MPH Thesis Vs No Thesis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syzar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the verdict on this? Two of my top schools, UNC and University of Michigan, do not have a thesis as part of the MPH. Will this negatively effect my job prospects, MPH experience, and doctoral pursuit?

Members don't see this ad.

From what professors/supervisors have told me your practicum experience is more important if you are looking to directly enter the job market after your degree. If you are looking to go into a PhD program right after then maybe your app would be stronger with a thesis. Either way MS programs, which almost universally require a thesis, seem to be the path to take if you plan on going right into a PhD program.

However, both are top ranked schools. So I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:
Honestly, probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things unless your thesis is a publishable research article. However, many theses never reach that stage of polish as students often do not see the need to publish it. Plenty of students go on to get solid jobs and doctoral degrees without a published thesis. And chances are, if you apply to a doctoral program during your 2nd year of MPH, your thesis won't be done or published during the application process, anyhow.

Reactions: 1 user