Quantcast

MS in Pod School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

es255305

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Wow, I'm really interested in a post that said "[Barry offers] students who complete the first four semesters of the DPM program with good grades and already had a bachelor's degree also have the option of paying $25 to take a comprehensive test and get a MS in biomedical sciences upon passing it". Do other schools (main interest = OCPM) offer this too? It sounds like a great idea.

gasolino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i did the BMS program at barry, if you never heard of it, it sort of a combination of master program/postback program. You take similar classes as their first year pod student (this is back in '99-'01 when i was there). 1st yr pod students did have that option for them, to take our final exam and received the same M.S. degree in Biomedical Science. My class was actually also offered the option to go into the 2nd yr pod program after completion of our master program. Not sure if its still true. The M.S. degree is probably is little use if you go on to become a physician, i used it to get into a DO school. A few of my classmates back then did use the degree to become researchers and even high school teachers but they were small in number. A dual degree in MPH or MBA would do you a lot more. and BARRY WAS EXPENSIVE!

gasolino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
actually looking back, majority of my class did get into MD and DO schools, 1 person went to Barry's PA program. Worthed i guess

es255305

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So everyone started out as prospective pods and ended up leaving to become an MD or DO (or PA in the case of that one person)?

Feli

Übermensch
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So everyone started out as prospective pods and ended up leaving to become an MD or DO (or PA in the case of that one person)?
No, the BMS program grants a MS in biomedical sciences. It's a totally different program than podiatry - although you do sit side by side in some classes. The BMS is a SPM (special Masters program)...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106 (FAQ on SMPs)

Most of the people in the Barry BMS program are pre-med, -dent, -pharm, -pod, etc. It's a good program to do if you have a good MCAT but borderline gpa. It's typically undertaken by people who were rejected or waitlisted at their grad program(s) of choice and are looking to beef up their future applications. Some BMS students also retake the MCAT during or after they do the MS program. I hung out with a few BMS students while I was in basic sciences, and as gasolino said, many of them do get into MD, DO, DDS, etc programs after they do well in the MS. Especially for those who complete the 1yr BMS track with good grades, it shows professional programs they may apply to afterwards that they can handle a rigorous grad level science curriculum.

The students doing the 1yr BMS have basically the same curriculum as the 1st year pod students... same gross anat, biochem, histo lecture, neuroanat, etc. The BMS just have a different stats course, a bit more watered down histo lab and physio lecture, and they take nutrition and ethics instead of LEA. Due to the many similarities in curriculum, Barry then lets their pod students who have passed the basic sciences with no more than 2 "C" grades and have a BA or BS take the MS comp exam for $25 (re-take is $125 if I remember right). If you pass the comp, you get the degree.

I'm not sure if other pod schools have that MS degree option or something similar. I don't think Ohio would since they are a stand alone pod program; I'm not sure if they are allowed/accredited to grant degrees aside from the DPM. Scholl, DMU, AZ, or Temple have major university affiliation and dual degree offerings, so they may offer something like the Barry MS option... you'd have to contact the programs and ask.