MPJE Questions follow-up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myst1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heya,

So the clarifications I need are likely general and not Florida specific. So I took specifically the Florida MPJE and I failed it by 2 points. I'm not very happy about that... but oh well.... I had some very confusing/convoluted questions with very weird scenarios. Eitherway, I have 2 sets of issues I hope someone here can clarify.

First of all - I got between 15-20 address questions about Chapter 797 USP - not sure if those are pre-questions (the ones that don't qualify) or not. Needless to say - I did not read that chapter and I was very unhappy.

My questions that I saw on the exam and hoping someone here can clarify/assist

1- I got at least 5 questions on... IN OFFICE USE scripts. So I know there's no way to get schedule II scripts or narcotics in general simply because of the following statement "Caution: Federal law prohibits the transfer of this drug to any person other than the patient for whom it is prescribed". I think you can get a DEA 222 for CII and Invoices for CII-V. However, can you still give those out in office? I'm drawing a blank here.

What about legend/compounded drugs? Can a physician write a script for "IN OFFICE USE ONLY"... if so what are the rules/laws associated with that? It's confusing because I always assumed it's 1 script/patient + specific instructions to patient. If you can prescribe for in office use only - what would the directions be?

2- I got a couple of questions on things that may make you lose your license... I assume DUIs aren't one of them? For some reason my exam kept referencing DUI... for example - if someone got 2 DUI and cannot drive so can't come in to work - as a pharmacist manager what do you do? I don't remember the answers - but it didn't make sense to me why personal life would affect your license. Some of the answers were do you report them to the board, to your supervisors etc etc... Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No meds can be written for "in office use." If a doctor wants them, legend drugs or CIII-CV, they must be invoiced. CIIs must be sold via DEA 222.

DUIs can certainly lead to action up to/including revocation or suspension of license.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the clarification! Now if a physician does invoice Legends and CIII-CV and use DEA 222 for CII to acquire medications for In Office Use Only. What are the rules then? In regards to usage?

Can a physician request a compounded drug as well?

@DUI - what is your responsibility as a department manager? Do you report it to Board of Pharmacy? Or are you obligated to report it to whom?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the clarification! Now if a physician does invoice Legends and CIII-CV and use DEA 222 for CII to acquire medications for In Office Use Only. What are the rules then? In regards to usage?

Can a physician request a compounded drug as well?

@DUI - what is your responsibility as a department manager? Do you report it to Board of Pharmacy? Or are you obligated to report it to whom?

Thanks again!

What the MD does at their practice with the drugs legally purchased from your pharmacy is not your concern legally.