SCRdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2007
Illinois
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I hope this isn't a dumb question. But, I was just wondering. At what point do people add the title "Dr." to their names? Is it right after med school or after residency? I ask this 'cos right after med school, one is still a "doctor in training". Or maybe you need to get a license before you add the title :confused:. Any thoughts?

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I hope this isn't a dumb question. But, I was just wondering. At what point do people add the title "Dr." to their names? Is it right after med school or after residency? I ask this 'cos right after med school, one is still a "doctor in training". Or maybe you need to get a license before you add the title :confused:. Any thoughts?
Once a doctorate (in any field) is earned, the person may use the title. That being said, only physicians licensed in this country can practice medicine period. Those folks who have graduated from medical school and are currently in residency, have a training (limited) license until they apply for (and are granted) a permanent license (after passing all three steps of licensure exam). There is no "doctor in training" title in this country.

nimbusadjust120

~Singaporean~
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Singapore
Status
Pre-Medical
Once you have graduated from medical school and received your MD, you are a doctor. "Doctor in training" is known as "junior doctor". ;) They are also known as house officer, medical officer or registrar.

About the Ads

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
As already stated. It is generally once you have received the degree. That being said, once in a while I've heard students be called "doctor" more for convenience and peace of mind around the patients. You should see the look of discomfort in some patients' eyes as they are told a student is about to do a procedure on them.... moderately humorous.

Quadratic

Currently not in function
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2006
Status

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
This is a dumb question...

littlealex

little tiny alex
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think the general consensus is that after your intern year, you are officially a doctor. Just a bottom of the food chain know-nothing doctor, but a doctor.

Hurricane95

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You are technically "Dr." in title after graduation...

I know several residents who are real cool (some of them recently former classmates) who go on first name basis with us like nothing happened (it would be kind of weird to place a sudden status barrier when I know them so well) but to patients they are still "Dr. so-and-so"

UCLAMAN

Air Jordan Collector
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
Corona, CA
Visit site
Status
I think the general consensus is that after your intern year, you are officially a doctor. Just a bottom of the food chain know-nothing doctor, but a doctor.
actually, as others have pointed out, you are a doctor as soon as you graduate medical school. so as an intern, you are a doctor. as an intern you are prescribing medications, your patients refer to you as doctor, you are indeed...a doctor. Its actually pretty weird to see your name as Dr. so and so on your patient's bottle of prescription of pills.

you are indeed at the bottom of the food chain(and have the least amount of clinical experience) as an intern. but don't get it twisted, you are a doctor.

MattD

Curmudgeon
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2003
www.yellow5.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's like 007... you need 2 kills

Doctor

of Doctors
10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
Arctic
Status
Post Doc
I'm a Doctor, perhaps even the Doctor around here, and haven't graduated from a medical school. So this seems to fly in the face of what everyone else has stated here.

All the best,
Doctor

PS - Email me if you need me to perform surgeries on you. I don't even believe in sterile operating environments, so we can meet up at the park, a public restroom, etc. Just remember to bring a friend because you won't be walking home and there may be a lot of blood.

It's like 007... you need 2 kills
Is there any extra credit for having more than that amount?

ESzczesniak

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2005
Chicago, IL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That being said, once in a while I've heard students be called "doctor" more for convenience and peace of mind around the patients.
I'm a second year and have one attending that insists on calling me doctor...not sure why, but it kind of bothers me actually. Just doesn't feel right.

About the Ads