MS3 in Unique Research Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgrape

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am applying for Urology for the coming match and have a competitive application (Step, LORs etc.) as a whole to support this. My application as a whole is fairly research heavy and has 5 urology-specific publications with quite a few abstracts and presentations related to them. However, the thing I've been worried about is that 3 of these publications were published when I was in a uro-onc lab for 3 years as an undergraduate student. Most of these are interesting publications in good urology journals (think J. Urol or BJU) and I am first author on two of them, so in my opinion they are representative of the work I put in and not just fluff. I will not be seeking out an LOR from my old PI as he moved away from academic practice when I was in Med School.

I have worked in an urology lab in med school doing some really cool clinical research, however, the work I have done hasn't been as fruitful in terms of pubs or posters. I will be getting an LOR from here.

SDN as a whole has differing opinions on both the worth of these pubs/research in the match and I was hoping I could get some Urology-specific advice on how to approach this here. I know my extended work in Urology displays my passion for work in the field but I have no idea how to be presenting this both in apps and in interviews. Should I be focusing on the more recent work? How should I contextualize my previous research?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't overthink it. You will just submit your publications, etc on your application. They may ask you about some of the projects in your interviews. Looks like you have some great stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I am applying for Urology for the coming match and have a competitive application (Step, LORs etc.) as a whole to support this. My application as a whole is fairly research heavy and has 5 urology-specific publications with quite a few abstracts and presentations related to them. However, the thing I've been worried about is that 3 of these publications were published when I was in a uro-onc lab for 3 years as an undergraduate student. Most of these are interesting publications in good urology journals (think J. Urol or BJU) and I am first author on two of them, so in my opinion they are representative of the work I put in and not just fluff. I will not be seeking out an LOR from my old PI as he moved away from academic practice when I was in Med School.

I have worked in an urology lab in med school doing some really cool clinical research, however, the work I have done hasn't been as fruitful in terms of pubs or posters. I will be getting an LOR from here.

SDN as a whole has differing opinions on both the worth of these pubs/research in the match and I was hoping I could get some Urology-specific advice on how to approach this here. I know my extended work in Urology displays my passion for work in the field but I have no idea how to be presenting this both in apps and in interviews. Should I be focusing on the more recent work? How should I contextualize my previous research?

Agree with Cpants. Just list your publications on ERAS in chronological order. Be prepared to talk about your research knowledgeably and succinctly. on interviews. Be prepared to dive deeper into any given topic (especially brush up on your older publications), as you'll likely encounter interviewers who also focus on the topic.

It may be worth reaching out to your old PI for a letter, as its absence may be noted. Not a deal breaker if you can't, but most PIs who you were productive for would be happy to write a letter. Just because he is out of academics doesn't mean he can't won't help or that his name won't be recognized.