MS vs MPH -- Can either lead to a PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really debating between an MS and an MPH in epidemiology. On the one hand, I'm strongly considering going forward to a PhD or DrPH degree. On the other hand, I'm also interested in possibly practicing professionally as an epidemiologist for a few years after I get my degree and I'm also open to the possibility that I may decide against getting a doctoral degree in which case the MPH would probably be more flexible.

I'm also torn in the sense that I do want the solid technical background the MS would provide me with, but I also actually like how broad the MPH curriculum is in terms of approaching epidemiology research from a more well-rounded viewpoint.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, either can lead to a PhD. I am currently in Brown's program where the MPH and MS students take many of the same classes. There are many MPH students who are aiming to apply to PhD programs immediately or a little bit after graduating while the vast majority of MS students will do so immediately. The MPH students who are aiming for PhD programs are more intent on getting research experience/publications than those who aren't, which (from what I can tell) is the absolute most important thing in standing out to future PhD programs, though I'm unsure about DrPH.

An MPH is not more flexible than an MS in the sense that there are usually more required classes because it is such a broad degree-- so fewer electives or choices about how to fulfill requirements. But its breadth is what makes it a better choice than an MS if you see yourself doing anything other than research right after graduating. If you're worried about not getting a technical education through an MPH, take a close look at the course offerings and requirements at the programs you apply to. See what stat programs they teach through (R, STATA, SAS, etc) and if you're able to take more technical electives like GIS or clinical research or do a thesis/culminating project with a mentor who does more "pure" epidemiology. You might be able to find a happy medium.

And I guess the last alternative if you really can't decide is to kick the can down the road and apply to both types of programs. Maybe this will be a clearer decision for you in April than it is now. Good luck!