MS2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtleboard

SDN Advisor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are or have been a second-year medical student at some point in your life, can you please share how your experience is/was?

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

Members don't see this ad.

My second year was better than the first, but not as good as my third! Here's to hoping my fourth is even better!

Billie

Second year is, by leaps and bounds, better than first year. However, now I'm freaked out about boards, but it still feels doable. I'm happier, more focused, and less floundering. In my experience it's totally true that if you survive your first year, you'll make it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just curious - can you describe how second year is better than first year? I'm in first year now, and our second years seem to have a lot more work than we do, so is it just that the material is that much more interesting? I know nothing can be less interesting than Biochemistry and that these things vary from school to school, but I'm just wondering what it is I hopefully have to look forward to
smile.gif

I have fewer class hours per week than I did last year, and the number of basic science classes I am taking at once is fewer in number. I also know how to study now, and am used to lecture styles and being in this place -- made all the more comfy by the comparitive newbies around me. I will get out in May (whereas I was here last year until the middle of june with the insanity of Neuro). The courses aren't as difficult for me, but YMMV. There are fewer labs. I am getting the big picture. And rotations feel close enough that I can taste them.

Nice to hear that some of you guys are enjoying the second-year. As for myself, while I had a relatively successful first-year and I thought I knew how to study, second-year is quickly killing off that confidence.
smile.gif
Sure the material's much more interesting, but there's about four-times more work in half the time.

I skip about half (or more) of my classes just to catch up. I am leading a somewhat less stressful life this year, however, since I decided to get one.
smile.gif
So maybe that's why... Overally I'm happier as a second-year because it's one year closer to the end, but perhaps the way our curriculum is organized could be better.

Good luck to my fellow MS2s!

Tim W. of N.Y.C.