MPH vs. PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jilly22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I have applied (and been accepted) to both MPH and PhD/DSc programs in epidemiology (with a global health concentration). When I applied I was really thinking that I would do an MPH, but since being admitted to some great doctoral programs I have been rethinking things.. because of the cost of an MPH, because I really am interested in research (although not necessarily interested in staying in academia), and feel like a doctoral degree would offer more job opportunities. Then, I got a full-tuition scholarship offer from one of the MPH schools.. which was great news but made the choice much more confusing!

So here's the question- is there any benefit to completing an MPH if I think I want to do a doctoral program afterwards? Would it just be a waste of 2 years? Do any schools have shorter doctoral programs if an MPH has been completed first?

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I have applied (and been accepted) to both MPH and PhD/DSc programs in epidemiology (with a global health concentration). When I applied I was really thinking that I would do an MPH, but since being admitted to some great doctoral programs I have been rethinking things.. because of the cost of an MPH, because I really am interested in research (although not necessarily interested in staying in academia), and feel like a doctoral degree would offer more job opportunities. Then, I got a full-tuition scholarship offer from one of the MPH schools.. which was great news but made the choice much more confusing!

So here's the question- is there any benefit to completing an MPH if I think I want to do a doctoral program afterwards? Would it just be a waste of 2 years? Do any schools have shorter doctoral programs if an MPH has been completed first?

Thanks for the advice!

Tough decision. But, I feel as though there is really no need for an MPH if you ultimately want a PhD/DSc AND you currently have offers for such programs. Because you also stated that you want to do research, a PhD program would obviously offer this while an MPH program would have a lesser research emphasis.
Are you being offered funding for the PhD programs as well?
What school is offering you a full-tuition scholarship for an MPH?

Assuming you have a PhD offer from a decent school that you are interested in, then I say go for that. It makes the most sense.
However, if you are looking for more opportunities to explore epi and are uncertain of your specific interests, then an MPH might be useful. Also, if the MPH is from your top choice school and is in your desired location, then that's something to consider as well.
However, it would add an extra 2 years and depending on your specific goals, having an MPH in addition to a PhD may not get you too much further...

Good luck with the decision!

Hello!

Thanks for the advice!

There is no advantage to getting a MPH before a PhD/ScD if you know that's what you want to do. You might be able to transfer several credits from your MPH that overlap with your future PhD if you do that option.

I used my MPH as a stepping stone to really help me figure out what I wanted. I entered the MPH program thinking that'd be my last degree, but my love of epidemiologic research took strong hold after midway through my 2nd year and that's how I decided on doing the PhD. All schools I interviewed at will allow some of the credits to be transfered in depending on the course equivalent at the new school.

I would say go straight for the PhD, especially if the funding was made available to you. Funding is especially tight and hard to come by, even at the doctoral level for the first year or two at most epi programs. Only in the most dire financial circumstances would I recommend going to the MPH first.

Hope this view point helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your advice. I am leaning toward going straight into the PhD program. It seems that the MPH would be a good choice only if I weren't sure I wanted to go into epidemiology and wanted to take some more broad public health classes.
Glad to hear you've had a good experience at BU, Stories (I saw some of your posts in other threads) - that is one of the schools I am considering for the doctoral degree in epidemiology, and it seems like funding will work out there. I'm also considering PhD in epidemiology at UNC... So if you or anyone has any input on these schools I would be happy to hear it!

Canadian financing US education - I recently got accepted to complete my MPH at Columbia. I am interested in hearing from people who got accepted to med school or other programs in terms of how to finance your education, since apart from OSAP and Canada integrated student loans, there is not much by way of financial aid.

Any thoughts from international students at Columbia are also welcome.

Thanks!

Hello fellow Canadian. Graduate or research assitantships. Full-time covers full cost of tuition plus stipend, part-time covers partial portion of tuition plus stipend.

I agree with previous posters -- it sounds like the doctoral degree is more suited for your future pursuits than the MPH. From my understanding, it is very difficult to get a top position on a research project without a PhD, and since it seems like that is your ultimate goal (academically and professionally) I would go for it!

Good luck!

Thank you both for your advice. I am leaning toward going straight into the PhD program. It seems that the MPH would be a good choice only if I weren't sure I wanted to go into epidemiology and wanted to take some more broad public health classes.
Glad to hear you've had a good experience at BU, Stories (I saw some of your posts in other threads) - that is one of the schools I am considering for the doctoral degree in epidemiology, and it seems like funding will work out there. I'm also considering PhD in epidemiology at UNC... So if you or anyone has any input on these schools I would be happy to hear it!

Most doctoral students at BU end up getting research assistantships right off the bat to fund their studies. It's a good compromise for work experience/living money, and msot folks are able to publish some work that isn't necessarily related to their field while working as an RA.

I would have loved to be at BU again, but unfortunately none of the faculty worked enough in the topics I'm interested in. It's also a bit weird if you do 3 degrees from the same school :eek: But I'm excited about my opportunities at Yale :)

I agree with previous posters -- it sounds like the doctoral degree is more suited for your future pursuits than the MPH. From my understanding, it is very difficult to get a top position on a research project without a PhD, and since it seems like that is your ultimate goal (academically and professionally) I would go for it!

Good luck!

Getting a PhD isn't necessary to becoming a head researcher. You do need a doctoral level degree, however. It can be a professional level degree (eg. MD, DMD, etc), but those degrees need to be supplemented with a masters (at the very least) that has research training.

JIlly22, Congrats on your decision. I hear UNC is great for research in epid. I'm still waiting to hear from UNC and LSHTM.Got into Umass for MS in epid. UNC's my first choice . Hope I hear soon. I wish you the very best in your studies.

I am going to be applying for Fall 2010 and was wondering whether I can take my chances and apply directly to some PhD programs (Pharmacoeconomics/Health Outcomes), whether I should apply to MPH programs (epi w/emphasis in outcomes or pharmacoeconomics), or whether I should apply to both. I want to get my PhD, and I am willing to get my masters first if that is what is needed -- but I figure that I can save a year or two of school and some money by foregoing the masters.

I graduated a top UC with a double major in chemistry and business economics. My overall UG GPA is roughly a 3.3. I have been working for a major pharmaceutical company doing clinical research for over 2 years now.

I haven't taken my GRE's yet, but I will take them in August. Right now I am just trying to figure out which schools to apply to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

You have any pubs/presentations?

And what's your PH background?

I am going to be applying for Fall 2010 and was wondering whether I can take my chances and apply directly to some PhD programs (Pharmacoeconomics/Health Outcomes), whether I should apply to MPH programs (epi w/emphasis in outcomes or pharmacoeconomics), or whether I should apply to both. I want to get my PhD, and I am willing to get my masters first if that is what is needed -- but I figure that I can save a year or two of school and some money by foregoing the masters.

I graduated a top UC with a double major in chemistry and business economics. My overall UG GPA is roughly a 3.3. I have been working for a major pharmaceutical company doing clinical research for over 2 years now.

I haven't taken my GRE's yet, but I will take them in August. Right now I am just trying to figure out which schools to apply to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

This list is not comprehensive.

A large number of schools require you to possess either a MPH or MS in Epi before you can be considered for a PhD.

Drexel: http://publichealth.drexel.edu/Academics/Degrees/PhD_Degree_in_Epidemiology/540/
UAB: http://main.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=95257
UIC: http://www.uic.edu/sph/degrees_phd.htm#qual
UMich: http://www.sph.umich.edu/epid/programs/doctoral.html
UW: http://depts.washington.edu/epidem/adm/admissions_criteria.shtml

Others strongly recommend you have a master's or higher, unless you have "exceptional academic" performance.

Tulane: http://www.sph.tulane.edu/epidemiology/admission.html
Yale: http://publichealth.yale.edu/cde/phd.html

Other schools require you to enroll in their MS before going to their PhD (unless coming in with another master's):

UCLA: http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/phd.html

If you're applying directly to PhD programs, do note that you will need to be an absolutely outstanding applicant to be considered. Otherwise, most departments will simply refer you to the master's program. PH has this requirement because few PH bachelor's programs exist. Also, you should have a VERY defined research interest (more so than simply, "pharmacoeconomics and health outcomes"--all PH is 'health outcomes', btw).

If you know you want to do a PhD, look into schools that offer a MS -> PhD track. This will make coursework the least intrusive (as almost all your MS credits will carry over to the PhD) and you'll graduate the quickest. If you have no interest in the other disciplines of PH, don't bother with a MPH and get a MS.

As for myself, I applied to 15 schools for my PhD and was admitted to 5. 33% is a pretty darn good number because PhD admits are usually in the 10-15% range (more competitive schools drop into the 5% range). I already have a MPH. During my Yale interview day, 15 applicants, 14 of them already had a MS or MPH in a public health discipline.

This posting is for my husband. He currently holds a Masters from Harvard in Technology. His main goal is work with medical informatics. He has has been accepted into a PhD program in Information Systems as well as a MPH (Same School).
Is it worth him to do another Masters, or focus on his IS PhD and lean towards medical technology and business. Having this background I could see him as a COO or CIO at a medical center, or teaching.

Any thoughts would be great!

This posting is for my husband. He currently holds a Masters from Harvard in Technology. His main goal is work with medical informatics. He has has been accepted into a PhD program in Information Systems as well as a MPH (Same School).
Is it worth him to do another Masters, or focus on his IS PhD and lean towards medical technology and business. Having this background I could see him as a COO or CIO at a medical center, or teaching.

Any thoughts would be great!

I don't see the point of him doing a MPH if he wants to be involved in the tech side of things. None of the skills he'll learn from doing a MPH will help him on that career path.

I don't see the point of him doing a MPH if he wants to be involved in the tech side of things. None of the skills he'll learn from doing a MPH will help him on that career path.

Well he has been in medical consulting for many years at a big firm. He has some of the "medical" background, but the thought was having the PhD in IS and MPH and Cert. in Informatics that would allow him different directions.
He would take the core MPH and then the rest would be informatics and could also carry over to his dissertation.

Well he has been in medical consulting for many years at a big firm. He has some of the "medical" background, but the thought was having the PhD in IS and MPH and Cert. in Informatics that would allow him different directions.
He would take the core MPH and then the rest would be informatics and could also carry over to his dissertation.

I suppose a MPH in PH Informatics (how many schools offer that? I'm not even sure which ones do) could be helpful for someone who only has a bachelor's in IT or CS, but the skills you'd learn from that would have already been learned in his master's and future PhD.

It's like comparing statistics, biostatistics, and biometry. They're all the same thing, really, just working with slight different datasets. If you've done one, you can do all 3 (just slightly different nuances between the disciplines which can be learned by reading a simple book and not getting a redundant degree).

But if he really wants it, he should get it. Just seems like extra work for no reason to me, though.