MPH vs. MSc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ren19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between a MPH and a MSc in Population/Public Health?

I'm thinking that a MPH prepares you for a career right after graduation since there are practicums/internships and a MSc is more for an academic career....

Also, would anyone happen to know how "easy" it is to get a job (in Canada or US) right after graduating with MPH?

Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Also, what about an MHS in Epi versus and MPH (Epi concentration)?
thanks!

an MHS (such as the ones confered by Johns Hopkins) is meant for students who do not have either the two year work experience or higher level degree (PhD/MD/DMD/etc.) to study more specific fields within Public Health. It seems that it's JHU's directive to have MHS students become more familiar with the scientific background of these fields as the incoming students may or may not have the background already ingrained in the majority of MPH students. In the end, the difference seems to be experience and also the broad/cosmopolitan education you'd recieve with an MPH vs an MHS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think the degree affects job opportunities? Some people claim the MHS is used as a lead-in to a PhD or DrPH, however I am fairly sure I want to go into public health practice after earning my masters.

most people I know who are at Hopkins in their MHS program are using it as a stepping stone towards an MD/PhD/DrPH...in terms of using it in the job market, most jobs just say "MPH or equivalent degree". An MHS could be considered that way, it would just be whether or not the job is specifically looking for people with that "MPH", if not, i don't see a problem.