Hopkins,Yale,columbia,Drexel,Wash U
Applied/Will Apply: all of the aboven
Accepted: Johns Hopkins MPH
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Decision: