MRI safety, especially for newbies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I had a Sharpie pen in my pocket, you know, the fine-tip one with a metallic pocket clip, and that sucker flew into the MRI scanner when I was close to the coil and leaned over. The patient was in the tube. Fortunately, the MRI tech was really cool and laid back and didn't make a big issue out of it. Didn't hit the patient. We just fetched it out. No report filed. I would've gotten my butt chewed for that one.

Just remember, something as small as a clip on a pen is potentially dangerous.

-copro
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah, the joy of being able to say "we don't do MRI cases". We told our Rads guys that unless they foot the bill for an entire collection of MRI-compatible anesthesia equipment (machine, monitors, carts, IV pumps, absolutely everything) that we would NEVER do an MRI case. And we never have. 😉 I guess they'd rather spend the money on their toys instead of ours.